Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Batman Begins 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 95 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 21 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 127

Batman Begins 
College Boy Z

Post Batman Begins
Batman Begins

Quote:
Batman Begins is a 2005 superhero film based on the fictional DC Comics character Batman, directed by Christopher Nolan. It stars Christian Bale as Batman, along with Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Cillian Murphy, Morgan Freeman, Ken Watanabe, Tom Wilkinson, and Rutger Hauer. The film reboots the Batman film series, telling the origin story of the character and begins with Bruce Wayne's initial fear of bats, the death of his parents, and his journey to becoming Batman. It draws inspiration from classic comic book storylines such as The Man Who Falls, Batman: Year One, and Batman: The Long Halloween.

After a series of unsuccessful projects to resurrect Batman on screen following the 1997 critical failure of Batman & Robin, Nolan and David S. Goyer began work on the film in early 2003 and aimed for a darker and more realistic tone, with humanity and realism being the basis of the film. The goal was to get the audience to care for both Batman and Bruce Wayne. The film, which was primarily shot in England and Chicago, relied on traditional stunts and miniatures—computer-generated imagery was used minimally. A new Batmobile (called the Tumbler) and a more mobile Batsuit were both created specifically for the film.

Batman Begins was critically and commercially successful. The film opened on June 15, 2005 in the United States and Canada in 3,858 theaters. It grossed $48 million in its opening weekend, eventually grossing over $372 million worldwide. The film received an 84% overall approval rating from Rotten Tomatoes. Critics noted that fear was a common theme throughout the film, and remarked that it had a darker tone compared to previous Batman films. A sequel titled The Dark Knight was released in July 2008 and also saw the return of both Nolan and Bale to the franchise.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:03 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I'll just copy and paste my review from the other thread, but I gave this an "A" and it's certainly better than the last 2 piles of Schumacher crap, but better than the 1st BATMAN 1989?? No, but close.. I also think Keaton and Bale are about on par with one another, but I dug Keaton's psychological look he gave it more than Bale's interpretation of him, but still good.. One can only hope the film does well box office wise cause it deserves to, but as I've pointed out as well as a handful of others around the Net and that is this film won't be for everyone and I have played around with the theory as to how this film would've done in the Fall as opposed to the Summer cause it really doesn't come across as being like a typical summer movie with too much thinking and talking as opposed to non stop action which audiences are used to.. That's why I feel this will pull a HULK in it's 2nd weekend and drop 60%.. Anyway, my review below..

Joel Schumacher should see this movie IMMEDIATELY and ask himself WHY he didn't make the last 2 movies like this.. I don't have much time to get into this cause I'm on my way to work with very little sleep, but the highlights of what I liked:

I really loved the tone and feel of the movie, even though the 1st half is bogged down with alot of chit chat and expostion, the 2nd half with the action is where it shines best...... This Ladies and Gentlemen is The Dark Knight at it's Finest, the way The Dark Knight should be portrayed.. I loved the relationship between Commissioner Gordon and BATMAN and if there is 1 wish I could ask for, is that Nolan NOT put Robin in any of the next 2 movies as a dumb sidekick, but keep Gordon as BATMAN's sidekick.. BATMAN doesn't need Robin, especially the way he was in this movie.. I enjoyed The Scarecrow, however, I don't feel he's near as good as The JOKER and that I can agree with TIME Magazine on.. Also, I wish Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson had bigger roles than what they did in this film because they sort of semed like there were just wasted, but nevertheless, they were good when they were present.. As for who's the better BATMAN/Bruce Wayne?? I still say Michael Keaton hands down was far beter than Christian Bale, but Bale did a good job to.. It's just that Keaton defied odds and really pulled it off much better than Bale and 1 other thing I would like corrected in the next 2 films: Make Bales BATMAN mask a little smaller, cause it seemed a little big for his face making it look somewhat awkward..

On a scale of 1-10, I give BATMAN BEGINS A 9.5... Very very good...

Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Fantastic movie all around. I liked just about everything about it. Everyone that was cast in this movie fit the part perfectly and there were no bad performances. My only problem with it, and this is really small is that anytime Bale was fighting it was a tad hard seeing what was going on, too close and the shaky cam doesn't work. I like to see whats going on, not feel like im in a blender. My only gripe. I gave the movie an A. Im very surprised at how dark many parts of the movie are and how many of the scenes with the Scarecrow seem like a horror movie. A kudos to all involved. =D>

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:55 am
College Boy Z

http://www.worldofkj.com/Zingaling-BatmanBegins.php

Quote:
Being a huge fan of the Batman series, it was more of an obligation to watch the first showing of Batman Begins. From when I was a little one, Batman was a huge part of the start of my love for movies. Tim Burton’s Batman came out the same year I was born, and while I didn’t know that I watched it that year, I actually did. As the years went by and my understanding for the things around me grew, I was intrigued by the black knight. Every little kid needs a hero, and for me, it was always Batman. The next few movies just increased my love for Batman. That is, until Joel Schumacher thought it would be funny to insult the intelligence of the Batman fans and release Batman and Robin.

Eight years have gone by and my love for movies has not only reached great heights, but now I also see the difference between the good and the bad. Batman, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever were good movies. Batman and Robin was insulting. Thankfully, Schumacher didn’t decide to do Batman Begins. Instead, Christopher Nolan, the director behind Memento and Insomnia, took over the directing chair and made what could be the great comic book movie ever created.

Batman Begins is not a sequel to Schumacher’s “work of art”. Nolan gives us a look at what happened before the original Batman. It’s a look at how he chose to become Batman, what difficulties he faced, and a lot of background story on his childhood and family. Christian Bale (Equilibrium, Reign of Fire, and The Machinist) plays Bruce Wayne, the young billionaire of Gotham City. After the death of Bruce’s parents, he goes into hiding for many years of his life to discover himself and decide on how to handle the crime of Gotham and the criminals responsible for such crimes; like the one which left Bruce’s parents for dead. He turned to Ra’s Al-Ghul, an honorable, yet dangerous ninja leader for a cult group, who taught him all the secrets of a ninja. After realizing that Ra’s Al-Ghul planned to destroy Gotham, he quickly runs to Gotham, where he decides to overcome his fear of bats (from his childhood) and, in fact, become Batman.

Batman Begins was nothing without its cast, so let’s begin with that. Christian Bale joins the line of actors who have played Batman, and honestly, he was one of the best, if not the best. There was no doubt in my mind that he would be better than his predecessor, George Clooney. Clooney disgraced the batsuit, but thankfully, Bale took over it and shined. Val Kilmer was always my favorite, and to this day, he remains, but Bale isn’t too far behind. Bale worked well with this movie because for half of the film, the character of Bruce Wayne was very revengeful and filled with hatred about his life. Bale played the role very well. His performance was worth the ticket price. Katie Holmes played Rachel Dawes, a young, beautiful district attorney of Gotham who fought crime through the legal system. She also played the love interest of Bale. While she didn’t show up in the film as much as I would have expected (or hoped for), she did well in the parts she appeared in.

Michael Cane took over the role Alfred Pennyworth, the butler and loyal friend to the Wayne family. In all four Batman films before this one, the role was always played by Michael Gough. Cane was better, though. He added a lot of big laughs to the movie, which Gough simply could not do. Morgan Freeman also stars in Batman Begins as Lucius Fox, an old, smart inventor who works for Wayne Enterprise. With all his technology, he helps Bruce get off his feet and into the suit. He also added some nice moments in the film.

As for villains, we have a couple. The first one being Scarecrow, played by Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later). Scarecrow, or Dr. Crane, runs the mental asylum in Gotham, where he brings people and MAKES them mentally ill through his so-called “medicine”. He puts on his mask (which looks like a potato sack) and becomes Scarecrow. He makes the recipient of the medicine to imagine their worst fear and go insane. While Murphy did a great job of playing Scarecrow, Scarecrow wasn’t really the greatest of villains. Still, he wasn’t the main villain, since he worked for Ra’s Al-Ghul. The only thing Ra’s Al-Ghul really had was his technique in the fine arts, but he did have the twisted plan to make everyone in Gotham go crazy with Crane’s medicine, so…yeah, he was a pretty bad guy. They both did a good job. Crane’s character actually made the movie seem horrific with some of his scenes. It worked very well.

