Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 

Rate This Film
A 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 
The Kramer

Post Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
The writers have offered some insight:

Finn was going to tell Rey was force sensitive .. but didn’t want Poe to know. That actually makes even less sense than saying I Love You but whatever

Palpatine died at the end of the Jedi and this is a new body.

It was KKs idea to bring him back as she wanted the nine films to be telling the same story and end the Skywalker saga ... why? Not sure.

“With Snoke dead then it turns out that the biggest baddest guy in the galaxy is Kylo Ren” and it was difficult to make that work with his redemption story ... yeah that was supposed to be the point.

Rose was originally supposed to have a bigger role but they couldn’t make the fake-Leia tech work. Not sure I believe this one.

Despite the frustrating quotes, I think I have a better appreciation of the film because of them. Just seems like a total mess behind the scenes, and that they actually made a somewhat functional movie out of it is kind of impressive.

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:23 pm
Devil's Advocate

Starts out rough, but after they get off the planet with Chewie's fake death it becomes generally entertaining and operatic like the conclusion of the other three trilogies. But when you really think about, they spent 3 films just to make the Jedi protagonist who has Sith blood in her, refuse to join Palpatine and then beat him with the help of the villain of the series turning face. After the detour of TLJ (good and bad), all the criticisms of Force Awakens are just reinforced with that ending that just makes this trilogy come off as a cover song of the OT with a female lead singer.

A couple random notes

- I didn't really like Kylo's face turn. So he got stabbed and now he's back to being Ben? See this is the problem, if they make him turn face strictly with self conflict and ghost Han talking some sense into him, it's a more powerful character arc. But then they don't have the climactic fight between him and Rey that changes the character, and Disney really wants the fight and has this cool idea to set it on top of the death star and crashing waves, plus it gives them a reason to kill Leia, so they went with the fight.

- That they killed off 3 major characters by making them disappear after using too much force of whatever is lol. Kylo's was the most annoying because they had to make him seem alive enough solely for him to kiss Rey while it seeming like nothing is wrong, if his "transferring his life force to her" made him be 90% dead by the time she wakes up it would have played better.

- Unless they're already planning another series for him, they didn't have Finn say "I have the force" at the end of the movie to conclude his arc of having something to say to Rey was bad storytelling

- You can tell they hastily wrote Rose out of the movie and introduced a new black partner for Finn

- Just let Poe make out with Keri Russell at the end of the movie

- Why did they cast a fat X wing pilot who's NOT Jon Favreau, and then kill him off in a random act of violence. Was that to send a message to him about following orders?

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:10 am
Keeping it Light

I saw this before, but I just wanted to add, there's just too much not clicking with it. It mostly seems self inflicted to make up with the fans for TLJ, so it feels like an incoherent film in itself but also within this new trilogy and the whole sage. I actually like the (new trilogy) characters and the film is certainly watchable, it's much better than the pre-quel episode 1 and 2, there's more tension and it's better acted. But the story to round up this saga really needed more work, of course they didn't want to delay, but it really needed a director with a vision to plan this out 3-4 years in advance or so, but instead they ended up with relative weak sauce.

B-

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:56 am
Extraordinary

I just randomly thought about this film... what an epic fail lol

Say what you want about Last Jedi but that was an experience seeing for the first time. This... er...

So sad.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:10 am
The Kramer

I enjoyed the ride in the theater, but this movie just makes me upset everytime I think about it. I still have not rewatched it on Disney+. Definitely the worst Star Wars movie and it should be ashamed of itself. I get that not everybody loves Last Jedi like I do, but Mando has proven they can make a Star Wars property that everybody is happy with. Clearly should have put Favraeu on this instead of Lion King.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:09 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is easily the weakest end of the new trilogy where Abrams' is stuck between pleasing fans and telling a compelling story that would bring closure to the central story, its sad that the whole arc with 9 movies ends with this. Having said all this JJ does deliver in action scenes and setup of these scenes. The story between Rey and Ren here feels like too much of a yo-yo which further brings this down. The finale tries to be too cinematic but instead comes out cartoonish.

B-

Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:00 am
The Kramer

I had put off rewatching this for the longest time, fearful that the very flawed but still entertaining movie I saw in theaters would officially become the disaster that I had reformed it as in my head.

And while I was close to turning it off at several points, the end battle is still kinda cool and I still like when Rey and Kylo kiss. Everything else is pretty weak though. They clearly knew it was broken and just rushed it out to try and regain what moneys they could, very similar to Justice League the first time around. They linked the lower box office returns of Last Jedi with its very loud online criticism, ignoring that it had incredible reviews from people who like movies outside of this franchise. But the only thing that would have fixed it was a delay, and if they did that we would still be waiting on it. A rare unforced error from Disney here, they just boxed themselves in with the original plan to have one every two years with a new director.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:07 pm
The Kramer

Thrawn should have been the main villain behind everything instead of Palpy.

Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:33 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

One of the few great things about the prequels was that it felt like a real lived-in world with rules and such. To the point that it was exhausting. Like how Phantom Menace's set up involves trade disputes in the indecipherable intro scroll. Or how a major plot point of films 2-3 is political maneuvering to give the chancellor extra powers so he can approve an army, requiring the coordination of dozens of important characters. But what often resulted in interminable and convoluted plot arcs at least made the universe feel authentic. You believed this was an advanced galactic civilization that despite all the crazy tech and Jedi powers still was rooted in the basic elements of our civilization---it needed rule of law, resource extraction, funding mechanisms, political organizations, and such. The death star is even set up from Clones and then has another cameo in Sith. It takes three movies (retconned but still counts) for it to be made. Which makes sense. The biggest, baddest weapon in the universe shouldn't be something that just appears out of nowhere. There is extensive machination and planning involved and it occupies a large part of the films. It takes about 30 years for this to happen.

So when the First Order or whatever they were called have a 1) planet-sized death star that can shoot its rays across the galaxy, 2) planet killing ship, 3) Palpatine reappears randomly and has an infinite fleet of star destroyers, all of this basically coming out of nowhere with no explanation, no connection to the rest of the universe, no behind the scenes of how they managed these insane feats of tech, it makes everything seem like poorly written Disney fanfiction where Katheter Kennedy sat at her Macbook, sipped her kombucha smoothie, took her estrogen supplement, and thought long and hard for 3 minutes about "how to impress the geeks, what's bigger than a death star?".

D+

Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5