Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Marriage Story 

Rate this film:
A 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Marriage Story 
Devil's Advocate

Post Marriage Story

Quote:
Noah Baumbach's incisive and compassionate look at a marriage breaking up and a family staying together.

Directed: Noah Baumbach
Starring: Adam Driver, Scarlett Johannson, Laura Dern, Alan Alda, Ray Liotta

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:43 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Marriage Story
This is about as good as it gets for a divorce movie and after seeing it my pick to win Best Picture and become this generation's Kramer vs Kramer. ScarJo's best performance ever and Driver is also excellent playing a flawed person. Despite the subject matter the levity of Laura Dern's most LA lawyer ever and Alan Alda's washed but sees the bigger picture lawyer really helps make it enjoyable.

Really like the director Baumbach has evolved into, in addition to the intense one on one scenes, like Mistress America there's something about how he has multiple characters interacting in the same room that's play-like at times. Randy Newman's score was a bold choice but really worked for me.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:48 am
Extraordinary

I thought it was pretty good but for some reason didn't completely love it. ScarJo and Adam Driver give what may be their best performances ever and there are strong scenes throughout but idk.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:05 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is amazing. Hilarious and heartbreaking. Both ScarJo and Driver are absolutely brilliant. A

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:32 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I'm not a big Noah Baumbach fan, although I did enjoy The Meyerowitz Stories quite a bit, but damn I actually kind of loved this. I found it absolutely enthralling from beginning to end and the performances from Driver and Johannson in this were just incredible IMO. I can definitely see Driver getting some real Awards recognition at least, but Johnnson shouldn't be too far behind. Loved how this was directed and shot like a play at times, and man the scenes with Dern and Liotta were easily some of my favorites, especially Dern who also completely kills it in this.

A

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:18 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

It was fantastic. Obviously.

A+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:13 am
The Kramer

Surprised by how much I liked this. Wasn't at all overly sad and sappy or even caustically irreverent like I was expecting. It just feels real. Very grounded with actual people going through an actual thing. I loved how, depending on who's point of view we were in, the other person always seemed to be acting unreasonable and making a victim out of them. Just when you think you've sided with Nicole against her cheating, self-involved, Kylo Ren looking mothafucker of a husband you go to New York and see how he's trying to balance his work life with his cross-country family life and how Nicole has put him in such a bad position by hiring an aggressive lawyer that he cannot afford to match but if he doesn't it could cost him even more. That fucking bitch. But then we go back to LA and see her and the kid enjoying life out there way more than in NY and of course they should stay if that's what makes them happy and so on... Until eventually, during their huge fight at the end, you see the ugliness in both of them, and then the effort it takes to put the hatred and animosity they've built towards each other for the last decade aside for the sake of their kid.

Well done from everyone involved.

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:39 pm
Hold the door!

This movie was great, really heart breaking. Laura Dern was great as were the two leads. They clearly never should have married in the first place, it was obvious they had to divorce, but the movie does a great job explaining why they would have.

A

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 am
Keeping it Light

It's great. Loved it.

A-

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 am
Forum General

stuffp wrote:
It's great. Loved it.

A-

I'm glad you ended up really enjoying it stuffp. I wasn't sure if you would even be interested in it like me, but man did this movie turn out to be a real surprise.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:10 pm
Hold the door!

It's probably the best low concept Oscar bait movie I've seen in a long time. I would actually want to watch this again, which is not something I usually say about films of this type.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:50 pm
Keeping it Light

I didn't have much time/ opportunity to review some films recently and this wasn't particularly high up the list of films I want to see, but it's the kind of film that's suitable to watch with the wife I think.

And it is just great, I agree about the rewatchability factor that zwackerm mentions too, I don't particularly agree that they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place, truthfully yes it seems they rushed that, but the bigger issue at hand was their kid and also what escalated the divorce. But I think the crux of their relationship is that they didn't communicate well, she went along with some stuff that she later regretted, but for some reason she tried to hinge on the good things of Charlie. I think Charlie fucked it up the most though by just sleeping with someone else, he should have talked about it first.

Anyway, back to the film films itself, Driver and Johansson both deserve nominations for sure. Dern was good in her role too, but I feel nominating her just doesn't feel right, ik, May be a nomination but I think no way she should be a front runner, Liotta was at least as good in his role and nobody is talking about him. It's the same story as with Ali in Moonlight, it's just overrated.

I'm not really familiar with Baumbach films but he does a great job of setting up the scene and its all very well shot and it's just a tasty script where he got the best out of his actors. I'll have a closer look at his filmography.

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]