Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Monkey Man 

Grade:
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Monkey Man 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Monkey Man
Quote:
Monkey Man is a 2024 action thriller film directed and co-produced by Dev Patel in his directorial debut, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Paul Angunawela and John Collee. The film stars Patel, Sharlto Copley, Pitobash Tripathy, Vipin Sharma, Sikandar Kher, Adithi Kalkunte, Sobhita Dhulipala, Ashwini Kalsekar, Makarand Deshpande, Jatin Malik and Zakir Hussain.

Monkey Man premiered at South by Southwest on March 11, 2024, and was released theatrically in the United States and Canada by Universal Pictures on April 5, 2024. The film received generally positive reviews from critics.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Monkey Man
Excellent actioner right here. Fight scenes are all so well done with its frantic camera and often brilliant choice of song (lots of Best Needle Drops candidates in this movie!) and the main ones go on for quite a long time. Dev isn't taking people out with one punch, every conflict is a huge struggle for him even when he powers up at the end. His resiliency and durability, physically and emotionally, are what make him the Monkey Man.

There's some political commentary here with an Indonesian-Trump figure and a temple of transgender ninjas that I didn't really get or feel was needed. But I guess Dev wanted this to be an elevated action film and considering how well he does with every other aspect, it is forgiveable that the movie occasionally makes one say "ok, lets get back to the fighting." And at least the surface level political commentary wasn't part of the marketing like say another big action movie that came out this month.

I'll give Monkey Man a solid 8.8.

Also (not really a spoiler but its the best part so I'll save it for you)

Spoiler: show
The part where he's trying to stab the dude in the neck, but the dude is too strong and captures his hands only for Dev to grab the knife with his teeth and finish the job was gnarly.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]