Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 2012 Contenders Discussion 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: 2012 Contenders Discussion
Yeah while it's always too early to write things in, barring a turnaround in reviews, Argo's ticket to the show is basically booked

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Does "Promised Land" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2091473/ look like a potential winner or what? Gus Van Sant, Damon (+Krasinski/McDormand/Holbrook), topical to the economy/heavy liberal slant, and looks like it'll be full of characters chewing each other out/yelling in full Oscar bait style. They also specifically moved it to December, so that could mean they're confident in it.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 pm
Pure Phase

Potential winner? Not sure, but it could be a strong contender. Van Sant does well with the Academy when he's in a certain intelligent-but-accessible dramatic gear (Good Will Hunting, Milk).

I'm not sure how wise those late, late December releases are now, though. The season starts so early these days. It has been eight years since a Best Picture winner came out in December.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:29 pm
Sbil

Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers (starring Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens playing wildly against type, and James Franco) is not an Oscar contender, but has premiered to a positive reception at Venice and seems to be a future cult classic.

http://thefilmstage.com/news/first-impr ... s-release/

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:51 pm
Pure Phase

Reaction to Hyde Park on Hudson is very tepid thus far. Bill Murray might slip out of contention in Best Actor, which could be good news for Bradley Cooper or Jamie Foxx or Richard Gere or another "waiting in the wings" contender.

Then again, the politely bland My Week with Marilyn still scored two acting nods.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:27 pm
Begging Naked

Actress last year was a lot weaker though than Actor is this year. And Williams/Branagh got much stronger praise than Murray is getting, which seems mostly limited to "Fun performance!" Barring a disappointing reaction, I think Washington for Flight stands a great chance at taking his spot in the race. I see the race as:

1. Phoenix
2. Day-Lewis
3. Hawkes
4. Jackman
5. Washington
-
6. Murray
7. Gere
8. Cooper
9. Foxx
10. Eastwood

Something like that. 7-10 are kind of a mess. But that Top 5 is VERY strong.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I can see a scenario where Phoenix wins big throughout the season, but then Jackman wins the Oscar in the end for playing the soulful hero in a big, poignant movie musical.

On another note, Best Actress isn't very strong this year. There's Helen Hunt, Keira Knightley, and Quvenzhané Wallis. One is a child. One is in a divisive, stylized, highly idiosyncratic film (Anna Karenina). Oh, and Marion Cotillard for Rust and Bone, which I suspect will be a highly regarded performance in a film few people see (foreign-language amputee drama with lots of explicit sex).

Same as Murray, maybe even worse, Laura Linney's performance in Hyde Park on Hudson seems to be inspiring almost no real, overt, lasting enthusiasm.

I wish the critics could shine a light on and revive Rachel Weisz's beautiful and haunting performance in The Deep Blue Sea, a gem of a film quietly released by Music Box in March.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:28 pm
Sbil

Both of Bradley Cooper's new movies (David O. Russell's Silver Linings Playbok and Derek Cianfrance's The Place Beyond the Pines) have been very enthusiastically received at Toronto so far.

Jennifer Lawrence could very well score a second Best Actress nom for Silver Linings, imo. Especially since she'll have the Weinstein machine behind her. The field is pretty weak this year, especially now that it sounds like Helen Hunt might be pushed to supporting.

I also think Marion Cotillard is definitely in for Rust & Bone.

Speaking of actresses, poor Amy Adams seems like she's going to get her fourth Supporting Actress nomination (for The Master) and lose again. She has to win at some point, right?

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:44 pm
You must have big rats

If there is any justice whatsoever, Quvenzhané Wallis will be nominated for an Oscar.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Dr. Lecter wrote:
If there is any justice whatsoever, Quvenzhané Wallis will be nominated for an Oscar.

I think she definitely will. The field is pretty light and the movie made a pretty big impact.

