Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 

Rate This Film
A 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Quote:
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (also known as Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker) is a 2019 American epic space-opera film produced, co-written, and directed by J. J. Abrams. It is the third installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy, following The Force Awakens (2015) and The Last Jedi (2017), and the final episode of the nine-part "Skywalker saga".[a] It was produced by Lucasfilm and Abrams's production company Bad Robot Productions, and was distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. The film's ensemble cast includes Carrie Fisher,[b] Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Anthony Daniels, Naomi Ackie, Domhnall Gleeson, Richard E. Grant, Lupita Nyong'o, Keri Russell, Joonas Suotamo, Kelly Marie Tran, Ian McDiarmid, and Billy Dee Williams.

After the new trilogy was announced following Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm in 2012, it was originally reported that The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson would write the script for Episode IX. In August 2015, Colin Trevorrow was hired to direct the film while constant-collaborator Derek Connolly would co-write a new script (both would eventually receive story credit with Abrams and Chris Terrio). In September 2017, Trevorrow left the project following creative differences with producer Kathleen Kennedy, and Abrams was hired to return a few days later. Principal photography began in August 2018 at Pinewood Studios in England, and wrapped in February 2019; post-production was completed on November 24, 2019.

The Rise of Skywalker had its world premiere in Los Angeles on December 16, 2019, and will be released theatrically on December 20 in the United States.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:00 am
We had our time together

Post Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
First movie. It's a disapointment for sure. Worst of the trilogy easily. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie, it's just terribly lazy, it got no real rhythm, there's way too much fanservice and it never really managed to suck me in. At least it wasn't boring and had some beautiful imagery.

The Force Awakens - A
The Last Jedi - A-
The Rise of Skywalker - B

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Grill

I'll take that!

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:39 pm
Keeping it Light

I could write more later, but im in that camp too.
TFA was a concerted effort to continue the Star Wars story, TROS is a mess, almost nothing interesting develops the story of the characters, they seem there much more just for show. TROS's action and special effects feel like an afterthought as well, they mostly have no pop. There's some cool parts and visuals in it, it's not a disaster or anything, but I think it's a letdown for anyone who liked one or both of the previous films of this trilogy.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:19 pm
We had our time together

Very well put, stuffp.

I can see your point Magnus. TFA had it's fair amount of fan service and lazyness too, but I can forgive it it's flaws quite easily because everything was just executed way better and more engaging. It got some great, memorable moments. I just watched it yesterday again and there's so much sense of adventure and magic, it got a great flow and some parts always manage to get my blood pumping and my face grinning. During TROS I felt none of that. It has no soul. It's no fun. The whole movie feels way less organic than the first one and I thought Ridley and Driver were just wasted here. Going back to Palpatine as big baddie and
Spoiler: show
making Rey his granddaughter (I'm one of the few who loved the revelation in TLJ that her parents are nobodys, made Rey's power more impressive and powerful, imo)
was just really lame too.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Weakest of the three for sure. But dam did I have a good time. This movie is all over the place.

I think the thing that bums me out the most is no great lightsaber battle this entire trilogy.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:17 pm
Forum General

I liked it more than TLJ and a little less than TFA, but to me all these movies are pretty much the same honestly, but this one especially has some serious problems man. The first half is really convoluted and it moves at a really fast pace, so its hard to keep with a lot of it, but after a while I did start to get used to it. So much more needed to be done with these characters though, because you can tell how underdeveloped they are. Kylo's turn didn't make much sense to me towards the end considering how much damage the guy has already done in this trilogy and it never felt like he was going down a path of redemption. Leia's death was handled pretty poorly too, and while I enjoyed Ian McDiarmids screentime as the Emperor it seriously hurts this movie that their was absolutely no build up to his return and he just feels so forced in. Hux being a spy and then getting immediately killed afterwards was pretty funny and idiotic though. Like where the fuck did that even come from?

B-

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:57 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I think JJ said it best " I suck at endings"

The trilogy is good, But I don't think it does anything to move the story. I mean is it so where a guy says "i'm the spy" to just explain shit. Are Jedi dead? This film almost feels like the circle jerk you didn't ask for.

