Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Rhythm Section 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

The Rhythm Section 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Rhythm Section

Quote:
The Rhythm Section is an upcoming 2020 British-American action drama film directed by Reed Morano and written by Mark Burnell, based on Burnell's novel of the same name.[2] The film stars Blake Lively, Jude Law, and Sterling K. Brown.

The Rhythm Section is scheduled to be released in the United States on January 31, 2020, by Paramount Pictures.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:48 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Rhythm Section
Blake Lively tries hard to make this compelling but the author fails to bring his own book to screen. There is a good story underneath this but it lacks any cinematic experience or redeeming qualities. Most likely all this stuff would be great to read. I also think that Reed Morano didn't do much with the execution and she completely fails to transition her skills from TV to movie. Blake Lively does the best of what she can in this and makes the movie passable (I really wish she would do more movies), Jude Law is wasted here with a complete one-dimensional asshole, Brown is not in here enough and no idea why the romantic details were edited here, takes you away from the emotional payoff in the end.

Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:46 am
Indiana Jones IV

I thought it was well directed and the kitchen fight and car chase are pretty great action scenes, both done in one, continuous, multi-minute shot.

Lively is great. Law was very good as well, and I thought his character was actually pretty multi-dimensional and interesting.

The problem is that we have seen so many versions of this story before, that it feels generic.

Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Did Law get a closure scene that I missed? Lively manages to figure out the bad guy herself and Law has nothing to do after the training scenes in the middle act

Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:11 pm
Indiana Jones IV

*** SPOILERS ***

Well, Law is pretty much driving the story until the last 15 minutes or so. Blake has no idea where go, or who to contact, or who to kill, or how to start the investigation. She rejects Law's command only after the N.Y scenes, and that's pretty close to the end.

And the final scene is the two of them together. Law tells her to leave the game, now that the mission is complete. Lively rejects the offer and says she stays in, if she wants. Law just looks at her, but there is clear realization on his face that Blake is now equal to him. So that's the closure of the master-apprentice relationship.

Besides, throughout the story Law tries to do the right thing. He is harsh, but not an asshole. Harshness is exactly what Blake needs to become the person she needs to be.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:21 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah I get that part but for me that was not a closure for the character IMO because he was really teaching her to be that from the beginning (the motivation behind his tutelage are also not explained) and there was no prior mention that he wanted Lively to leave this life (mostly the other way around). I agree I was being hard on that character when I said he was an asshole. Also the training scenes are one of the most stupid ones that I have seen recently, swim or drown, wtf?

I did like the kitchen scene but then we don't see a similar one in the real fight. The only one that I can distinctly identify from the training are the car chase scene.

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]