Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Birds of Prey 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Birds of Prey 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Birds of Prey

Quote:
Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), or simply Birds of Prey, is a 2020 American superhero film based on the DC Comics team Birds of Prey. It is the eighth film in the DC Extended Universe, and a follow-up to Suicide Squad (2016). It was directed by Cathy Yan and written by Christina Hodson, and stars Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Rosie Perez, Chris Messina, Ella Jay Basco, Ali Wong, and Ewan McGregor. The film follows Harley Quinn as she joins forces with Black Canary, Helena Bertinelli, and Renee Montoya to save Cassandra Cain from Gotham City crime lord Black Mask.

Robbie, who also serves as producer, pitched the idea for Birds of Prey to Warner Bros. in 2015. The film was announced in May 2016, with Hodson being hired to write the script that November, while Yan signed on to direct in April 2018. The majority of the cast and crew were confirmed by December 2018. Principal photography lasted from January to April 2019 in Downtown Los Angeles, parts of the Arts District, Los Angeles, and soundstages at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, California. Additional filming took place in September 2019.

Birds of Prey is the first DCEU film and the second DC Films production to be rated R by the Motion Picture Association of America. The film had its world premiere in Mexico City on January 25, 2020, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States in IMAX, Dolby Cinema and 4DX on February 7, 2020. The film received praise from critics for its visual style, humor, and the performances of Robbie and McGregor.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:42 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Birds of Prey (Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Qu
The action scenes were for the most part dope. All the scenes in the police raid were very well done.

I think they should've just called this Harley Quinn tbh. This is a Harley film through and through. And on that note, Robbie nails the role here. She's so much better here than in Suicide Squad. A much more confident performance that echoes the animated series version.

Jurnee and Mary Elizabeth were both very good. Hope the movie does well so we can get more of them.

Ewan was good but tbh he wasn't in the movie that much to say he was one of the best DC film villains like some people are saying.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:17 am
Romosexual!

A

Great action and comedy. Felt like DC's version of Deadpool and I love it for that.
Harley, Black Canary, Huntress and Black Mask were the best part of the movie.

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:10 am
Forum General

I had a great time with this movie even though it definitely has problems with character development probably being the most notable at least for some of the characters. The best things about this movie were easily Margot Robbie's performance and the action sequences. The movie also looks great visually with some really dope shots mostly during the big, action set pieces. I really liked the portrayal of Black Canary in this and MEW is a certified badass, but man did she need more screen time. I also enjoyed the over the top campiness with Ewan McGregor's and Chris Messina's performances, but even they needed a bit more fleshing out IMO. The only characters I wasn't big on were the kid and Rosie Perez who felt kind of pointless to me.

B

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:09 pm
The Kramer

Eh, the movie is both too much and not enough at the same time. The comic booky fantabulousness of it all is kinda cute but wears out quick. And whenever a character needs motivation to do something they drop in a surface-level "this is a man's world" type of thematic context. Because of that I had a difficult time connecting with any character except for Harley, who in her own words is a terrible person who isn't even trying to be better.

The amusement park fight is fun though. The raid on the police station would have been had it not been so easy. Is this England? Why does nobody have guns? Except for when everyone does have guns when it is convenient. Technology works the same way. For the most of the move it may have well been set in the 80s, but then everybody has a cell phone when they need to show that there's a bounty of the head of the kid. Inconsistency is a good trait for Harley the character to have but maybe not so much for an entire movie.

Despite my complaints, the movie is alright. It breezes by at about an hour and 45 minutes, never once even thinking of overstaying it's welcome. I just think it could have been better with maybe one more draft of the script.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:54 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

It was badass.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:17 pm
Extraordinary

I'm surprised since Burger King is advertising the film they don't have an accompanying egg sandwich sold rn.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:17 am
On autopilot for the summer

I don’t think they’d want to be associated with the trashiest worst sandwich as depicted in the film

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:41 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

It was bad, ass.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:16 am
Devil's Advocate

I thought it was pretty bad. The first half is a mess between the wannabe Tarantino multiple timelines, too many characters, etc. When the Birds of Prey get together it improves a little mainly because the action scenes are the best part of this movie, and Huntress was my favorite. But it feels like a cheap rough cut compared to other superhero movies. Harley is mostly brainless, so her opponents have to be dragged down to her level to beat by someone who can't really think about anything other than what's right in front of her. Whatever you say about Marvel following a blueprint to make all their films so polished if formulaic, this is the downside of going the other way.

