Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What is the most anti sexual harrasment contender this year? 
Defeats all expectations

Post Re: What is the most anti Trump contender this year?
There is always this social-political context. Voters who feel uncomfortable with the film's depiction of underage romance in the light of recent scandals will ignore or campaign against the film. Voters who see the film as a statement to challenge society's false presuppositions about underage romance will root for it.

Film as an art is a reflection of society.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:25 pm
now we know

i.hope wrote:
There is always this social-political context. Voters who feel uncomfortable with the film's depiction of underage romance in the light of recent scandals will ignore or campaign against the film. Voters who see the film as a statement to challenge society's false presuppositions about underage romance will root for it.

Oh, Mr. Wise One, I know this. Check earlier in the thread and you'll see.

But I do not agree with this as I can separate the art from reality. I think people that cannot are basically just attention-seeking idiots.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

I often have to draw from real life to fully appreciate films just as a writer has to internalize reality in their films. I would not get the humor from Get Out without knowing the fear of police among blacks. I likely would not thoroughly understand the passion between the characters in Call Me by Your Name without any same-sex love experience. So it is subjective and depends on the social-political context and is also about social consensus.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:56 pm
now we know

To appreciate a film more, it can help to draw on reality, sure. To not praise a film because of real life is stupid. "Movie A came out at a time of a big scandal, therefore that film is bad" is ridiculous.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

"Movie A came out at a time of a big scandal, therefore I did not feel right about the vibe that film gave and decided to not root for that film" (provided that the voter had seen the film, but they were not required to) comes closer to reality.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:14 pm
now we know

"Controversial subject matters are fine so long as it's not happening in the media right now, because I am a fragile ferret that isn't capable of forming an opinion until society urges me to."

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

i.hope wrote:
I often have to draw from real life to fully appreciate films just as a writer has to internalize reality in their films. I would not get the humor from Get Out without knowing the fear of police among blacks. I likely would not thoroughly understand the passion between the characters in Call Me by Your Name without any same-sex love experience. So it is subjective and depends on the social-political context and is also about social consensus.

It seems odd to me to not be able to understand the feelings in a same-sex romance just because it's two people of the same gender. The feelings are universal. I can still fully understand the passion between characters in heterosexual romances. It doesn't take away any enjoyment of them for me.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:05 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: What is the most anti sexual harrasment contender this y
I changed the title, I think Trump may be off the hook for this year unless he has a run in with an actress we haven't heard yet. They'll have plenty of opportunity to get to him. This is the sexual harassment year now. I'd say Three Billboards is one of the best choices. A fierce woman taking it to pig men etc.

I wonder if the host will touch Weinstein or Spacey jokes during the show. Also really awkward that Casey Affleck has to give out Best Actress

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:54 am
Gamaur's sex slave

He may call in sick and let his brother do the duties.

Oh wait...

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:13 am
now we know

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Battle of the Sexes is the closest possibly. I don't think there's really anything about sexual harassment in contention. But if there were hello Best Picture.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:35 am
now we know

Doesn't the recent sexual harassment scandals just strengthen Wonder Woman's chances at the Oscars? WB should start campaigning.

Basically any film directed by a woman this year or where the lead is a strong woman will have a better chance than in other years. Basically The Beguiled, Detroit (also has the race thing going for it), Molly's Game, mother!, Lady Bird, I, Tonya, and Battle of the Sexes will have their chances improved. Whereas films like The Meyerowitz Stories, Wonder Wheel and Call Me By Your Name will have a much tougher job in convincing people they are award-worthy.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Gerwig winning for Lady Bird could fit the bill. Maybe they can't give either of the Actor awards to a female, but they can give one Best Director

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:42 pm
now we know

Darkest Hour feels so out of the race. It has nothing relevant going for it. It's not American. It's not feminist. It's not racial. It's a British film about a white man, and it doesn't even look so exciting. There is no energy around it at all. I think Oldman might be the only person from it to get any recognition. It'll hopefully do well at the BAFTAs, though.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Christopher Plummer for Best Supporting Actor!

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:58 am
now we know

That would certainly be a statement.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

If a white man switched bodies with a black woman, then touched themselves after is that racist sexual harassment? Damnit JP, you were so close!

Though for real, it does seem like Get Out is positioning itself as the only movie that will earn the academy political points.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:32 pm
Top Poster

Shack wrote:
I changed the title, I think Trump may be off the hook for this year unless he has a run in with an actress we haven't heard yet. They'll have plenty of opportunity to get to him. This is the sexual harassment year now. I'd say Three Billboards is one of the best choices. A fierce woman taking it to pig men etc.

I wonder if the host will touch Weinstein or Spacey jokes during the show. Also really awkward that Casey Affleck has to give out Best Actress

Three Billboards and Francis McDormand are very appropriate wins this year,

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:46 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Surely "anti-sexual harassment" is sexual consent, no? So...looking forward to seeing Fifty Shades Freed nominated in January 2019.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:22 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Nope cause in 20 years Dakota Johnson's character will come forward with how uncomfortable she was with her rich boyfriend using whips and chains.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:28 pm
Defeats all expectations

Easy answer: Call Me by Your Name.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:39 am
Devil's Advocate

The president of the Academy is under investigation for sexual harassment http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/john-b ... 202728864/

Yea, they're definitely giving a sexual harassment centered film BP as soon as they can

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2