It is frustrating to say the least.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:11 pm
Extraordinary

So it is weird, I found the best of the trilogy. I actually really dislike TLJ because of how they handled Luke and stuff. I think Revenge of the Sith was a better film than TLJ. I argue the Phantom Menace was better. It least had some cool scenes and Darth Maul fight was better than anything in that film. I have only see it once and can't really watch it again. I think JJ Abrams was in a rough spot, trying to correct the TLJ mess. I think critics hate this movie because they love Last Jedi. I have a feeling the fans will appreciate this film more.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:10 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

B
Rey Palpatine
Also leiah's death is the laziest But I've ever seen. I know real life sucks but man, there had to be a better way to do that.
First third is good. Second on a chore third picks up the pace again

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Last edited by Mau on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:28 am
Forum General

The way Rey killed Palpatine was some of the biggest crock of shit ever yet for some reason it still didn't make me mad. Maybe that shows just how much I've become uninvested in this new trilogy the same way I have become with Terminator now, but man it was still pretty bad. The whole Reylo angle felt like bad fan fiction too, especially that awkward kiss at the end and Kylo just dissapearing with his clothes being left behind lol. It's a shame too because Adam Drivers performance is really on point in this movie, but the writing just isn't very good at all.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:41 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am wondering if we will see a Reylo child next with Ben giving his life force into her stomach

:hahaha:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:48 am
Extraordinary

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I am wondering if we will see a Reylo child next with Ben giving his life force into her stomach

:hahaha:

I hope not. Would be a horrible idea. I wonder if we will get another Rey film or perhaps a Disney plus series showing her rebuilding the Jedi order.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Lol at Rey pulling a Rose Dawson. Love it

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 am
100% That Bitch

It is eazy how much I hated Leiah's death. It took me out of the film and the amazing lightsaber fight before hand

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:04 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
I was too busy laughing at this movie that I may have not seen it but....

Did Finn ever tell Rey what he was going to say to her?

Wasn't it just that he knew that she was Palpatine's grandaughter? Which I thought was weird that Leia would tell him but ok

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:42 am
Extraordinary

think with better execution this movie could've worked a lot better but idk. While watching it I was thinking eh, not so bad but TFA and TLJ are leagues better and more investing imo.

I kinda thought Keri Russell's character looked cool but ya, she didn't have anything to do.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:49 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
publicenemy#1 wrote:
Magnus wrote:
I was too busy laughing at this movie that I may have not seen it but....

Did Finn ever tell Rey what he was going to say to her?

Wasn't it just that he knew that she was Palpatine's grandaughter? Which I thought was weird that Leia would tell him but ok

LOLZZZZZZZ

Also, how savage were they to Rose. At least when they cut down Jar Jar screen time it was gradual over two movies and also he’s a CGI character and not a human. That random black girl who for some odd reason becomes Landos daughter (D+ series I’m sure) has 10x more lines.

Lol is that what they were hinting? I didn't get that at all. Seems like she had more scenes but was cut down.

But yeah, Rose had like 6 lines of dialogue lol poor Kelly Marie Tran. Like Rose in TLJ had more of an arc than 80% of the characters here.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:51 am
Keeping it Light

Magnus' assessments are pretty much all spot on.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:02 am
Extraordinary

This 'last of the Skywalker' saga thing they're trying to push will look silly if this does under a billion. Like I would want to see Rey again tbh. Everyone else, eh.

Finn as a character sucked the whole trilogy not gonna lie.

Maz looking like she was smiling when Leia vanished was strange lol

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:06 am
The Kramer

Bringing Palpatine back and centering the entire story around him was ... not the way I would have gone. It leaves no room to keep developing the arcs from the previous two and it’s thematically boring because of it. At the very least Ben should have lived and gone off to fuck Rey in desert worlds and make amends for his past misdeeds.

That being, there are still enough moments in here that I was enjoying myself for most of it. And there’s still nothing quite like the rush that comes from being in the Star Wars universe.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:20 am
The Kramer

I’m very happy Chewy finally got a medal.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:21 am
Forum General

Yeah Magnus's points are all valid IMO, because it goes to show you just how bad and rushed a lot of the writing was in this movie and how desperate JJ was at wanting to please everybody. It just feels like they needed another movie to come out before this one to make any of this shit work or seem logical. After TLJ they really should have took their time to establish Kylo's conflict with the dark side and the light side even if I don't believe the character deserves any redemption at this point. The whole Rey/Kylo dynamic was actually some of my favorite stuff from TLJ, but it was clearly established in that movie that Rey turned him down, and yet all of a sudden theirs this awkward sexual tension between the two that hasn't been explored at all which is a huge miss for something could have potentially been really interesting if it was developed better.

Also, what the fuck was the point of The Knights of Ren being in this? Completely wasted characters who could have been a cool new element, but once again they are poorly developed. I mean imagine how dope it would have been with a whole movie just dedicated to Kylo leading those guys into battle conquering planets, and him finally becoming a serious threat and reaching the heights that not even his grandfather could. That material is just ripe for potential IMO.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:58 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I’m very happy Chewy finally got a medal.

Rrrrrrr-ghghghghgh!

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:05 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magnus the Ripper!!!!

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next