Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 

Rate this film:
A 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 
Keeping it Light

Post Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Quote:
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is a 2022 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Doctor Strange. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is the sequel to Doctor Strange (2016) and the 28th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film is directed by Sam Raimi, written by Michael Waldron, and stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange, alongside Elizabeth Olsen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Benedict Wong, Xochitl Gomez, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Rachel McAdams. In the film, Strange and his allies travel into the multiverse to face a mysterious new adversary.

Wed May 04, 2022 1:01 pm
100% That Bitch

Post Re: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
I.... i.... am speechless... the motherfuckers did it. FUCKING SPOILERS FOLLOW DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE SPOILED.

Should have been called The Scarlet Witch in The Multiverse of Madness because Elizabeth Olsen fucking MURDERED IT.

MY GAWD.

Wanda going apeshit on the Illuminati is probably my favorite moment of MCU ever. She took on the most powerful heroes all at once and she didnt even break a sweat.

Gave us probably the most iconic deaths (they're the most goreish deaths the MCU will ever get) and a fucking legend of a villain.

Oh.... Dr Strange was there too. He was such a non factor on his own movie. Zwackerm will hate it and i know he will find some excuse to rate it D- because Wanda is indeed the most powerful MCU hero we've ever gotten. Not even Thor can stand in her way

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed May 04, 2022 10:04 pm
100% That Bitch

Wanda Maximoff, best MCU villain by a fucking mile. She single handedly destroywd the illuminati, most of the sorcerers and kinda kicked Dr. STRANGE's ass for the whole movie. Wanda defeating Wanda with realness might be a bit of a reach but damn Strange was smart af there.

Ppl will be so divided by this i cant wait for yall to watch it

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu May 05, 2022 1:41 am
100% That Bitch

Noticed i didn't give a score so yeah
A+ 10/10
Wanda becoming a Jason/Freddie/Myers character and all of the horror shit that went down. This can easily go down as a horror film and no one will give a shit.

Thank You Sami amd Elizabeth for creating such a masterpiece

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu May 05, 2022 11:42 am
Extraordinary

... wasn't crazy about it tbh. Still processing it but the narrative of this feels off, which makes me think of how this was supposedly severely reshot.

Fri May 06, 2022 7:17 am
Romosexual!

A+++ just for Wanda vs The Illuminati
:shock: :shock: :shock: HOLY FUCK!

rest of the movie was great as well but nothing topped that moment.

Fri May 06, 2022 7:35 am
100% That Bitch

Rev wrote:

YES! The fact that they had already set Wanda up as the kost powerful MCU being helps a lot. Ppl are forgetting she could have offed thanos on her own if she wasn't killing him slowly lulz. Her heel turn 15 mins into the movie kinda slays too. They went full on Heel Wanda

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri May 06, 2022 12:57 pm
Romosexual!

Mau wrote:
Rev wrote:

YES! The fact that they had already set Wanda up as the kost powerful MCU being helps a lot. Ppl are forgetting she could have offed thanos on her own if she wasn't killing him slowly lulz. Her heel turn 15 mins into the movie kinda slays too. They went full on Heel Wanda

That heel turn :D :D :D was perfect!

I hope for the rumored The Scarlet Witch movie :D Sam Raimi comes back and directs it as well.

Fri May 06, 2022 1:14 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I liked it a lot. The horror sequences were great and I was glad to see Rachel McAdams was given more to do than I was expecting given the advertising. Elizabeth Olsen was excellent. B+

Fri May 06, 2022 9:42 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran

My mouth was agape at how bad it was.
America Chavez was atrocious, I felt that while we have become condition to the cosmic-y side of the MCU since GOTG/DS, this film took it too far (it was just too out there. I blame Raimi), the film was also too woke for my taste, plot holes and tropes were everywhere, writing and directing was meh. Positives - the Reed Richards and X-Men entrances. Pleasant surprise. Elizabeth and Benedict were great.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri May 06, 2022 9:55 pm
Extraordinary

What was "woke" about this?

Sat May 07, 2022 1:55 am
The Kramer

publicenemy#1 wrote:
What was "woke" about this?
Lesbians. ✂️✂️✂️

Krazinski got the biggest cheer. Great choice and hopefully they follow up with Blunt as Sue.

Sat May 07, 2022 3:33 am
Hold the door!

The script is a mess and I can't imagine anyone not extremely up to date with all the other marvel stuff being able to decipher this film. Gorgeous visually and some very nice sequences, but the multiverse elements make the stakes unclear and nothing is explained well in a way that makes it easy to disengage from what's going on.

Olsen was good, the rest of the cast didn't have much to do from an acting perspective. Even Cumberbatch felt like he was kind of just there. The America Chavez character needed more development

Sat May 07, 2022 9:50 am
The Kramer

Yeah the story is definitely messy. It needed another 20 minutes or so to let scenes breathe instead of just jumping from one thing to the next. Especially in the primary universe to start the film. Would have especially liked to get an additional scene from Wanda, to help explain why she went from "I shouldn't hurt others to deal with my own pain" at the end of Wandavision to right back to "Nah I'm gonna hurt whoever I have to." at the start of Multiverse of Madness. All the scenes with her kids are way too cheesy to have any impact. There's also way too many MacGuffins, some of which end up amounting to nothing. America Chavez might as well have been another book.

