Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 

Rate This Film
A 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 
Superfreak

Post Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
I thought I heard Hayden christensen voice talking to Rey, is this confirmed anywhere?

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:09 am
Cream of the Crop

IX is a bad movie - - garbage.

Worst of the series.

*F*

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:09 am
Keeping it Light

I read that Abrams acknowledged that Finn wanted to tell Rey that he's force sensitive.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:47 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

My biggest issue is that this movie doesn't really provide closure to the saga, and instead left me with a lot more questions than answers (which is aggravating). Most of it involved reintroducing Palpatine to the story, which was certainly done as a last minute decision.

1. How did Palpatine create Snoke? Palpatine simply says that he created him, but not how or why. I understand why (to control the First Order himself), but how? We're lead to believe Palpatine learned the skill to create life from his master, at least I believe so (although having to absorb Rey and Ren's abilities to revive himself properly contradicts that a bit), but... how? We see another clone of Snoke in a vat in the film, maybe even more than one, so he is "creating" them, but we're given zero details on how.

2. The entire Rey is a Palpatine's grandaugher... This is serious fan fiction stuff, and we're given an incredibly rushed, and unfinished, explanation. I don't even get it, honestly. If someone here can explain all this to me, I'd appreciate it!

3. Perhaps the ability to reach (or "force" yourself) through space to affect another place or person (the Rey and Ren interactions, especially in this film) happens in the novels, but this ability hasn't appeared anywhere before on screen, including in the animated shows. What Luke does at the end of TLJ I would presume is the same ability (only because he is able to physically interact with Leia). This ability, again I presume only possible by most force-sensitive, would have changed A LOT in the previous films, so why didn't we see characters like Yoda, Windu, Maul, Dooku or Palatine (or any of the skilled characters in the animated shows) utilize it... Like... it's a pretty damn powerful ability!

Someone answer these for me, please...

Besides all the questions (those are just the major one for me), I still mostly enjoyed the film. I could go on about how it was rushed, and how this entire sequel series has serious coherency issues, but the film was still entertaining enough.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This was mildly entertaining, but it’s easily the least memorable Star Wars movie after Solo. Palestine coming back immediately took me out of the movie, such a stupid idea that was clearly not intended to happen based on the first two movies. The first half of the movie was convoluted in an uninteresting way, the whole film was filled with too many characters that had nothing to do. The plot armor that the force was used for here was too much. While I didn’t like TFA, it was far more sure of itself and honestly seemed less like a rehash than this. This was literally “throw crap up from the OT and ROTS and see if any of it sticks”. Completely reeked of desperation and incredibly disrespectful to The Last Jedi and Rian Johnson. Trying to retcon everything people didn’t like about TLJ felt so hollow.

C+

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:27 pm
Superfreak

"I'M THE SPY!" and "Poe, Leia left you in charge" garnered audible/unintentional laughter at my screening

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:15 am
The Kramer

I think Im the Spy is supposed to be funny. I actually really liked that moment, Hux was in three scenes and had more of an arc than two of the main characters.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:48 am
Keeping it Light

Magnus wrote:
stuffp wrote:
I read that Abrams acknowledged that Finn wanted to tell Rey that he's force sensitive.

That’s somehow even worse than Finn saying I love you or that he knew she was a Palpatine.

It is yeah, because those would be more defensible as to hesitating to tell...but why be secretive about jedi powers.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:49 am
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I think the damage, was already done. And in some way they could make up for that damage, but it still has to make sense somehow...I wonder how someone would feel that would see TFA and goes directly to TROS and skip TLJ, would the TROS make more or less sense then?

One thing I imagine fans would really want is more Luke in TROS and just not fucking more with the overall lore. But reversing TLJ should actually just never be the point. Basically they thought they would fans happy by undoing what they hated about TLJ, but I think they simply should just make not make the same mistake instead of trying to actively reverse it. I don't really know much about the fans but I think they were more disappointed with Rey being a nobody than that they really hated it. From what I understood they really did hate Rose though and though from some perspective odd, I think it did please the fans that she was just an afterthought in TROS.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:39 am
Superfreak

Also, Lando's creepy ass line at the end? "Well lets find out"...

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:09 pm
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:

Think that could've been cut. We know absolutely nothing about that character so trying to tease something that no one really gives a crap about is lol

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:19 pm
The Kramer

I love Rian Johnson’s response to the criticisms of Luke. Will probably fly over TLJ haters heads though.

Quote:
I think it disrespects the character of Luke to by treating him not as a mythical hero overcoming recurring wounds & flaws, but as a video game character who has achieved a binary, permanent power-up

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:37 pm
Forum General

Reverting on Rey's "nobody" status seemed inevitable (knowing J.J.) but still irked me to no end.

I still didn't hate this, though, and would like to re-watch it (I had to sit too close to the screen in my showing).