I also think, to echo my above post, Jennifer Lawrence is rapidly emerging as a strong contender in the Best Actress category. She's an ingenue with a nomination already under her belt coming off headlining a gigantic massive blockbuster. Tweets following Silver Lining Playbook's premiere at Toronto today:

Quote:
Steven Zeitchik ‏@ZeitchikLAT
Silver Linings Playbook another huge win for David O. Russell, hilarious and heartfelt. Cooper & Lawrence outstanding. #tiff12

Vicki Essex ‏@VickiEssex
Silver Linings Playbook: proving Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper have range. #TIFF12

Hollywood Elsewhere ‏@wellshwood
"Silver Linings Playbook" is a huge surprise! Wow! Best Picture contender for sure & Jennifer Lawrence an absolute lock for Best Actress.

Hollywood Elsewhere ‏@wellshwood
I'm not kidding -- "Silver Linings Playbook" is THE surprise of the festival! Jennifer Lawrence has nom IN THE BAG. Ditto DeNiro for BSA.

Michael Schwartz ‏@mikemovie
WOW! I am hearing from industry insiders that "Silver Linings Playbook" is the Weinsteins golden goose this season. Lawrence is now a lock.

Michael Schwartz ‏@mikemovie
Ladies and Gentleman, I think by February we may be able to refer to Jennifer Lawrence as Oscar winner. #SilverLiningsPlaybook

Jer.K ‏@jeremykaposy
I loved 'The Silver Linings Playbook'. Electrifying and funny. Jennifer Lawrence was great. #tiff12

ioncinema ‏@ioncinema
#TIFF2012 Silver Linings Playbook is the real deal folks. Reminds/better than Flirting with Disaster - Lawrence's career best

Lou Lumenick ‏@LouLumenick
SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK: 100 pounds of Weinstein schmaltz in a 50 pound sack. J. Lawrence acts B. Cooper right off the screen. #TIFF12

Ewan McGregor ‏@mcgregor_ewan
Holly Shit! 'Silver linings Playbook' is great too. 3 for 3 so far. Across the board brilliant performances! Brilliant.

Anne Thompson ‏@akstanwyck
#TIFF12 the Oscar race is on: silver linings playbook with a happily smiling harvey behind it will be a major contender across the board.

Chris Knight ‏@ChrisKnightfilm
The embargo is over! I can finally say I loved Silver LiningsPlaybook. Great fun - 4 stars!

Matt Dentler ‏@MattDentler
As far as movies with pill-popping Bradley Cooper and sage-like Robert De Niro go, "Silver Linings Playbook" is way better than "Limitless."

Really enjoyed "Silver Linings Playbook." Awesome ensemble cast with De Niro doing his best performance in maybe 20 years. #TIFF12

Thinking about how "Silver Linings Playbook" fits in the David O. Russell canon, but it's definitely one of his best. Audience award?#TIFF

cassian elwes ‏@cassianelwes
Silver linings playbook - what a f...g great movie. Sneaks right up on you. Can't wait to see it again. #hit

Vinay Virmani ‏@Vinayvirmani24
The Silver Linings Playbook an inspiring brilliant film. So proud to see @AnupamPkher delivering a knockout performance! Congrats Sir.

Sunaina Verma ‏@TheSunainaVerma
Omg a fantastic film Silver Linings Playbook ! So proud of @AnupamPkher role in it!! Bradley Cooper & Robert De Niro are so awesome #TIFF12

Julia Marchitto ‏@juliamarchitto
Went to my first ever #tiff gala! Saw Silver Linings Playbook. SO GOOD. Sat in the same room as Robert de Niro!!

Chris McEwen ‏@mrchrismcewen
And TIFF audiences are loving Silver Linings Playbook too! Awesome. David O. Russell knocked that one out of the park.