What worked extremely well about Batman Begins, which the others didn’t seem to have, was the new, dark feel to the movie. Don’t get me wrong; the other Batman movies were also dark films. Nolan’s work, with the help of the perfect cast, pushed the film to new heights. The dark feel to Begins wasn’t like the others. This film required a darker tone due to the in-depth look at Wayne’s revengeful past and his turn to Batman. I also liked how the film did just about everything perfect to show that this was truly the beginning of the series. It shows how the cave was discovered and built, how his suit started out as, and how he didn’t just magically appear with a batmobile, but more of an assault vehicle (which, by the way, was awesome). All loose ends were tied up. Among other things, Nolan was still able to throw a nice twist into the mix for another secret villain. Kudos to that, Nolan. Kudos.

It’s going to be hard for the next Batman (which is hinted brilliantly at the end of the film) to top this one, but I have regained faith in the Batman series. It’s almost like now I can just imagine that Batman and Robin never happened. But, jokes and bad films aside, Batman Begins was a gem in the long list of comic book adaptations. Nolan has a promising career ahead of him after this, and it’d be great if he were to take over again for the next film. In all honesty, I didn’t expect that much from Begins except a good time and a way to spend two and a half hours. What I received was not only a great time, but a brilliant beginning to the best fictional superhero of all time.

A+

Last edited by zingy on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:37 am
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
For anyone who wants to talk about the cast.

Christian Bale .... Bruce Wayne/Batman
Michael Caine .... Alfred Pennyworth
Liam Neeson .... Henri Ducard
Morgan Freeman .... Lucius Fox
Gary Oldman .... Lt. James Gordon
Ken Watanabe .... Ra's Al Ghul
Katie Holmes .... Rachel Dawes
Cillian Murphy .... Dr. Jonathan Crane/The Scarecrow
Tom Wilkinson .... Carmine Falcone
Rutger Hauer .... Richard Earle
Sara Stewart .... Martha Wayne
Richard Brake .... Joe Chill
Gus Lewis .... Young Bruce Wayne
Emma Lockhart .... Young Rachel Dawes
Linus Roache .... Dr. Thomas Wayne

Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

After giving some serious consideration, I have concluded that Batman Begins finishes a distant second compared to Tim Burton’s 1989 vision of Batman. On the positive side, it is certainly better than Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

The movie boasts of several good actors in supporting roles. Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Christian Bale have performed superbly. Rutger Hauer is wasted in his role and so is Katie Holmes. Liam Neeson’s performance is irritating at best. The movie is at its best with its storytelling aspects and at its very worst during the action scenes. Christopher Nolan might be a good director. In this movie he has failed miserably with the staging of action scenes and has managed to conceive the worst action scenes in a big movie in a very long time. While this movie succeeds as a regular movie it is very mediocre as a superhero movie.

This is not a movie that will entice repeat viewings with the exception of some hardcore fans. Casual moviegoers will find the movie too long. The lack of a good villain and horrendous action sequences will hurt its box office potential in the long run.

B+

Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

I could not be more supprised ... I wasn't expecting all that much. My theater clapped breifly at the end, I see a mega hit in store with great WOM and fantastic legs.

Then again, right now I am on minimal sleep, delusional, and feel like I have just been sprayed by the scarecrow. I have work in 6 hours, and haven't slept in 32!

Time for bed.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

yup .. the entire opinion on its action will remain divided ... from a box office point of view ... very few will appreciate the way the action sequences for this movie are shot .... because the fact that only a few will understand why they're shot that way and hence, derive pleasure from them. Any other movie and even I would have had trouble with the action ...

Before walking in, this was my biggest worry .. after reading all the reviews for it stating this was amatuerish action .. i was scared .. i'm glad for myself it worked out fine for me ... can't say the same for everyone else though.

How come, bABA?

From a movie making point of view ... i simply hate close up, quick edit fights.

From the perspective of this movie, i fell in love with it.

You saw the movie and didn't like the action .. now look at it how i did.

Batman's entire strategy of beating people is by enducing fear, hiding in shadows, striking and disappearing. All that is well and good .. you can still show a complete flow so why the quick edits and flashes??

