Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 News of the World 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

News of the World 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post News of the World
Quote:
News of the World is a 2020 American Western drama film co-written and directed by Paul Greengrass, based on the 2016 novel of the same name by Paulette Jiles, and starring Tom Hanks and introducing Helena Zengel. The film follows a Civil War veteran who must return a young girl who was stolen by Native Americans as an infant to her last remaining family.

News of the World was released theatrically by Universal Pictures in the United States on December 25, 2020, and by Netflix in other international territories. It received positive reviews from critics who praised Hanks' and Zengel's performances, Greengrass’ direction, cinematography and score.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:14 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: News of the World
This was a wonderful, heartfelt road trip movie that benefits from the central performance of Hanks and AMAZING cinematography, production designs and endearing direction from Greengrass. Hanks is brilliant in here and while Helena Zengel was great she didn't have much to do here. There is a classic western shootout in the middle of the movie which was brilliant, Greengrass stages it well keeping the tension throughout. The whole News of the World reading isn't explored enough but overall it serves the movie well.

B+

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:38 pm
Forum General

Man I hope Greengrass and Hanks have more movie collabs in the future, because this and Captain Phillips are easily my favorites. I thought this was pretty great overall, especially in terms of cinematography, direction and production design and Hanks was the perfect choice to lead this, because he adds so much likability and humanity to the character.

His chemistry with the young girl is just fantastic and this is definitely the kind of epic scope, big budget Western that would have been great to see on the bigscreen.

B+

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:42 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was fantastic and heartfelt. Tom Hanks was really incredible here and the movie was surprisingly riveting. This would have probably been a 100+ Million grosser in normal times because it's very crowd-pleasing. A-

Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:45 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Yeah this was a quality picture and a perfect role for Hanks. I wish there was less baity stuff and one more big action scene, but the ending still worked for me.

B+

Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:04 pm
Wallflower

Saw it at the theater on Sunday. I thought it was mostly uninteresting. I'm not surprised I didn't connect with it as these types of movies are hit and miss with me. The story just wasn't that compelling and didn't build to anything special. There was one exciting action scene that got my attention. So that's something I guess. :P

C

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]