Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Spike Lee: "Everytime somebody's driving somebody, I lose" 
Orphan

Post Spike Lee: "Everytime somebody's driving somebody, I lose"
https://mobile.twitter.com/slowbeard/st ... 0427756545

LMAO.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:47 am
now we know

Post Re: Spike Lee: "Everytime somebody's driving somebody, I los
He cares so much. lol

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

He's got a good sense of humor.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:14 am
now we know

i.hope wrote:

Nice try, but yet again he acted like a child: https://deadline.com/2019/02/spike-lee- ... 202564402/

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:19 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Algren wrote:
i.hope wrote:

Nice try, but yet again he acted like a child: https://deadline.com/2019/02/spike-lee- ... 202564402/

Not exactly shocking.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:27 am
now we know

Right. He always does this. Embarrassing that he's 61 years old and still acts like a petulant 12 year old.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:31 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
i.hope wrote:

So he might be protesting Green Book's win.

That doesn't change that his answer was witty and funny.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:32 am
Defeats all expectations

Now I want to check out Driving Miss Daisy to see how in-touch or out-of-touch that movie relates to the present and the past.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:35 am
Orphan

Algren wrote:
Right. He always does this. Embarrassing that he's 61 years old and still acts like a petulant 12 year old.

Eddie Murphy did the same thing after losing for Dreamgirls.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Spike Lee has always been angry at the fact that he's nowhere near as talented as he thinks he should be.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:49 am
Defeats all expectations

His answers in entirety:

Quote:
Asked backstage at the Dolby Theatre if his Adapted Screenplay win for BlacKkKlansman makes up for Do the Right Thing loss at the 1990 Oscars and the Academy overlooking it for a Best Picture nomination, Lee quipped in reference to that year’s Driving Miss Daisy Best Picture win: “I’m snake bit. Every time somebody is driving somebody, I lose – but they changed the seating arrangement!”

Quote:
Pressed again about his sore-loser response in the theater after Green Book was announced as the winner, Lee responded, “Oh wait a minute, what reaction did you see? What did I do?” he continued. “No, I thought I was courtside at the [Madison Square] Garden. The ref made a bad call.”

Quote:
“Here’s the thing: Without April Reign, #OscarsSoWhite and the former President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, I wouldn’t be here tonight. [The Academy’s] more diverse. That wouldn’t have happened without Cheryl Boone Isaacs,” Lee told the press. “Facts.”

Quote:
With three nominations tonight—for Adapted Screenplay, Director and Picture—Lee prepared two speeches for the evening, he said, “one with the list of people I was going to thank, and the other was what you heard me say.”

“[But] I said to myself, ‘Self, your black ass won’t be up here again,’ ” Lee explained of his ultimate decision to go political in his acceptance speech, touching memorably on black history and the 2020 election, in lieu of a more traditional list of thank-yous.

There was much discussion in the room about the director’s 1990 nomination for Do the Right Thing, also in a Screenplay category, regarding the legacy of that film, and how it might be different were he to tackle it today. But Lee wasn’t interested in considering hypotheticals.

“The film was made when it was made. But the thing is, I wrote that film in ’88,” he said. “I was talking about gentrification, about global warming, and all the stuff I talked about in that film is still relevant today.”

Along those same lines, Lee feels confident about what the legacy of BlacKkKlansman will be.

“I do know that the coda of this film, where we saw homegrown, red-white-and-blue terrorism…Heather Heyer, her murder was an American terrorist act, when the President of the United States did not refute, did not denounce the Klan, the alt-right and Neo-Nazis,” he said.

Lee reflected. “This film, whether we won Best Picture or not, will stand the test of time for being on the right side of history.”

Of course, multiple journalists tried to get Lee’s thoughts on controversial topics. David Duke has seen the film—but what do you want to say to him? And what did you really think about Best Picture winner, Green Book?

“Let me take another sip,” Lee joked with a glass of champagne in hand. “Next question!”

https://deadline.com/2019/02/spike-lee-oscars-green-book-reaction-best-picture-1202564501/

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:06 am
now we know

Harry Warden wrote:
Algren wrote:

Eddie Murphy did the same thing after losing for Dreamgirls.

Seems it's not only white people that can be entitled little pricks.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]