Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Pieces of a Woman 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Pieces of a Woman 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Pieces of a Woman
Quote:
Pieces of a Woman is a 2020 drama film directed by Kornél Mundruczó, from a screenplay by Kata Wéber. It stars Vanessa Kirby, Shia LaBeouf, Molly Parker, Sarah Snook, Iliza Shlesinger, Benny Safdie, Jimmie Fails and Ellen Burstyn. Martin Scorsese serves as an executive producer. The film is directly related to Mundruczó and Wéber's 2018 stageplay of the same name, performed by the artistic ensemble of TR Warszawa.

The film had its world premiere on September 4, 2020 at the 77th Venice International Film Festival, where Kirby won the Volpi Cup for Best Actress. It was released in select theaters on December 30, 2020, before beginning to digitally stream on Netflix on January 7, 2021. The film received generally positive reviews, with praise for the performances of Kirby, LaBeouf and Burstyn.

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:30 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Pieces of a Woman
I liked it but did not LOVE this. The first half is WAY too strong to follow-up for the movie and it drowns under the weight of its own lofty expectations. The actors carry this movie specially Kirby is GREAT in this. LaBeouf is equally great but he is non-existent in the final act (I am guessing he got busy with his other projects or something?). Ellen Burstyn does well in the monologue that she gets but I didn't find her specially captivating here because most of her scenes are with Kirby who just runs away with this.

I never got a sense of loss from these characters in the middle half which is why the final act does not work. The one thing that really works is how this destroys the family even though a lot of it feels like script manipulation the two actors carry this well.

B-

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:36 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The first half hour is the centerpiece and is very impressive across the board. After that, the story doesn't really go anywhere and the metaphors are really on the nose to the point that it becomes laughable (the last shot of the bridge actually made me chuckle). That being said, Vanessa Kirby is insanely great here. It's one of the year's best and most nuanced performances. B

Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:05 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

The first half of this movie was pretty great, especially the first 30 minutes, but yeah it doesn't really go anywhere after that or live up to what came before which was dissapointing, but this is still a pretty solid flick with a great performances from Vanessa Kirby and Shia LaBeouf even though I didn't like how he just dissapeard towards the end. Ellen Burstyn's monologue was really good too, but emotionally it didn't do much for me either.

B-

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]