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:31 pm
Keeping it Light

Yeah, Luke's role was just messed up considering everything known about him till that point. Him throwing the lightsaber over his shoulder would be the equivalent of John Wick killing a dog in the next film.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:34 pm
Forum General

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Excel wrote:

Think that could've been cut. We know absolutely nothing about that character so trying to tease something that no one really gives a crap about is lol

Well according to some novel out there that character is supposed to be Lando's long lost daughter which is hella convenient considering how fucking huge the galaxy is supposed to be yet there are so many other plot conveniences in this movie that it honestly wouldn't be the least bit surprising if it did end up being true, but like publicenemy said who the hell cares, especially when we know nothing about that character or care too?

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 pm
---------

This was terribly disappointing. I can't get over how stupid making Rey into a Palpatine is.

Corpse wrote:
3. Perhaps the ability to reach (or "force" yourself) through space to affect another place or person (the Rey and Ren interactions, especially in this film) happens in the novels, but this ability hasn't appeared anywhere before on screen, including in the animated shows. What Luke does at the end of TLJ I would presume is the same ability (only because he is able to physically interact with Leia). This ability, again I presume only possible by most force-sensitive, would have changed A LOT in the previous films, so why didn't we see characters like Yoda, Windu, Maul, Dooku or Palatine (or any of the skilled characters in the animated shows) utilize it... Like... it's a pretty damn powerful ability!

This was one of the few interesting tidbits in the movie that was foreshadowed in The Last Jedi. During one of their interactions, the rain transfers from where Rey is to Kylo's ship.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:01 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Has a few fun and entertaining moments and is certainly never boring, but it's a lame way to close out this trilogy of films. The screenplay in particular is horrible.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:00 pm
Profile YIM
Team Kris

I absolutely loved this film. JJ Abrams has done it again. After Rian almost single handedly ruined Star Wars with TLJ, Abrams returns it to the fun holiday blockbuster TFA was. While I would have loved to see Luke back and battle Palpatine, seeing Rey and a redeemed Ben team up was thrilling to watch. I think overall it was nice seeing our favorite characters together instead of being split apart.

On a side note, best addition by subtraction was getting rid of the annoying Rose.

A-

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Magnus wrote:
I think it disrespects a character that had an entire three episode arc of believing in hope and the ability for people to overcome their sins and then have him disregard all of that and explain it in a ten second flashback.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. TLJ fundamentally rushes through Lukes backstory between OT and ST and it’s a disrespect to that character. It’s never well explained how VI Luke becomes VIII Luke other than its convinent for the story that TLJ wanted tell.

See, this is stupid. If you want to blame anything for Luke in TLJ... blame TFA. If Luke is so full of hope and all that shit you're talking about... why would he have gone off to an island by himself? That makes no fucking sense UNLESS it was for some reason, like having a moment of doubt and doing something terrible.

Rian fixed JJ's Luke arc by giving Luke redemption and giving him his most badass moment of the entire series. And a more badass death than Obi Wan.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:49 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

MGKC wrote:
This was terribly disappointing. I can't get over how stupid making Rey into a Palpatine is.

Corpse wrote:

This was one of the few interesting tidbits in the movie that was foreshadowed in The Last Jedi. During one of their interactions, the rain transfers from where Rey is to Kylo's ship.

As for WHY it was never used in the OT, I would guess because... it was never made canon by then? IDK, ask Lucas. Why didn't Vader ever use his lightning power, if he was as powerful as everyone says?

Rian did a lot of work with the Lucasfilm/SW guys on what potential jedi/force things he could use.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:55 pm
The Kramer

One moment of fan service that I'm surprised didn't happen: when Rey starts to hear the voices of the Jedi, I really wanted all the Jedi ghosts to show up too. Then Luke, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Mace, all the Jedi that ever existed take on the ghosts of all the Sith. It would have been awesome. If you're gonna use the rest of the movie to bring everyone else back then why not just go for it all?

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:38 pm
Romosexual!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
One moment of fan service that I'm surprised didn't happen: when Rey starts to hear the voices of the Jedi, I really wanted all the Jedi ghosts to show up too. Then Luke, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Mace, all the Jedi that ever existed take on the ghosts of all the Sith. It would have been awesome. If you're gonna use the rest of the movie to bring everyone else back then why not just go for it all?

This ain’t Ghostbusters, chief.

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:26 pm
On autopilot for the summer

It could been interesting, kind of like that last scene In deathly Hallows before Voldemort kills the harrycrux

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:13 pm
Team Kris

A friend of mine was hoping Rey would go full Mad Queen GOT style and embrace the dark side and her inner Palpatine. I can imagine a similar fan backlash that happened with GOT but it sure as hell would have been ballsy.

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

KC wrote:
A friend of mine was hoping Rey would go full Mad Queen GOT style and embrace the dark side and her inner Palpatine. I can imagine a similar fan backlash that happened with GOT but it sure as hell would have been ballsy.

Nah, Rey isn’t nearly as beloved a character, and she’s much more of a blank slate. Daenerys was protector of the innocent for seasons. Rey has never shown that much moral fiber.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next