Joseph Braverman ‏@JBAwardsCircuit
Suffice it to say, I'm feeling very happy with my gut right about now #SilverLiningsPlaybook #Oscars

Kevin Swint ‏@kswint
#SilverLiningsPlaybook has best dance scene since Pulp Fiction. Don’t miss it. #TIFF

Fabiola Garza ‏@fabgza
#silverliningsplaybook who knew they could dance so well ?!?! #bradleycooper #jenniferlawrence #TIFF12

Patrick Roy ‏@PatrickRoyViva
Merveilleuse Jennifer Lawrence! #SilverLiningsPlaybook #TIFF12

Yorkdale Style ‏@YorkdaleStyle
Just finished watching #silverliningsplaybook w/Robert De Niro, Jennifer Lawrence + Bradley Cooper!! Cc @alliancefilms ^EC #tiff12

Rashmi ‏@rashmisudan
#SilverLiningsPlaybook was an amazing film! Thank you @alliancefilms. #TIFF12

kimbai ‏@impeccablelogic
#SILVERLININGSPLAYBOOK is an absolute masterpiece. #TIFF

GUESS ‏@GUESS
#silverliningsplaybook was amazing! Cast was incredible...this is a must see when it comes out! #guesslovestiff12 #tiff12

Michael Patrick ‏@mpsayshello
Silver Linings Playbook: Oscar material.

Scott Mantz ‏@MovieMantz
Review SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK: winning turns from #JenniferLawrence and #BradleyCooper! Funny, entertaining, but goes into overtime! #TIFF

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

Best Actor frontrunner: Joaquin Phoenix
Best Actress frontrunner: Jennifer Lawrence
Best Supporting Actress frontrunner: Anne Hathaway
Best Supporting Actor frontrunner: Philip Seymour Hoffman

Almost sure BP nominees:
The Master
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:27 am
Pure Phase

I s'pose Hoffman is the frontrunner since his film has been seen, but Crowe and DiCaprio certainly seem very strong, too.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:29 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Does it not blow everyone else's mind that Jennifer Lawrence got her start on THE BILL ENGVALL SHOW?

For reals.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:15 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Jennifer Lawrence is really amazing in Silver Linings Playbook. A nomination would be totally justified.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:57 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

^ Hollywood Reporter and Variety both loved Silver Linings Playbook, and Lawrence in it (Cooper too).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... iew-368930

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117948262/

Or these two reviews:

Hitflix wrote:
While Cooper deserves kudos for his performance in “Playbook,” it’s Lawrence who absolutely steals the movie. Her portrayal of Tiffany is both fierce and tragic. She constructs Tiffany as a blunt and intelligent woman that is unashamed of her sexual dalliances even if her friends and family feel she’s just acting out. Tiffany is not a happy or pleasant person most of the time (she rarely cracks a smile), but Lawrence finds a way to have you rooting for her at the end. Lawrence has arguably impressed in every movie she’s starred in during her short big screen career, but her performance in “Playbook” deservedly ranks alongside her Oscar nominated turn in 2007’s “Winter’s Bone.” It’s not a reach to suggest her Academy peers may recognize her once more this January.

Showbiz 411 wrote:
Jennifer Lawrence is just 22 years old. She already has an Oscar nomination for “Winter’s Bone.” She’s also the star of one of the biggest movie franchises in history, “The Hunger Games.” But it’s going to be her work in David O. Russell’s “Silver Linings Playbook” that will earn her another nomination this winter, and very likely a win. Lawrence is a revelation as Tiffany, a young widow with let’s say some socialization problems. At the film’s premiere tonight in Toronto at Roy Thomson Hall, it’s an understatement to say the audience was gobsmacked by her performance.

Lawrence becoming the frontrunner really makes a lot of sense. It's a weak field for lead actresses this year and her "arc," if you will, has quite the hook.

Last edited by Libs on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am
Pure Phase

One "problem" maybe facing Joaquin Phoenix this season is...Joaquin Phoenix. ;) If he continues to pull, "I am a troubled genius. Shine not a light upon me. Oh, the tortured soul! How dare you present me with a question at a press conference!" acts similar to the one in Venice, Academy members might sour on him, particularly next to the easygoing, old-fashioned charisma of Hugh Jackman, Bradley Cooper, Jamie Foxx, etc.

Such behavior counteracts the perception the I'm Still Here era has ended.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:11 pm
Pure Phase

Is anyone at this point expecting or predicting The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to be nominated for Best Picture?

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:01 pm