Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:16 am



Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Best Picture 2016 
Author Message
The Wall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 16163
Location: Croatia
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
If Inside Out couldn't get in, I don't see how Zootopia can.
Maybe it gets in because Inside Out didn't?

If Zootopia was Pixar then it would maybe count, but no.


Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 63742
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
I haven't seen everything I want to see this year yet, but at the moment I'd like Allied to win best picture. I know it won't, but it should.

_________________
#RAMBO5 ... 20th SEPTEMBER 2019


Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:35 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Hmmm, I've been thinking...will La La Land become the second BP winner ever not to get a SAG Ensemble nomination? Because I am not sure how it can get an Ensemble nom, consdering it is really a two players piece for Gosling and Stone. No one else matters in it. Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, Hidden Figures, Hell or High Water, Fences and 20th Century Women have a better shot at an Ensemble nom. It didn't show up on BFCA's Ensemble nominations list either

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:41 pm
Posts: 25109
Location: San Mateo, CA
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
If Beasts of No Nation can get a SAG Ensemble nom with basically just two actors, La La Land certainly can too.

_________________
Recent watched movies:

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office


Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
xiayun wrote:
If Beasts of No Nation can get a SAG Ensemble nom with basically just two actors, La La Land certainly can too.


That is the exception, not the rule. They obviously were high on Beasts last year.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Sbil
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 48349
Location: Multi-tasking
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Dr. Lecter wrote:
xiayun wrote:
If Beasts of No Nation can get a SAG Ensemble nom with basically just two actors, La La Land certainly can too.


That is the exception, not the rule. They obviously were high on Beasts last year.


SAG ends up with crazy nominations all the time (last year's shitshow as an example). Nominating La La Land despite only two real performances in it seems like something they'd do.


Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:41 pm
Posts: 25109
Location: San Mateo, CA
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
https://criticstop10.com/ started updating for the current year. The top 3 should be pretty clear and separate themselves from the pack.


Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 48349
Location: Multi-tasking
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Jackie is starting to seem dead in the water for a Best Picture nomination after missing AFI, NBR and BFCA.


Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 am
Posts: 15082
Location: San Diego
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
xiayun wrote:
https://criticstop10.com/ started updating for the current year. The top 3 should be pretty clear and separate themselves from the pack.

Wtf at their pic of Deadpool lol


Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
La La Land, Moonlight, Hell or High Water, Silence, Fences and Manchester by the Sea seem safe to me.

The question is how many out of Hacksaw Ridge, Sully and Arrival they will pick. Because those are the only ones I think can still make it.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Sbil
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 48349
Location: Multi-tasking
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Dr. Lecter wrote:
La La Land, Moonlight, Hell or High Water, Silence, Fences and Manchester by the Sea seem safe to me.

The question is how many out of Hacksaw Ridge, Sully and Arrival they will pick. Because those are the only ones I think can still make it.


I'm actually thinking Arrival is safer than Fences at this point.


Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Libs wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
La La Land, Moonlight, Hell or High Water, Silence, Fences and Manchester by the Sea seem safe to me.

The question is how many out of Hacksaw Ridge, Sully and Arrival they will pick. Because those are the only ones I think can still make it.


I'm actually thinking Arrival is safer than Fences at this point.


I disagree. Arrival is sci-fi and Fences is way more topical and plays perfectly in the #OscarsNotSoWhiteAnymore narrative.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:13 am
Posts: 13635
Location: New York, NY
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Arrival is a lock, IMO.

I also really wouldn't be surprised if Hidden Figures snuck in.


Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:31 pm
Posts: 19700
Location: ville-marie
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
the "oscars don't nominate sci-fi" narrative gets a little waylaid by the fact that they've nominated avatar, district 9, inception, gravity, her, mad max: fury road, and the martian since expanding past 5 nominees.

_________________
Magic Mike wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
If John Wick 2 even makes 30 million I will eat 1,000 shoes.


Same.


Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)


Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:59 pm
Profile
Is this heaven, or is this hell?
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:30 am
Posts: 30692
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
We need some more Best Picture contenders this year, Awardswatch posters uniformly have Lion 8th.. MEHHH. And that's after assuming there's only 8 nominees and Hacksaw is in the top 7 when we know the floor could fall out on Gibson on nomination day

_________________
Follow WOKJ's official box office account twitter.com/wokjboxoffice


Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:54 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 am
Posts: 15082
Location: San Diego
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
I really hope Moonlight wins Ensemble at SAG. If LLL won then it'd be Stone, Gosling and... John Legend? lol nah


Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:49 am
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Shack wrote:
We need some more Best Picture contenders this year, Awardswatch posters uniformly have Lion 8th.. MEHHH. And that's after assuming there's only 8 nominees and Hacksaw is in the top 7 when we know the floor could fall out on Gibson on nomination day


For all we know, there could be only 6 or 7 nominees.

Also, I have Moonlight, La La Land, Sully, Manchester by the Sea, Hell or High Water, Arrival, Silence all before Hacksaw Ridge or Lion.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:59 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:41 pm
Posts: 25109
Location: San Mateo, CA
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
I still don't see Sully happening.

_________________
Recent watched movies:

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office


Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:41 pm
Posts: 25109
Location: San Mateo, CA
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Tie 1: La La Land, Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea
Tie 2: Fences, Hell or High Water, Arrival
Tie 3: Silence, Lion, Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures, Sully


Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 63742
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Affleck's Live By Night is still a major question mark


Not anymore.

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/li ... 201945547/

While technically competent, it seems to lack a certain verve. It may get the odd nomination, but it will win nothing, and it's certainly not in the Best Picture or Director race.

_________________
#RAMBO5 ... 20th SEPTEMBER 2019


Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:37 am
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 63742
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
It would be insane but also hilarious if La La Land didn't win any awards because of outrage from the Stuttering Foundation accusing the film of ridiculing people with the disability. :funny:

_________________
#RAMBO5 ... 20th SEPTEMBER 2019


Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:15 am
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 63742
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
It would be insane but also hilarious if La La Land didn't win any awards because of outrage from the Stuttering Foundation accusing the film of ridiculing people with the disability. :funny:

_________________
#RAMBO5 ... 20th SEPTEMBER 2019


Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:16 am
Profile
Is this heaven, or is this hell?
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:30 am
Posts: 30692
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
I'm pretty bullish on Lion after seeing it, perfect example of a film that should play well with AMPAs vs critics awards and the direction was much better than I expected. I don't know why its MC is only 68

_________________
Follow WOKJ's official box office account twitter.com/wokjboxoffice


Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:31 am
Profile
Into the fray
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 12:09 pm
Posts: 1826
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
After seeing La La Land, I think Moonlight has a much better chance at the win than I did a week ago. I anticipated a straight forward story, and it was not that.

I certainly don't think it's a lock anymore, but I do think it'll be tough for Moonlight (or Manchester) to have enough below the line support to overtake LLL on the final ballot.


Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:38 am
Posts: 2071
Post Re: Best Picture 2016
Algren wrote:
It would be insane but also hilarious if La La Land didn't win any awards because of outrage from the Stuttering Foundation accusing the film of ridiculing people with the disability. :funny:
Algren wrote:
It would be insane but also hilarious if La La Land didn't win any awards because of outrage from the Stuttering Foundation accusing the film of ridiculing people with the disability. :funny:

Is that a metajoke? If so, well played! :funny:


Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:43 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.