Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 David Gordon Green's George Washington 
Teenage Dream

Post David Gordon Green's George Washington
I saw this film for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I've been pouring over it ever since. Here's a sort of review I wrote recently, and I'm curious if anyone else here has seen it?

George Washington, along with David Lynch's Mulholland Drive and Terrence Malick's The New World, is the first seminal piece of American film art this decade has seen. When viewing George Washington, people often make the mistake of watching it in the same manner one watches the majority of films they see. Things like plot and structure are at the forefront of what they are looking for. The problem lies with the fact that George Washington isn't about plot or structure - it's about feelings and mood. Memory, regret, frustration and loss is what this film is about. Yes, there is a vague outline of traditional film narrative in the sense that events take place that propel the film into motion, but to allow (force?) yourself to view the film with your sights set on these ultimately rudimentary aspects is to do a great disservice to both yourself and the artist in question, David Gordon Green. In order to truly apprciate this film for the utter and complete masterpiece it is, you have to be willing to give yourself over to its "voluptuous languor", as film critic Roger Ebert so beautifully put it.

A great number of films have dealt with the theme of one's desire to transcend their position in life, but I'm not sure I've seen a single one deal with it in the way George Washington does, and execute it with such beauty and grace. This film is not afraid to allow its characters to fail the way other films dealing with this subject are. In fact, I would go as far to say the film's core is about failure. It revels in the heartbreak and melancholy that comes with both the reflection of life's missteps and where you are today because of them (George's aunt and uncle - in fact, all of the adults found in this film), and also experiencing them first hand in your youth (virtually every event the children in the film go through). Even the film's landscape is tantamount to this idea - a rustic, industrial wasteland, overgrowing with weeds and graffiti.

The true power of George Washington, and in filmmaker David Gordon Green, is its ability to reveal the overwhelming beauty hidden in not only the aforementioned vistas, but also the failures of the film's characters. This is accomplished through both the films stunning technical prowess (the direction, cinematography and musical score are simply unparalleled in my view) and its heartwrenching, essentialy poetic dialogue. Every time Nasia delivers one of her truly memorable monologues, my heart breaks in two. Vernon has a soliloquy that begins with "I wish..." that rivals anything I've heard in any film before or since in terms of sheer emotional weight. The extremely realistic, but still highly artistic way the dialogue is both written and delivered is something I've never actually seen pulled off in a film before.

Everything comes together in this film in such a way that is so rare and so transcendent that I truly feel like the importance of this film, at least from an artistic standpoint, can not be overstated. It is said that David Gordon Green obsessed over the work of Terrence Malick while preparing to make George Washington, and it's clear in not only the visual poetry and use of a musical score that is ambient in nature with long chords and drawn out sounds, but also the nearly crippling emotional impact the film has on you. To watch George Washington is to become immersed in a film and intoxicated in an environment and mood created by a film. It reminds you of the potential power hidden in this unique art form, and it reminded me of why I love movies.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:10 am
Kypade

I have this as the best film of 2000, I think.
Admittedly, it's been a coupla yrs since I've seen it, and while I can't add anything to the thread, I can agree with your review 100%...especially paragraph 3, which is what I would have wrote if I could have articulated it at the time. :O

I think I'll bump it to the top of the queue, since I really don't have much there anyway, and give it a rewatch.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:26 am
Kypade

Makeshift, have you seen either of his other two films? (or anyone else for that matter).

I just finished All the Real Girls, and watched Undertow earlier this week. Undertow is pretty good, often great, but All the Real Girls is amazing. They're all three pretty similar films and its clear that he's a brilliant director. The only thing holding Undertow back compared to the other two was I kept getting a surreal vibe from it that would take me out of the story, make me think "this is a film," definitely a fault, when I thought about (and when All the Real Girls confirmed) just how good he is at creating worlds and characters that are absolutely real and involving.

He's only thirty-one, and only has three features so far, but David Gordon Green has shot up my favorite modern directors list in the matter of days. Two of the three are among the very best of this decade and even "minor Green," (:O :O) is strong stuff. I'm definitely excited about his next, Snow Angels (even though it's only at 5 sometihng on imdb.)

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:06 pm
Teenage Dream

kypade, I wrote this about All the Real Girls a couple months ago...

