Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 

Rate This Film
A 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 
The Kramer

Post Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
The Knights of Ren must have been the original final boss right? There was nothing in the last two movies that suggested Palpatine was coming back.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:25 am
The Kramer

Actually if you remove Palpatine this same story would be fine. The First Order has a massive fleet of Death Star Destroyers because of course they do. Poe is still reluctant to take his role as leader of the resistance and just goes back to trying to be Han Solo instead. Finn must watch as the woman he loves falls for someone he considers to be pure evil. Give this time to breathe and you have a great starting point.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:30 am
Forum General

I actually didn't mind Kerri Russel's character either, but there are just too many damn side characters in this movie that its hard to tell if any of them actually make an impression, because I didn't care for the majority of them. Like her whole connection to Poe is something that seemed pretty interesting at first and I wish had they taken more time to explore it instead of just rushing off to the next scene which happens throughout most of this movie. Also, The Knights of Ren definitely had a bigger role than the trash we got here, and I'm sure JJ originally wanted to develop that aspect more until Rian Johnson came along and killed off Snoke in TLJ who was so obviously supposed to be the FINAL BIG BAD in this trilogy instead of Palpatine. Again this is exactly what happens when you don't have a plan in mind, and your directors are never on the same page.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:43 am
Extraordinary

I liked that Snoke died in TLJ, it was a genuine surprise. And ironically if it was Snoke in this movie as the 'big bad' he would've been just like Palpatine in Return of the Jedi and do nothing.

The Dark Rey scene should've been a little longer. It was like 20 seconds and went by too quickly.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
The Dark Rey scene should've been a little longer. It was like 20 seconds and went by too quickly.

That's applicable to almost all good scenes in the movie. The light-saber fight at the beach, and the finale and the ..............just about everything.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:54 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

There were so many things they did that made me mad. And they did it for no reason other than to appease certain people.

Sure, I enjoyed the movie overall. It went pretty quick, it had some really cool moments, some fun characters (BABUUUUUUUUU). But man, JJ should've just asked Rian how to end it. There was just too much going on. You could've still had Palpatine without tying him to Rey. Anakin came from nothing! So why did Rey have to come from something? So stupid. And the idiotic line from Luke regarding "how to treat a lightsaber"? Fuck y'all. I hope Rian makes his trilogy and reverses everything they did in this.

B+/A- maybe? idk

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:39 am
Romosexual!

I liked it. Fast paced, a lot of star wars. need multiple viewing to see how much I liked it. Seeing it again tonight.

Luke: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
The Emperor: Your faith in your friends is yours!

George Lucas: 'It's like poetry, it rhymes”

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:46 am
Superfreak

To have the new characters feel developed by modern audience standards & to appease older fans looking for proper exits for the original trio, this needed to be 4 films and have just one guiding hand at the helm.

I truly wonder how much more badass this series could have been had Johnson been at the helm throughout.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:09 pm
Grill

I dug the hell out of it. It has its issues but I just enjoyed the final installment of the saga I love.

I'll put more words down when I see again tomorrow.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:46 pm
On autopilot for the summer

They talk a lot about fan service, but I feel that's where it went most flat. I actually didn't find it dragging. It at the end of day does not deliver what the first trailer put across. Say what you want about Lucas but he told a story that we knew the ending

I just don't understand the story here. Palps returning is so cool yet so unrealized That's the best way to describe the movie.\\We'

We are basically the" Best of SNL: edition

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:19 pm
Superfreak

Holy shit the fan reactions are really bad

https://twitter.com/Desparadina1/status ... 4006991872

^ spoilers - in theater melt downs

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:51 am
The Kramer

Palpatine sucks.

Maybe its just cause I happen to be watching this season of Clone Wars, but this episode also puts Anakins status as the chosen one in doubt. If Palpatine lived then he never actually brought balance to the force and was just an asshole.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:37 am
100% That Bitch

Now that ivr actually thought of this film... It sucks.
It backpedals EVERYTHING TLJ did right. Rey was perfect as a nobody's daughter, but they had to make her Palpatine's granddaughter? Fuck this stupid shit. TLJ worked do hard to distance itself from the OT and all this one's does is bring them back?

If I wanted the original characters I would have watched the OT.
Thank u, next.

D

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:16 pm
Superfreak

People can say what they want but basically all of the truly badass moments in this trilogy came from TLJ. It is pretty clear that Johnson is a vastly superior filmmaker to JJ

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:45 pm
Extraordinary

After seeing it again there are really strong moments, most of them being the Rey/Kylo stuff. And some of the stuff that felt off didn't feel as off but it still doesn't feel as grand as it could've been.

