Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Oscars 2020 - Discussions 
Post Re: Oscars 2020 - Discussion ( MOVING TO OSCARS FORUM SOON)
Chippy wrote:
What are you even TALKING ABOUT? It's just an award! Who cares if those other countries don't "honor america" by giving The Irishman the "best american film" award? Clearly people in the Academy want to give films that most americans don't see some sort of representation. I think it's great! It makes it easier for me to find new filmmakers and films that I would otherwise know nothing about. Other countries see american films, because we flood the market.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then that's a shame--I don't think it's very complicated. I didn't say they had to honor America--simply maybe look outside their borders (lots of countries not called America), which is apparently a good quality if America does it. Why not elsewhere, too? Also, you can find it great all you want that Parasite won--that doesn't mean everyone has to grow a boner over it as well. Notice how I didn't barge into this thread guns blazing calling everyone who had a different thought a piece of shit pearl clutching Trump supporter shitpost boomer etc. Simply finding it to be a ridiculous, pandering, and insincere gesture is a different viewpoint that I've expressed (and perhaps am having fun defending).

"We flood the market" is also kind of funny to me. Other countries don't *have* to watch American movies, y'know. They choose to for a variety of reasons, with money likely being the number one motivator there. America isn't always the evil demon who you are virtuous for shitting on--just often.

I get the impression some of you want to make this about white people upset about not getting enough kudos, or me feeling America is so awesome it deserves praise around the world constantly, or whatever it is that you *personally* feel very strongly about instead of what I've actually said--which is none of those things. :thumbsup:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:50 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Oscars 2020 - Discussions
Again... what the fuck are you even talking about? Are you mad other countries don't give american films awards? Or are you mad that because Parasite won, it means international films are TAKING OVER? Also, how is it pandering if... the best film won? What a crock of shit.

Nobody is calling America evil. Holy shit. Look in a fucking mirror.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:08 pm
Chippy wrote:
Again... what the fuck are you even talking about? Are you mad other countries don't give american films awards? Or are you mad that because Parasite won, it means international films are TAKING OVER? Also, how is it pandering if... the best film won? What a crock of shit.

Nobody is calling America evil. Holy shit. Look in a fucking mirror.

"I didn't say they had to honor America--simply maybe look outside their borders (lots of countries not called America), which is apparently a good quality if America does it. Why not elsewhere, too?"

That was the post you were just responding to. How someone reads those words I and interprets that I'm mad American films aren't awarded is...perplexing. Also, fyi, the best film won according to you. I'm sure many would object at Crash's win for Best Picture, but someone could just as easily say "the best film won" as if that means there is no further discussion on the topic.

Having a different opinion on this rather meaningless discussion doesn't mean I'm mad about anything. That seems to be another place you're conflating what I'm saying with who knows what your issues are. I'm not mad about any of this. This is an Oscars 2020 discussion forum--I thought it was for discussion, but I think "Oscars 2020 Approved Opinions Echo Chamber" would be more accurate.

I believe we're done. You seem incapable of reading the actual words I said and responding accordingly. So, have fun arguing whatever point you read instead of what is actually here. :yes:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:25 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Because you're incapable of seeing that maybe the most deserving film won? And you're incapable of thinking that maybe foreign films deserve their own award.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:47 pm
Defeats all expectations

It does not help the conversation to ignore the fact that the US film industry is a global business and a dominant force worldwide. It invites money and talent from all over the world and has a global distribution system. Its lobbying has led other countries to adopt American standards of intellectual property rights and business laws which make it easier for US studio films to enter their markets.

Films like Dunkirk, Jojo Rabbit, and Three Billboards would not qualify if you allowed only "American" films to compete.

Last edited by i.hope on Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:23 pm
100% That Bitch

Malcom made Chippy and I agree on something,. That's gotta be a first.

And yeah Malcolm you just sound butter at this point

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:58 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Post Re: Oscars 2020 - Discussion ( MOVING TO OSCARS FORUM SOON)
Malcolm wrote:
India, China, Japan, Korea, Russia, Australia, Ireland, Canada, and I feel like that's enough--those are just *some* of the countries that have a form of yearly film award ceremony to celebrate/honor/whathaveyou excellence in various fields. I perused their various winners lists over the years and didn't see much of anything at all outside that particular country's citizenry. Are all those places (plus many more) also in need of an awakening to the skills and talents beyond their borders? Or is that something only America needs to accomplish?.

You forgot the Cesars in France, the David de Donatellos in Italy or the Goyas in Spain to name three well known European countries. Those also never nominate anything that is outside their country. They may have a best european or foreign category, but it is a pretty chauvinistic affair.
The Oscars have been more inclusive since their creation, with the first best actor winner being german, and having foreign movies be nominated in other categories and sometimes winning e.g. Sofia Loren won best actress in Two Women (Italian movie spoken in Italian) or Costa Gavras and Almodovar winning best originall screenplay.

And for Magnus, sure, a documentary is a film and some are way better than what was nominated in their respective year, but then why have a special category for them. The Oscars don't make distinction based on genre, so get rid of the documentary, the animated and the short film categories too, and have everything compete in a single category called best film.
That would also cut some 30 minutes from the tedious ceremony.

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:15 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I was just wondering why The Artist was not sent for Best Foreign Language in the year it won? It is/was a French film with french actors and won big in three big categories. Did France not sent it as their nomination or was it because the movie is mostly silent and was released in US it wasn't eligible for Foreign Language category?

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11