Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Oscars 2020 - Discussions 
Post Re: Oscars 2020 - LIVE
So, again, what was *so* amazing about Parasite that it needed to transcend categorical lines? Aside from certain people liking to feel progressive, of course. :mer:

Why does Hollywood need to acknowledge other countries at all, frankly? This is an American institution--being a fan of people speaking the English language in nominated movies during these circle-jerk award shows is offensive now, also? Those horrible Americans--seeing movies in English and speaking English all over America with wanton disregard for those who don't...

Anyway, the Oscars have *always* been a joke--they're just a joke in a different way, now :)

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 am
What's so horrible about separating non-English from English speaking films?

Also, in theory I think the less categories/more noms thing makes sense, but again I guess I just wonder why it's America's job to recognize/acknowledge films from all over the world. I recall loads of endless criticism of American Imperialism and what gives America the right to extend its reach all over with our decrees of "This!" or "That!"--except if it's a movie awards show, then apparently the USA is required to appreciate everyone all over and make them feel special.

It's not as if the Oscars are sold as "The World Movie Awards" yet they only ever shower America with wins--it's an American circle-jerk awards ceremony :thumbsup:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Malcolm wrote:
So...are we done with the "foreign film" category now? I mean, why bother if they're also eligible for the "mains" as well? If all those movies this year were great enough to be nominated for best foreign film, why was only one "good enough" to *also* be a best picture nominee?

I'm sure lots of people are very happy, but...eh. I guess I'm a little lost why America has to include *everywhere* for contention in the main categories. Again--isn't that the point of the foreign language category? I just find this a bit ridiculous :thumbsup: Can a movie now be nominated for best picture *and* best documentary? What about best picture and best short film? I've seen quite a few short films that fired on cylinders and stuck the landing--why don't they get to play in the big boy sandbox, too?

I'm not saying it isn't a great movie, by the way--simply that it shouldn't be competing in the "main" categories of English speaking films. Again, if they want this to be the case going forward then do away with the foreign film category--having both is moronic.

Also, no breaking news here, but Leslie Jones is a dipshit :mer:

lol is this a shitpost? because this fucking sucks.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Malcolm wrote:
So, again, what was *so* amazing about Parasite that it needed to transcend categorical lines? Aside from certain people liking to feel progressive, of course. :mer:

Why does Hollywood need to acknowledge other countries at all, frankly? This is an American institution--being a fan of people speaking the English language in nominated movies during these circle-jerk award shows is offensive now, also? Those horrible Americans--seeing movies in English and speaking English all over America with wanton disregard for those who don't...

Anyway, the Oscars have *always* been a joke--they're just a joke in a different way, now :)

lol nah apparently this dude is just ignorant. and an asshole.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:45 am
Your arguments are astonishing. Do you teach somewhere?

EDIT: PM'd you to take this elsewhere.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:55 am
Sbil

Malcolm wrote:
So...are we done with the "foreign film" category now? I mean, why bother if they're also eligible for the "mains" as well? If all those movies this year were great enough to be nominated for best foreign film, why was only one "good enough" to *also* be a best picture nominee?

I'm sure lots of people are very happy, but...eh. I guess I'm a little lost why America has to include *everywhere* for contention in the main categories. Again--isn't that the point of the foreign language category? I just find this a bit ridiculous :thumbsup: Can a movie now be nominated for best picture *and* best documentary? What about best picture and best short film? I've seen quite a few short films that fired on cylinders and stuck the landing--why don't they get to play in the big boy sandbox, too?

I'm not saying it isn't a great movie, by the way--simply that it shouldn't be competing in the "main" categories of English speaking films. Again, if they want this to be the case going forward then do away with the foreign film category--having both is moronic.

Parasite is the first foreign language movie to win Best Picture in 92 years of ceremonies, so the pearl clutching here seems pretty ridiculous to me. A weird hill to die on.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:19 am
Simply having a different opinion isn't pearl clutching, fyi. The more you know!

Who cares if it was the first time in 92 years? That means dissenting thoughts/opinions aren't permitted? Why *would* a foreign language film have won at an American-based, English speaking awards ceremony at some point during the last 92 years? Again, I know everyone likes to feel like they're just the most accepting/progressive person on Earth and saying "no" to anything is mean--but simply calling me names or waving away opposing thoughts as unworthy is quite weak. And no one but Magnus actually addressed any of the valid questions I posed--you all just got on your high horse to shout down. Congrats! I wonder what the medal will say...

As somebody who has never voted for a republican in my life (as they have been backwards lunatics for just about my whole voting lifespan so far), this kind of nonsense makes me wish *so much* that there was an alternative to left-wing crazies as well. My hands are tied, of course, between white supremacists and batshit hippies so once again, batshit hippies it is!

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 am
Romosexual!

https://twitter.com/voyageofdameron/sta ... 74080?s=21

Is this you Malcolm? ;)

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:42 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

The Cove should've been nominated for BP. Though that was a rough year.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:28 pm
At least Magnus can understand English ;) Thank you!

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 pm
The Kramer

Parasite also hit all the right notes for the 2020 political climate. It was a more oscary version of Knives Out. It's not like they would have awarded a movie where Iko Uwais kicks a hundred dudes in the head just to be woke (even though I'd totally support that #JusticeForTheRaid2.)

Also, in hindsight, even though Jojo was the favorite, I felt the tide shift after 1917 lost Production Design, which was the best part of that entire movie.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:45 pm
Romosexual!

Magnus wrote:
pretty hilarious that #OscarSoWhite is not trending this year despite this probably being one of the worst offenders in recent years. i guess it doesn't become an issue when a POC film wins BP.