How did people feel about Return of the Jedi when it came out? It seems like it's pretty well regarded now but it feels similar to this in that it's a lot weaker than the previous 2 entries.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:09 pm
The Kramer

Excel wrote:
People can say what they want but basically all of the truly badass moments in this trilogy came from TLJ. It is pretty clear that Johnson is a vastly superior filmmaker to JJ
This will be the hook for the next trilogy. :funny:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:15 pm
The Kramer

Well the plan was to let three unique filmmakers all use their own vision of what Star Wars could be. And we know that Trevorrow is at the very least good with making spectacular ending sequences. I wonder what his version would have looked like. Once again, I just cannot fathom that Palpatine was the original final boss for this film.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:10 pm
Forum General

Yeah I'm not sure Trevorvvow would have made this movie any better since he's a pretty bland director, and as much as I did enjoy JW the writing was far from great in that movie. Now, I still haven't seen his indie stuff, but as far as mainstream blockbusters go I doubt it would have turned out any better than what JJ delivered. I really think the misorganization in the handling of this franchise by Kathleen Kennedy and the Disney execs is what sunk this trilogy the most. I mean ever since the Solo drama you could tell their was something wrong, and now after TLJ its like they had no idea what to do and just through a bunch of darts at the wall as to what they thought would please fans more and it ends up being just one gigantic mess.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:28 pm
Forum General

Lol Greta Gerwig is definitely an inspired choice, but honestly I wish they had found a way to get Faverau to direct instead of him putting all his time into that TLK remake. Him and Filoni have been doing wonderful things with The Mandalorian so far despite episodes 4 and 5 not being the best.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:44 pm
Forum General

publicenemy#1 wrote:
think with better execution this movie could've worked a lot better but idk. While watching it I was thinking eh, not so bad but TFA and TLJ are leagues better and more investing imo.

I kinda thought Keri Russell's character looked cool but ya, she didn't have anything to do.

Oh my God that was Keri Russell under the helmet? :funny:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:34 pm
Forum General

Also, I thought Finn was going to tell Rey he loved her.

I forget if there's a reason he would have known about her lineage?

Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:09 pm
Superfreak

Ok so after 2 viewings:

-This is very much in the MAN OF STEEL like category for me where it is an entertaining enough film to watch with good actors in the right roles and yet nothing comes together the way you would expect it to. It leaves with an odd feeling of wanting to see more of the characters but mores out of hope that they're used correctly than anything else.

-The 2 big problems of the film for me:

1 - After sitting on it, this new trilogy frankly should have been 5 films. TFA and TLJ really tell one story. As Luke even fucking says at the end of TLJ, "The war is just beginning" and it feels very, very strange to be ending everything the very next film. As a result, everything here feels extremely rushed and there is just way, way too much going, basically none of the character endings feel satisfying. Truly none of them.

-Rey's arc is obviously the most complete but even that is seriously lacking. Where does her rage randomly come from, why is she suddenly so into Ben Solo, where do we get the sense she is really good friends with the others, etc.

-Kylo is interesting but I didn't buy his sudden turn to the light at all. He goes from wanting to kill Palpatine to ensure his dominance to turning back to the light in the blink of an eye. That felt insanely fake and unearned even with Driver's great acting.

-Everyone else obviously does not have an arc.

2- The movie is shockingly predictable and cautious & suffers mightily for being so by-the-numbers. No surprises, no shocks, no tension. The "Rey's parents" thing is so fucking annoying, it was so much better with her being an Anika-like nobody. Palpatine is an insanely forced villain given the cheesiest of dialogue to deliver. Of course Kylo turns to the light super easily. Of course he has to sacrifice himself to save Rey. Many in my theater laughed out loud when they say Leia left Poe in charge, talk about not feeling earned whatsoever.

I have no plans to watch this again and rewatch any scenes on YouTube in the future.

This really should have gone like this:

2015: FORCE AWAKENS except let the OT have some shine together- Luke, Han, and Leia need to be together at some point
2017: LAST JEDI except swap Holdo w/ Leia and do not kill Luke, end w/ Luke getting back in the game
2019: Episode 9 - No Palpatine, show the battle really taking off with Ren's emergence as the supreme leader and Rey's emergence as the leader of the resistance; Luke as a mentor; plant the seeds for the "bigger" threat in the form of a rival First Order leader to Ren?, develop the TLJ idea of others being force sensitive and developing around the galaxy
2021: Episode 10 Part 1: Establish Ren's rival as primary villain who kills Luke at the end, end film on dark note as if war is lost
2022: Episode 10 Part 2: complete arcs with of the new trio

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:25 am
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
Suddenly into Ben Solo? She's been into Ben since he took of the mask in TFA.

Creating a tragic love story between two characters battling with light and dark side was the only real great thing this trilogy did. It didn't execute it perfectly and missed a lot but the end product of that dynamic is more good than bad.

like, this is classical Romanticism storytelling at its core and it's kind of amazing that they essentially just turned Jane Eyre into a space opera blockbuster. The problem with Reylo is that dumbass fangirls made it feel like Twilight/anime shit and not a 1800s Romantic tale.

I was referring to how she basically ignored everything he did as Kylo Ren and acted like none of that happened. Kylo's turn to the light just feels so predictable. His character has, IMO, one of the all-time badass moves in TLJ with his shocking power grab, its sad to see him become so by-the-numbers here

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:50 am
Superfreak

I seriously cant believe Disney greenlit this script which is so clearly half baked

Ray grabs a ship and holds it in mid air. Why is she just shooting at those flying pods or saber fighting in the throne roomagain? :funny: Just wipe them into the cliffs for gods sake! :funny:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:52 am
Quality is a great business plan

Just back from my imax show and I had a blast. I am among those who did not like SW8 at all and so this was fun despite being a mess. I think it had real good highs and things were moved at breakneck speed. It could have benefited from two part finale like what others said but JJ probably did not want to make another one. They should have delayed this to 2020 and let JJ take time to flesh out the script.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next