Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Breaking Fast 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Breaking Fast 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Breaking Fast
Quote:
Breaking Fast is a 2020 American romantic comedy film, directed by Mike Mosallam and released in 2020. An expansion of Mosallam's 2015 short film of the same title, the film stars Haaz Sleiman as Mo, a gay Muslim doctor in Los Angeles who is emotionally closed off following a painful breakup with his former partner Hassan (Patrick Sabongui); on the first day of Ramadan he meets Kal (Michael Cassidy), getting to know him over nightly iftars.

The film premiered on March 7, 2020 at the Cinequest Film & Creativity Festival; due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was screened digitally by several LGBT film festivals through the next several months. It was picked up for commercial distribution by Vertical Entertainment in August 2020.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Breaking Fast
This was WONDERFUL love story that transcends beyond just another gay love story and something that can be enjoyed by any movie lovers or romance seekers. Haaz Sleiman is brilliant in here and carries the movie very well as a American Muslim observing Ramadan. Michael Cassidy is equally wonderful here as the love interest who helps him "break the fast" during the festival period.

The love story is biggest sell here specially because of the chemistry the two actors share and how organically the story evolves between the two even if the central conflict towards the end is not big and resolves too soon its still great. The best friend arc is weaker but its required for the confrontation and the idea that religion should be respected but its also good to watch the world with other views.

If you prefer Love, Simon this is the better indie version of it.

A

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:38 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: Breaking Fast
I didn't love it as much as you but I still really liked it. When it focuses on the two leads it's really good. They have very nice chemistry. Loved them just walking around talking on the night they met. This could have been full-on Before Sunrise with them just walking around and having conversations and I would have been really into it. I really liked their performances. I've been a fan of Michael Cassidy since he did the gay short film Dare many years ago and he's really charming here. Unfortunately the actor playing Mo's best friend is awful and he annoyed me a lot. We have to spend way too much time with him.

It's a cute movie and I'm glad it exists. It has many in the Muslim community enraged and wanting it banned because it's a gay movie mixed with a religious holiday. Sadly the people who need this message most won't likely be seeing it.

B

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]