Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 To Each His Cinema (!) 
Kypade

Post To Each His Cinema (!)
I doubt anyone here is interested in this, but I just came across this movie called To Each His Cinema and am pretty fascinated by it.

Some may know of the movie Paris, Je T'aime...I've been looking forward to it for a couple years now, and it finally comes out in the US in May I think. The concept is you get a group of directors from across the world together and give them five minutes to make a short film about Paris, City of Love. Then the producers or whoever have to edit them together and hopefully make some sense of it.

Looking through the directors on that film, I noticed a lot of them also show up on this new one, so I think it might be related, cuz this is the same thing, except instead of Paris and Love it's what cinema means to the directors.

But Now that I think about it, in the nineties there was a film called Lumiere and Company which was the same kind of thing. A group of directors get together to make a short film using the original Lumiere brother's camera (to celebrate the 100th anniversary of cinema...or that camera, anyway). That film I've seen, and it was interesting but not amazing.

But man, these other two...I wonder how they can not be amazing, with the people involved. Just look at the directors for To Each His Cinema:
Olivier Assayas
Ethan and Joel Coen
David Cronenberg
Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne (I just noticed their last two films are called The Child (which is very good) and The Son)
Atom Egoyan
Alejandro González Iñárritu
Hsiao-hsien Hou
Abbas Kiarostami
Takeshi Kitano
Ken Loach
Roman Polanski
Walter Salles
Gus Van Sant
Lars von Trier
Ming-liang Tsai
Wim Wenders
Kar Wai Wong
Yimou Zhang
(among others I'm not familiar with)

fuck, now that I think about it, there was also a movie about 9/11 with 11 different directors (many of which were in the previous three films too)...

and now I just ran across a film called "8" described as "8 shorts centered around 8 themes directed by 8 famous film directors involved and sharing their opinion on progress, on the set-backs and the challenges our planet faces today." I only noticed that one because Cuaron is directing part of it, but still could be cool.

I wonder if its a secret group that they all joined and decided to make these little compilation films about these different subjects or if its one person recruiting them or if it just all coincidence. Either way, I would watch all 4 of them if I has the chance. Like I said, I just kinda found out about all of this at once (except the Paris, 9/11 and the Lumiere ones) and I'm into garbage like this, thought I'd throw it out there.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:07 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Post Re: To Each His Cinema (!)
This and "Ten Minutes Older" are highly enjoyable.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]