Quote:
It is often said that film judgment is individual and evolving. That it is hinged on outside influences, such as politics, age, or personal situation. People will even go as far as critiquing films based on "how they felt that day". While I feel that in most circumstances this attitude is a disservice to the filmmaker as an artist (as isn't it an artists' job to invest you in their art, no matter its genre or your place in life?), my recent viewing of David Gordon Green's All the Real Girls lends some credence to this theory for me personally. Without delving into (and therefore boring you) a Harry Knowles-esque, arbitrary and masturbatory rundown of my personal life, I will say that this film's emotional impact on me after one viewing (and the sequential viewings I've had since) was uttery devastating, and something I've never experienced before in quite this way.

I've made my love of Gordon Green's masterpiece George Washington abundantly clear in this very blog, so when I say that I consider All the Real Girls to be the better film, the weight of that statement should not be in doubt. Where as George Washington was every bit an art film and therefore rather laborious in its payoff and search for meaning, All the Real Girls has a much more clear, concise target for Gordon Green's gorgeous and brilliant filmmaking - young love/first love.

In narrowing his range, Gordon Green is able to focus his immense skill on one lone theme, and the results are positively heartbreaking. Made with a total lack of the cynicism and irony that one would typically find in a film of this nature, All the Real Girls dives head first into the earnestness, sentimentality, and resilience of love, particularly young love. And this is why All the Real Girls is the single most deft portrayal of this fairly common theme I've ever seen in any art medium, let alone film. When the character of Noel (portrayed with searing intensity by Zooey Deschanel) delivers lines such as "I miss your face", we believe it - and it hurts - because we've experienced this type of clumsy, inarticulate, but truly deep love before. And when Paul Schneider's Paul character feels the true and devastating break of his heart for the first time, we feel it with him, because we've been there before.

A thread that is unique to this film (at least in my experience), and possibly the thread that ties it all together, is the reality that once a love between two people is formed, it is inerasable and will forever bond the two, whether they are together in a relationship, merely friends, or a million miles away, both physically and mentally. When Noel tells an emotionally crippled Paul that she simply will not allow Paul to hate her because of her actions, it's not a pathetic attempt at some form of self-justification, but instead a brutally honest admittal that the love she has for Paul will never fade away, and she needs him in her life in some form, even if it's just the knowledge that they had, and still have, something special. This is what lends All the Real Girls its glimmer of hope at the end. Not of hope that these star-crossed lovers will reunite their relationship as it was, but of hope that a love between two people, no matter how much self-destruction and pain it caused, can continue to live on and enrich our lives in some way - whether it's through fond (not angry or bitter) memories or actual daily interaction. Gordon Green occasionally allows his sights to move to other relationships and people sprinkled throughout the film, and they all hold this same truth in them. This lends the film a level of depth generally unheard of in this type of film.

It is trite and monotonous to mention the artistry on display in this film considering George Washington, but it is just as hauntingly beautiful and lyrical as the aforementioned film. Gordon Green's lens captures the beauty inherent in his film's surroundings almost as well as his hero Terrence Malick, and that is saying something. The images on screen are once again accompanied by a simplistic, beautiful score, and are edited with a deceivingly leisure pace. Suffice to say, All the Real Girls is a gorgeous film.

This review my seem overly sentimental to some, but some would also say the same about the film it's discussing, and frankly I can't imagine better company to be in.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:40 am
Teenage Dream

<object><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FTrjVYno6Xk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am
Devil's Advocate

Hehe, I thought your avatar was supporting the college basketball team in March Madness... :unsure:

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:56 am
Kypade

Awesome, makeshift. You definitely nailed it.
It's also completely full of amazing lines:
"I had a dream that you grew a garden on a trampoline and I was so happy that I invented peanut butter."
"If anybody smiles at me ever again I'm going to freak out"
"I just want to be sure that a million years from now I can still see you up close and still have things to say."
"Last night I had a bad dream, that you were a river..." (not to mention her soliloquy about "Imagine...")
It might sound cheesy out of context, but its one of my favorite scripts in a long long time.

Oh, and the scene with the clowns? And the one in the bowling alley? Unreal. I mean, completely real, of course, but unbelievably good.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:08 am