Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What is the most anti sexual harrasment contender this year? 
Devil's Advocate

Post What is the most anti sexual harrasment contender this year?
Flav'd called it in February. After Moonlight and The Handmaid's Tale the best bet is another social justice warrior friendly win. Moonlight wasn't the real Trump response as it was too late

I think right now it's The Post

Last edited by Shack on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:43 am
now we know

Post Re: What is the most anti Trump contender this year?
Detroit

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:08 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Moonlight 2: Moonlightier

For real though I don't see a huge "F U Trump" movie on the schedule. Nobody expected him to actually win and movies take longer to make than TV so we probably won't get the anti-Trump crop until next year.

Right now I'll predict The Darkest Hour. It's traditional oscar bait but can be served with a side of "This is what a real leader is like, America!"

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm
Devil's Advocate

Detroit has pretty good reviews but the buzz doesn't seem that high. I guess the Darkest Hour could apply out of Churchill/Trump comps but I still think the winner is the Post for me.

Quote:
A cover-up that spanned four U.S. Presidents pushed the country's first female newspaper publisher of The Washington Post, Kay Graham (Meryl Streep) and its hard-driving editor, Ben Bradlee (Tom Hanks) to join an unprecedented battle between journalist and government in publishing the Pentagon Papers.

Quote:
The Pentagon Papers, officially titled United States – Vietnam Relations, 1945–1967: A Study Prepared by the Department of Defense, is a United States Department of Defense history of the United States' political-military involvement in Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. The papers were released by Daniel Ellsberg, who had worked on the study; they were first brought to the attention of the public on the front page of The New York Times in 1971.[1][2] A 1996 article in The New York Times said that the Pentagon Papers had demonstrated, among other things, that the Johnson Administration "systematically lied, not only to the public but also to Congress".[3]

More specifically, the papers revealed that the U.S. had secretly enlarged the scope of its actions in the Vietnam War with the bombings of nearby Cambodia and Laos, coastal raids on North Vietnam, and Marine Corps attacks, none of which were reported in the mainstream media.[4]

For his disclosure of the Pentagon Papers, Ellsberg was initially charged with conspiracy, espionage, and theft of government property, but the charges were later dismissed after prosecutors investigating the Watergate Scandal discovered that the staff members in the Nixon White House had ordered the so-called White House Plumbers to engage in unlawful efforts to discredit Ellsberg.[5]

In June 2011, the entirety of the Pentagon Papers was declassified and publicly released.[6]

This looks like a pretty good tie in to Russiagate, etc. and Trump basically declaring war on journalists. But it could be rushed as Spielberg wasn't even involved until March and they started production in early June it looks like.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:27 pm
The Incredible Hulk

Mudbound

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

The answer lies in: Which contender will irritate Trump so much so he will tweet to promote it?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:51 am
Devil's Advocate

Probably too late for this year, but between Harvey and Trump the next time they have a chance to give Best Picture to a sexual assault themed film it would be a good bet

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:34 am
The Kramer

This will be the first time a woman wins best actor! Take that sexist pigs!!

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:51 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

They can rename the categories. Best male and female whore and supporting ones too.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

The Call Me By Your Name promoters should make fake twitter accounts to bait Trump into RT-ing a gay slur, or send an undercover reporter to make him slip up answering a gay marriage question. Instant Best Picture!

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:47 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

This is going to a very awkward Oscars with all the sexual harassment/assault exposes happening right now.

I think Kevin Spacey's debacle may affect Call Me By Your Name. It wouldn't look good for them to heavily reward a film about a ~questionable~ relationship right now.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm
now we know

Barrabás wrote:
This is going to a very awkward Oscars with all the sexual harassment/assault exposes happening right now.

I think Kevin Spacey's debacle may affect Call Me By Your Name. It wouldn't look good for them to heavily reward a film about a ~questionable~ relationship right now.

Good call! I can definitely see it being affected.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Barrabás wrote:

I still can't see it hurting its nomination chances that much. It was never going to actually win. At least the romance in CMBYN is consensual and more age appropriate.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:13 am
now we know

You're being far too sensible. People don't think like that. People generally want to stay away from things that will spark controversy, and Call Me By Your Name will be that hot potato.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Well, after all whatever backlash Casey Affleck had with his harassment allegations, it didn't hurt his award chances, but I guess those were different times way back then.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:33 am
now we know

Not comparable in the slightest. There is a difference between making advances to a child and having a grievance with a co-worker. And there was 6 years between Casey's lawsuit and his Oscar win.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Algren wrote:
You're being far too sensible. People don't think like that. People generally want to stay away from things that will spark controversy, and Call Me By Your Name will be that hot potato.

We will see. I hope you're wrong but who knows.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:37 am
now we know

Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:

I hope I'm wrong too. I firmly believe in separating art from real life.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:07 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:

Awards shows are real life.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:34 pm
now we know

i.hope wrote:
Algren wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:

These award shows are awarding art.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
i.hope wrote:
Algren wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:

Hard to separate the two. I say creating and delivering art is real life. So is awarding art.

Campaigning budget, people networking, name recognition, social and political climate, voters' perception/ideology are just some factors essential or influential to the vote.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:46 pm
Defeats all expectations

i.hope wrote:
Hard to separate the two. I say creating and delivering art is real life. So is awarding art.

Campaigning budget, people networking, name recognition, social and political climate, voters' perception/ideology are just some factors essential or influential to the vote.

That said, I believe we should minimize the impact of these factors, and let the voter's opinion of the film itself be the only important factor.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:35 pm
now we know

i.hope wrote:
Algren wrote:
i.hope wrote:
Algren wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:

Yes, these days people can spin anything any way they want to. I tend to keep it simple. Films are art. Awards for films are for the art.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:

Yes, these days people can spin anything any way they want to. I tend to keep it simple. Films are art. Awards for films are for the art.

I wanted to be a purist. But like I said, politics is an inseparable element in the process of creating and delivering films. There is always this people element there.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:33 pm
now we know

Yes, and people should be able to separate art from reality. Those who cannot tend to be psychologically weak.
Call Me By Your Name is fiction and was made before any of these recent scandals broke.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next