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:09 am
Wallflower

It's pretty messy for a while but still entertaining enough. I would have given it a B- but the finale was a lot of fun and bumped it up. Once the movie stops with the flashbacks it improved. Robbie is very good as expected. Really wish we could have gotten a sequel.

7/10 ( B )

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:26 pm

Yeah it’s like they got a fresh out of film school kid to take a decently structured film and just edited the shit out of it with nonsensical narration. Completely unnecessary and the flow is bad for the first half.

Completely misuses the r rating, and almost no sex appeal. Ewan is the highlight here. Robbie is fine, but Harley isn’t an interesting lead character ( at least not in this film) The other three birds were far more interesting but their team up was incredibly forced and their Shawarma tip off ending felt more like the ending of Pineapple Express. I think I prefer SS to this (that was solid if unspectacular until the patented DC added on 4th act CGI overblown forced climax

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:44 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

So you think this is edited to shit... but SS is fine?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:47 pm

At no point in my post did I say that so no. But yes, SS editing is no where near this disjointed.

Also this film desperately needed Joker, even if it was Leto’s. It’s like making Rise of Skywalker the way it was and Fisher hadn’t died.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:49 pm
Extraordinary

Er... Suicide Squad's editing is way worse. Like waaaaay way worse.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:29 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

There is no question SS is pretty much bad in comparison to this but I am guessing Thegun's noted a lot of bad editing in BoP. I guess its on your experience and/or remembrance.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:36 am
Star Trek XI

Um Suicide Squad’s editing is fine haters can suck it

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:00 pm
The Kramer

Squad’s editing is a huge mess when they are introducing everyone. In the second half it gets better though, mostly because they realize nobody cares about any of the characters besides Harley and Deadshot.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:04 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

As the final film of DCEU binge I was glad the direction where DC is headed is getting better, but its still stuck in an awkward situation because directors do not have scripts that can switch between serious and comedy and the problems of dark settings for finale and most action still persists. Overall this was more enjoyable from acting perspective and story perspective but then the flow of this movie is totally messy possibly to balance action and comedy when the director demands. Huntress was the best character that organically delivers funny/awkward without being in your face. Robbie is good but I felt this viewing it was a tad bit of overacting from her to make the character funny. That sandwich obsession works so well :)

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Finally got around to seeing this one and... largely enjoyed it. (I'm seriously like a year and a half behind on almost everything that's been released.)

Pacing is good, humor remains pretty consistent (and is a very welcomed addition to the DCEU films), some solid action, and Margot/Harley worked as a lead. Didn't really dislike anything about it, honestly. Wouldn't call it "great", but it was certainly good and entertaining throughout. Flava'd saying that it felt "too much but not enough" is something I can agree with. Definitely seemed like it was trying to be both a PG-13 and R film at the same time. B.

Wonder Woman A-
Shazam B+
Joker B+
Man Of Steel B
Birds of Prey B
Aquaman B
Suicide Squad B-
Batman V. Superman B-
Justice League C

Going to watch Wonder Woman 1984 and The Suicide Squad this week. I'll probably get around to watching Snyder's Justice League, but it's gong to take a lot of motivation. I know almost everyone has said it's much better or at least better than expected, but... we'll see. It's hard to imagine a different cut managing to improve THAT much.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

It's not much better, it's a bit better. Not worth the 4 hours IMO.

Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:49 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Synder's Justice League is that one time slog fest that was shiny-new-toy when it was released but mostly no one will dare to watch it again in full.

Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:26 am
The Kramer

The final battle in the Snyder Cut is alot better and the main reason to watch it. If you don’t care about final battles then it is mostly the same.

Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:24 pm
Extraordinary

I think Snyder Cut is totally worth it lol. Let us know what you think whenever you watch it

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next