But gosh, once Wanda stops being "reasonable" the set pieces are just spectacular. The brainbusting of the Illuminati is rightfully getting the majority of the praise. I was into all the horror elements though. There's just as much Army of Darkness as Spider-Man 3, and while the director shifting always leads to an uneven movie, the scenes where Raimi is allowed to go full Raimi are worth putting up with all the rest. Wanda is legitimately terrifying in the second half of this film. Not just because of her power, but her relentless pursuit. The musical note fight is also extremely creative and way cooler than the usual Inception-bending combat and/or shooting beams of light that we've mostly seen from the wizards of the MCU.

I'm gonna have to see it again before grading and ranking. Will probably wind up in the mid-tier. Maybe not as big as we were expecting (where Deadpool and Wolverine at?), I just love how it feels unique even with all its issues.

Also, this is what Moon Knight should have been.

Sat May 07, 2022 2:29 pm
Extraordinary

I think the stretch of the movie from the Illuminati to Wanda chasing Strange and co was very good. There's some very strong scenes in this but what holds it back is the narrative.

Sat May 07, 2022 5:58 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

zwackerm wrote:
The script is a mess and I can't imagine anyone not extremely up to date with all the other marvel stuff being able to decipher this film. Gorgeous visually and some very nice sequences, but the multiverse elements make the stakes unclear and nothing is explained well in a way that makes it easy to disengage from what's going on.

Olsen was good, the rest of the cast didn't have much to do from an acting perspective. Even Cumberbatch felt like he was kind of just there. The America Chavez character needed more development

Yep - while I liked it overall it is a Wanda movie. Narrative is a mess.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 pm
Hold the door!

The lesbian mom reference was just enough to piss off conservatives but the LGBT activists aren't gonna be happy since it was so brief. Disney keeping up its streak of LGBT "representation" lol

Sun May 08, 2022 2:09 pm
The Kramer

Add a gay scene for the Americans that can be cut for the Chinese has been their strategy for a few years now, but since Disney movies don't open in China anyways, and since conservatives are calling Disney groomers anyways, I think we will get the first gay mainline superhero pretty soon. Probably Captain Marvel. Though its not like these movies ever have sex scenes anyways. Eternals was an outlier in a lot of ways.

Unrelated, but at work yesterday when I mentioned it to somebody, they were like "well I heard you have to watch Wandavision first and I don't really feel like it." I told them that there's a line or two that explains it, but they're absolutely right. Anybody who just watches the movies will be supremely confused at Wanda's drastic turn from the last time we saw her fighting alongside the good guys. I can see that being a turn off for many. Then again .. why the hell aren't people watching Wandavision??

Sun May 08, 2022 4:35 pm

First half is too busy and fast paced, and kind of weird in an awkward way to really care.

Starts to pick-up some when Raimi lets his roots loose. Zombie Strange is one of the coolest sequences in the MCU.

Overall impression is that it's good for how unique it is, while not being that good of a movie.

The Avatar 2 trailer beforehand was better.

Sun May 08, 2022 7:59 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Really enjoyed it. Scarlet Witch's pursuit scene was one of the best scenes throughout the entire MCU. Oh, and the Strange vs Strange musical note battle was very creative and awesome.

Appreciated how the film also pushed the boundaries of can / can't in the MCU and may allow future films to do a bit more as a result. There were also many striking visual scenes and shots here. The shot of Strange walking up the staircase over the shore was beautiful. B+

And making a film where everything is possible sort of cancels out any plot holes, I feel. They're everything and not at the same time. Reminds me of a quote from Lewis Carrol: “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon May 09, 2022 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This is much better on a second viewing. The script is still messy and rushed but intelligible if you have a bare sense of the plot going in.

Has to be the most visually creative and stunning MCU film to date, topping GOTG Vol 2 in my book.

Tue May 17, 2022 11:13 pm
Keeping it Light

Underwhelming is how I mostly feel about it. On the one hand Cumberbatch and Olson are pretty good in their roles, but on the other hand the films feels very insignificant and while the multiverse could probably have led to several interesting takes on Marvel stories, the ones they choose to tell feel mostly dull. The film comes to live when we're introduced to alternate actors and versions of Marvel characters as the Illuminati, but its quite short-lived and I did not end up being excited about essentially the cameos in this. The Wandavision storyline just ends up not translating that well to the big screen I feel. The special effects are pretty good and the film feels capable, but also just like a side movie that does not really capture the imagination as much as others in the MCU.

B-

Sun May 29, 2022 5:37 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

stuffp wrote:
Underwhelming is how I mostly feel about it. On the one hand Cumberbatch and Olson are pretty good in their roles, but on the other hand the films feels very insignificant and while the multiverse could probably have led to several interesting takes on Marvel stories, the ones they choose to tell feel mostly dull. The film comes to live when we're introduced to alternate actors and versions of Marvel characters as the Illuminati, but its quite short-lived and I did not end up being excited about essentially the cameos in this. The Wandavision storyline just ends up not translating that well to the big screen I feel. The special effects are pretty good and the film feels capable, but also just like a side movie that does not really capture the imagination as much as others in the MCU.

B-

Agreed.

I recall the film being hyped by some (maybe the actors?) that it will be bigger in scope than Spiderman NWH and while it kind of is in some respects - it is misleading. Feels like the more cosmic they go - the more humanity they lose and the less valuable the stakes feel.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue May 31, 2022 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]