Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Just Mercy 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Just Mercy 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Just Mercy

Quote:
Just Mercy is a 2019 American legal drama film directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, and starring Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Foxx, Rob Morgan, Tim Blake Nelson, Rafe Spall, and Brie Larson. It tells the true story of Walter McMillian, who, with the help of young defense attorney Bryan Stevenson, appeals his murder conviction. The film is based on the memoir of the same name, written by Stevenson.

It had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 6, 2019, and was theatrically released by Warner Bros. Pictures on December 25, 2019. The film received positive reviews from critics, and for his performance Foxx received a nomination at the 26th Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role.

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:27 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Just Mercy
This was a usual Oscar bait that have great leads. The problem is that the movie is too safe and checks all the boxes of the movies we have seen in the past. I can understand why it wasn't picked up at major awards. The underlying story is good but they needed to create suspense of the murder of atleast have something to make the movie more interesting.

Tue May 19, 2020 5:14 am
Defeats all expectations

I saw this in the movie theater. The reactions from the black folks there told me that the story resonated with a lot of them.

I was tired that day. I want to see this again sometime so that I can analyze how well it makes its case against death penalty and racial profiling.

Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 am
The Kramer

Excellent movie. Very powerful and inspiring while rarely crossing into campy territory. I didn't know the story going on and was 99.9% sure they were just gonna kill him anyways, but the happy ending shows that one person really can make a difference. Also loved when the prisoners banged their cups on the bars. Great stuff. Only thing that was off was Brie Larson, who is probably too big of a star to be in that bit role and I kept expecting her to do something.

A-

Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]