Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 2012 Contenders Discussion 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: 2012 Contenders Discussion
This is getting a BP nom. You can bet your life on it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:54 am
Top Poster

The tragedy wiped away any chance of a BP nomination.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

If anything... it helped.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:44 pm
Superfreak

Alex Y. wrote:
The tragedy wiped away any chance of a BP nomination.

What? If anything, it will serve to increase TDKRs presence there.

Had Caine & Hathaway had enough material, they could have challenged for nominations. Nolan reallllly has the baddies down. Eckhart was oscar worthy in TDK too imo.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:47 am
College Boy T

I think it trivializes the film and dilutes the film's 'real world' applicability.

TDK was sold as a crime drama. TDKR, post shooting, is just a superhero film.

Not saying that's the way it ought to be seen, however

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm
Pure Phase

I don't believe it'll be forgotten. A lot of this year's stories will be--the murder of Trayvon Martin, for instance, or most of the election "controversies"--but the theatre shooting seems closer to the Oklahoma City bombing or Columbine. One people will remember.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:03 pm
College Boy T

Right, but people aren't going to revisit the film. Unless voters saw it before the shooting, their reactions - like it or not - will be impacted. Even if you think it'll be forgotten, the majority of the voters aren't going to see TDKR for the first time in November when they get a screener.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:09 pm
Superfreak

yeah, this will be forgotten by the main stream media soon enough, like they always. romney should be announcing his vp fairly soon, probably around then.

I can see a best picture nomination. Its an excellent all around movie, they were snubbed last time, the shooting makes it sympathetic, huge box office haul, etc.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:33 pm
Extraordinary

The TDKR only deserves sound noms IMO, nothing else.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Your sentence doesn't make sense.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:06 pm
Begging Naked

The shooting won't be a factor by December, but it still won't be nominated. TDK was very much a special event, both in how different it was from everything that came before in the Superhero genre, and in how much of a massive hit it was. For TDKR, the general agreement seems to be "Awesome, not as awesome as TDK," and it's not becoming the cultural phenomenon that TDK was.

It could do well in the techs (Like 5-7 nominations), but I don't think it'll be a factor in the main categories. Hunger Games strikes me as more likely, actually.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Inception also didn't have to deal with the superhero stigma. It could be presented to the more closed-minded, older, "stodgier" male Academy members as a serious science fiction film and Leonardo DiCaprio vehicle.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:28 pm
David wrote:
Inception also didn't have to deal with the superhero stigma. It could be presented to the more closed-minded, older, "stodgier" male Academy members as a serious science fiction film and Leonardo DiCaprio vehicle.

I wasn't aware of any other kind :thumbsup:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:32 am
Pure Phase

There are a few women in there, I'm told. If you examine very closely.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:17 am
Forum General

I may have missed it, but just skimming through the 3 pages, has no one mentioned The Hobbit?

I'm thinking tons of technical noms, BP, BD, and possibly best actor/supp. actor for Freeman and/or McKellen.

As for TDKR, I'm thinking it will be limited to tech. noms. Maybe a BP nom if a few films falter this fall.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The Hobbit isn't going to be big this year, IMO. A few obligatory technical nominations, but nothing more. It has so much against it:

a. It's part one of a three-part fantasy film.

b. The 2004 ceremony: "Uncle! Christ, uncle! Here! Every Oscar we have! They're yours!" There is no urge to reward Peter Jackson any longer, certainly not for returning to this franchise.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:49 am
You must have big rats

So, basically, the only serious contender at any major noms released so far is Moonrise Kingdom, eh? (no, TDKR is not a major contender).

I'd love for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to snatch one or two acting noms, but that isn't happening.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

David wrote:
The Hobbit isn't going to be big this year, IMO. A few obligatory technical nominations, but nothing more. It has so much against it:

a. It's part one of a three-part fantasy film.

b. The 2004 ceremony: "Uncle! Christ, uncle! Here! Every Oscar we have! They're yours!" There is no urge to reward Peter Jackson any longer, certainly not for returning to this franchise.

Fellowship of the Ring, also part 1 of 3, was nominated for 13 Oscars and won 4. I didn't say The Hobbit would win it's awards, but to not mention it in a Contenders discussion thread is silly.

If the Hobbit is even close to the quality of the LOTR trilogy, I find it hard to believe it won't be nominated for best picture, especially with the expanded field.

While I'm sure there is some truth to point b., I think in the end it comes down to the quality of the movie more than "we already gave them awards, so let's give them to someone else this time" kind of thinking.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I don't expect The Hobbit will be as rapturously received as The Fellowship of the Ring. It's entering much more...controversial waters. Critics are tired of Peter Jackson. People hate how the story is being elongated to three films.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:00 am
Forum General

David wrote:
I don't expect The Hobbit will be as rapturously received as The Fellowship of the Ring. It's entering much more...controversial waters. Critics are tired of Peter Jackson. People hate how the story is being elongated to three films.

Critics are tired of Peter Jackson? He's directed two films since LOTR. One was well-received, the other was not. I don't buy that argument at all.

Some people, I'm sure, are annoyed by the elongating of The Hobbit. I am not one of them, and I'm sure there are many who are fine with it as well. A lot of stuff is not fully explained, just skipped over, or just referenced in the appendices in the book. Jackson is fleshing it out and telling a fuller story. I think this is a good thing.

If anything, I think it limits it's box office potential far more than it's awards potential.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I'm not saying they hate him, but between him trying to turn The Lovely Bones into a CGI epic and his recent "behavior" (the tepidly received 48fps, further dividing The Hobbit), I do believe Jackson has largely exhausted any post-Rings goodwill among non-nerd critics.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:17 am
Forum General

David wrote:
I'm not saying they hate him, but between him trying to turn The Lovely Bones into a CGI epic and his recent "behavior" (the tepidly received 48fps, further dividing The Hobbit), I do believe Jackson has largely exhausted any post-Rings goodwill among non-nerd critics.

I never read, nor watched The Lovely Bones, so I can't really comment on it. But I get the idea that most critics (2/3) thought it was overdone in the effects, and the story suffered. Well, what director of major blockbusters hasn't had that happen?

And why is it bad behavior to shoot the film in 48fps, then screen an extremely early version of a scene so some people can see how it's coming?

I just think that most critics will approach The Hobbit thinking "he did good with LOTR, let's see how he does with The Hobbit", rather than "The Lovely Bones sucked, so this probably will too."

Of course he's exhausted good will from LOTR, those films are 8-10 years old. It doesn't mean a new film can't be liked by them if it's good.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

We'll see. You're obviously a fanboy, so I don't blame you for staying optimistic.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:56 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

What a stupid thing to say.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:51 pm
Pure Phase

Sorry my post wasn't any help to you, Chippy. Just know I think the world of you.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next