It's always an issue regardless if it's trending or not.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:33 pm
100% That Bitch

Malcolm wrote:

Ok boomer. Trump supporter detected

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:22 pm
Mau wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Hmm...

Malcolm wrote:
As somebody who has never voted for a republican in my life (as they have been backwards lunatics for just about my whole voting lifespan so far), this kind of nonsense makes me wish *so much* that there was an alternative to left-wing crazies as well. My hands are tied, of course, between white supremacists and batshit hippies so once again, batshit hippies it is!

Also, I'm 33 (easily located on my profile). Words and their meanings can be used in your favor, if you like--perhaps try reading & word comprehension before writing? :D

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:43 pm
100% That Bitch

Malcolm wrote:
Mau wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Hmm...

Malcolm wrote:

Also, I'm 33 (easily located on my profile). Words and their meanings can be used in your favor, if you like--perhaps try reading & word comprehension before writing? :D

Your point still stands as stupid, if a foreign movie or a documentary or a short film or an animated film is the best thing released that year, they should be eligible to win Best picture.

Why because best picture is supposed to go to the best of the best released that year. No matter how w define the categories.

It would be like saying the winner of best pop vocals album at the Grammys shouldn't compete for the album of the year Grammy, because it already won its regional category which is complete an utter bullshit.

So much bullshit only a trump supporter (or zwack) would think of.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:50 pm
I'm lost as to why quite a few of you need to *immediately* respond like insolent children to everything. Don't people know how to have a simple back and forth, anymore? I wasn't doing anything aside from simply having a different point of view than what was espoused in the thread up to that point. It's possible for people to have different opinions than yours and not be evil incarnate.

Also, the Grammys aren't the Oscars--same rules don't apply. There are many kinds of albums awarded. It's not as if the Oscars have Best Comedy, Best Horror, Best Drama, Best Action, Best Foreign, etc and then one all-consuming Best Picture. In that kind of setup I'd say yeah, winning a Best of X has no bearing on also winning the Best Picture.

Except the Oscars don't do it that way (not my choice, by the way--so don't blame me). There is just the one Best Picture, with a couple side categories of Short Film/Documentary/Foreign Language but those are all hardly arm-in-arm as far as prestige goes. I could go on, but seems like a waste of words at this point...

Anyway, Magnus *also* tried explaining what I was saying to the perpetually offended but I guess some can't be helped.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I just think it's dumb to suddenly say "well if THEY'RE allowed to be in this category, why don't we get rid of that other category?". It's nonsensical. Rarely do international films ever get recognized as "Best Picture" nominees! While eliminating it may some day lead to more intl films being nominated for BP, that's not where we're at currently. As we've all discussed before, this is why they gave men their own lesser Best Actor award. Sometimes you need spaces to recognize talent that doesn't often get recognized, due to discrimination.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:52 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Thank you all for participating.

To continue these discussions this thread will be moved to Oscars forum soon

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:14 pm
Defeats all expectations

Malcolm wrote:

Different criteria for eligibility separate "Best International Feature Film" from other main awards. "Best International Feature Film" contenders are non-English language movies submitted by foreign countries, and do not have to be released in the US. Each country not named the US can submit only one film for consideration. It is a special award for the Oscars to show the film industry connects the world.

Nominees for the main awards have to be released in the US.

P.S. I think if they did not make only non-English language movies eligible for the category, films submitted by the UK would win 8 times out of 10 because they were much more well-known.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:24 pm
Homo Dperious

Post Re: Oscars 2020 - Discussion ( MOVING TO OSCARS FORUM SOON)
Perhaps you should look at it this way: will they one day need an “American Best Picture” award if or when enough foreign films win? :hahaha: :funny:

And if there’s separate categories for actors and actresses, why is there only one category for directors? I guess there were not even enough female directors to fill the list. :funny:

:disgust:

Idk, this whole conversation makes the Oscars seem awkward.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:25 pm
Profile ICQ
Defeats all expectations

DP07 wrote:
Perhaps you should look at it this way: will they one day need an “American Best Picture” award if or when enough foreign films win? :hahaha: :funny:

They actually do this in Britain. BAFTA has an award for Outstanding British Film.

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:32 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Maybe if enough international films wins best picture, americans will make better movies /algren

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:15 am
India, China, Japan, Korea, Russia, Australia, Ireland, Canada, and I feel like that's enough--those are just *some* of the countries that have a form of yearly film award ceremony to celebrate/honor/whathaveyou excellence in various fields. I perused their various winners lists over the years and didn't see much of anything at all outside that particular country's citizenry. Are all those places (plus many more) also in need of an awakening to the skills and talents beyond their borders? Or is that something only America needs to accomplish?

This all seems like a bit of a mixed message, I suppose. America should mind its business except for matters in the art of film? Not music, not TV--those can be country by country and no one bitches or moans, but again--America must be the arbiter of the worldwide film industry otherwise the awards are unjust because...why?

As has been said already--award shows are simply fun popularity contests for X industry, they are not the historical decider of what matters and what doesn't. Movies from all over the past (from all over the world) have had their impact on viewers/filmmaking/public consciousness regardless as to whether or not any of those film award ceremonies I alluded to chose to deem them worthy of that honor.

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:56 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Oscars 2020 - Discussions
This thread will become regular post in the Oscar forum by Feb 29

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:18 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

What are you even TALKING ABOUT? It's just an award! Who cares if those other countries don't "honor america" by giving The Irishman the "best american film" award? Clearly people in the Academy want to give films that most americans don't see some sort of representation. I think it's great! It makes it easier for me to find new filmmakers and films that I would otherwise know nothing about. Other countries see american films, because we flood the market.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next