Almost all the action scenes in this movie were shown from the point of view of the villains .. else we would have never understood the phsychological war fare the bat uses on his victims ... hence the quick edits ... the villain walks about .. hes freaked .. or his gang mate is and from their perspective, something shoots out, grabs or punches .. and leaves .. end of perspective for that one villain ...

you got 6 villains in one scene .. batman is in the middle of them yet we see constant cuts because even in that circle, each action sequence is shown from the perspective of the guy getting beaten up ... if the bat took 10 seconds to dispose of all of them ... the movie essentially gives the feeling that it followed 6 individual villains around instead of the bat ...

till the very end .. we never really saw how the bat himself operated (cept when he drove the car) but more so how other people saw him as ... thats why i thought that the action scenes rocked in this one .. they portrayed exactly what they were meant to .. it wasn't just some amatuer videotaping ..

then again, if someone does not pick up on this, it looks repititive .. if someone doesn't even pick up on the fact that the bat hides in shadows, attacks and disappears .. well .. it gets even worse then : )

hope that helps.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

bABA, When Falcone gets out of the car, batman is fighting the henchmen and you don't even see Batman. He is Batman not Invisible Man. The fight on the train is jerky like all others. The chase scenes with the Batmobile are very substandard for a big budget movie. This Nolan dude just does not know how to make an impression. The scene from 1989 Batman, where he comes down on the bad guys with the wings spread was terrific. The action scenes are jerky and have zero cool factor.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

thats not the impression i got at all jb.

the first scene with falcone was prolly my favorite in the entire movie as far as the action went .. that is exactly how i had pictured it .. thats exactly what i got ...each attack was shown from the villain's eyes ... not the bat .. thats why we barely even saw the bat ..

same with me for the train scene ... not as good as the first fight scene but meh .. i was happy with it too .. like i said ... it doesn't make for the best sequences so you're completely judtified in feeling the way you do : )

Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

I am stunned. I wasn't anticipating this that much. I mean, I knew I wanted to see it after the good reviews came out, and I was debating whether I had the energy to see it last night at midnight, but my friend said it'd be a lot easier if we just saw the noon showing today, which we did. I knew that if I didn't see it today, I'd have to wait until two weeks from now due to schedule conflicts, and I didn't want to wait that long.

I was floored. I completely agree with baBA's analysis of the action. The quick flashes represent what Batman did in combat: quick fighting. Guerilla tactics. The acting was great from everyone, and Katie Holmes wasn't per se, her character was just completely under-developed and ultimately wasted.

A+, one of the best movies in years.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:58 pm
I repeat, the gauntlet has been thrown down.

DC is challenging Marvel's stronghold on comic book films, publicly and in mad fashion.

Flawless film.

A+

(proper review in time)

Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:06 pm
I'm Batman

PERFECTION!! Better than Star Wars. Better than any Batman movie. Better than any Comic book movie. One of the greatest of all-time. Here's to Mark Hamill being the Joker in the second.

A+

Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:15 pm
laneyboy

So good I think I was having an orgasm right there in the theater! 8-[ Everything was perfect, action, acting, story, dialogue, just perfect. (would have liked to see more Ken Watanabe though)
A+

Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

I don't even think Spider-man 2 (what you all claimed was the best superhero movie ever once it came out) can compare. Summer's a good time for wild action, but when you can combine that with compelling drama, you've made a masterpiece (and disproved that oh-so-stupid stereotype that an action movie can't be "intelligent").

A+

Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:34 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I'm no comic expert, so exactly how well they got Batman down in this movie is not for me to say, but I can say that is was a damn fine character study and exploration of the themes of justice and vengeance. For me, Batman Begins is at its greatest in the first half when we are shown Bruce's training and, via flashbacks, his heartbreaking loss and the deep emotional scars that resulted. Bale is fantastic during these scenes, especially when Nolan focuses on him in the courtroom and we can sense the immense anger and hatred building in Bruce at the sight of his parents murderer. I was also quite dazzled by the production design, as Wayne manor, the bat cave and Gotham itself looked fabulous. I was totally digging the movie.

The second half of the film sees Bruce return to Gotham to begin his campaign and while not quite living up to the emotional punch the opening of the movie had, it still manages to thrill and excite. I really loved how Alfred and Bruce collaborate and basically start from scratch on the bat-cave. Scenes like that really help the audience in seeing that things don't come easy for Bruce in his quest and there is no aura of invincibility. Morgan Freeman's character also plays a central role in helping Bruce become Batman, by providing him with the equipment from the Wayne Enterprises technical branch. Morgan is great as always here and I liked that Lucious was let in on the truth pretty early on.

So Bruce begins his foray into the night and enlists the help of one of the only uncorrupted cops in the city, Jim Gordon, played wonderfully in an 'everyman' performance by Gary Oldman. The relationship that forms between these two is one of the best parts of Begins and provides a nice foundation for further films in the series (and there will be more baby). It was so easy to like Gordon and I especially loved how we get to see where he lives, just taking out the trash like your average Joe.

We are introduced to Falcone (nice turn by Tom Wilkinson) and Jonathon Crane, aka the Scarecrow (a creepy Cilian Murphy) as a plot to spread the fear toxin is hatched, with the backing of a mysterious figure. The Scarecrow is handled well and the sequences of hallucinations (especially that awesome shot of Batman flying overhead with glowing red eyes, and of course the fire-breathing horse) were a sight to behold. Just bare in mind that he is no more than a glorified henchman in the movie and things should sit well with you. The action comes to a head with a well-executed elevated train sequence that finishes things off with a bang.

I will admit that the close-ups used for the fight scenes were slightly jarring and confusing, but it didn't bother me as much as in say....The Bourne Supremacy. One-on-one fights just didn't matter in this movie as much as a movie like "Unleashed" so I quickly accepted that in-your-face brutality was going to be the way Nolan shot them. I also agree that this style works well with Batman and that sequence at the docks is proof positive. I could really sense the fear those goons must have been feeling. The Tumbler seqeunce was not as elaborate as I might have wanted, but it was a well shot chase and just the sound of that beast was enough to give you goosebumps. I must say I have a particular fondness for that escape from Arkham, where the bats are called upon to provide a smoke-screen of sorts. Very well executed.

Which brings me to that note-perfect ending. We get a nice resolution of the Bruce/Rachel relationship that manages not to be cliched and a moment at the very end that will have you counting the days until the next installment hits theatres.

A quick mention needs to be made about the score. It's fucking great. I don't know exactly how things worked, whether they each scored certain sections of the movie or if they actually sat and collaborated together, but the results are magnificent. If the process resembled the former, I would wager that the main theme was composed by Zimmer and the softer piano material was Newton-Howard, as it really had a Sixth Sense sort of vibe to it. Sure, there is no main theme as memorable as the Elfman one in Batman Begins (even though I was humming it when I got out of the theatre), but I would say that this movie's tone demands music that is less bombastic and more grounded and that's what Zimmer and Newton-Howard have provided.

I'd give Batman Begins a solid A.

BTW, my favourite single shot in the whole film is that pan across the skyline as we see Batman standing like a gargoyle on top of the Wayne building. Absolutely stunning.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I can't believe I still have no desire to see this. How odd. Especially given the fact that this is supposed to be great. :-k :???:

Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Well, considering that 14 out of 15 members gave it an A- or higher...

KILL JB007.

:mad:

Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:29 pm
Veteran

KILL JB007.

:razz:

I'm being generous with a B+, since it is better than the crappy Spiderman movies. What seperates this from the 1989 Batman is that movie was a lot of fun to watch, whereas this movie is too serious for its own good.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Zingaling wrote:

KILL JB007.

:razz:

I'm being generous with a B+, since it is better than the crappy Spiderman movies. What seperates this from the 1989 Batman is that movie was a lot of fun to watch, whereas this movie is too serious for its own good.

haha

B+ is good jb .. don't let everyone get to you ... i'm glad that at the end of the day, you enjoyed : )

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

bABA, There is no doubt it is a good movie and I enjoyed it.

In some ways I look at it as an opportunity lost. Fantastic plot with good performances coupled with smooth flowing and innovative action (which is lacking) would have made it an instant classic and a great crowd pleaser

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Man, you know a movie is a crowd-favorite when the lowest grade is a B+ and the grader is the only reviewer discussed in the entire thread. If this holds up over the next month this could become the next Fellowship of the Ring, about which nothing bad can ever be said for fear of fanboys beating your ass.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:30 pm
Commander and Chef

Man, you know a movie is a crowd-favorite when the lowest grade is a B+ and the grader is the only reviewer discussed in the entire thread. If this holds up over the next month this could become the next Fellowship of the Ring, about which nothing bad can ever be said for fear of fanboys beating your ass.

haha .. atleast on this site ...

but oh well ... i give it till this weekend for the negative responses to show up.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

insomniacdude wrote:

haha .. atleast on this site ...

but oh well ... i give it till this weekend for the negative responses to show up.

Don't count on it.

*taps Baseball bat in hand*

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:33 pm
College Boy Z

Batman loonies are getting to be worse than High Tension loonies. :roll:

*pulls out table saw*

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next