Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Knives Out 

Rate this film:
A 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Knives Out 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Knives Out

Quote:
Knives Out is a 2019 American mystery film written, produced and directed by Rian Johnson. Described as a modern take on the whodunit murder mystery genre, the film follows a family gathering gone horribly awry, after the family patriarch's death leads a master detective to investigate. The film stars an ensemble cast, including Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, Lakeith Stanfield, Katherine Langford, Jaeden Martell, and Christopher Plummer.

Knives Out had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 7, 2019, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on November 27, 2019, by Lionsgate.

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:16 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Knives Out
Ooh wow loved this. Not sure how it'll hold on another viewing but I thought this was wildly entertaining and Ana De Armas was wxcellent.

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:00 pm
Extraordinary

I think this was at a 7.3/10 on IMDB which I thought was strange as I was expecting a high average but it's at a 7.5 now, lol probably the anti- TLJ people downvoting it.

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:49 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah this was under 7 on imdb a few weeks back. Definitely anti Rian trolls. It looks great to me.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:49 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Same a pe. Really loved this but not sure how it will hold for second viewing mostly because you already know the donut. Everyone is great here though much less sinister than I thought the characters will be.

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:06 am
Forum General

Had a great time with this one.

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:27 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yes it wasn't difficult to figure out but it was damn fun.

It really pics up around the time Evans turns up and Daniel Craig dials up the fun factor to another level. Both great here.

And Ana De Armas - the more we see of her the better.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:06 am
The Kramer

A whodunnit that tells you who did it pretty early on, but still manages to create a compelling mystery for the rest of the run time. Expertly made and filled with a bunch of despicable but fun characters and this movie is just a great time. Daniel Craig steals the show by having the time of his life on screen.

I do wish there had been one more twist, where either Marta, more members of the family or even Harlan himself were involved in his death.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:02 pm
On autopilot for the summer

And Bravo Don Johnson. I found him easily the highlight. Not that everyone else didn't have their moments.

I'm so down for another film with Craig in this role.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:03 pm
Hold the door!

Loved this. Probably my favorite of the year after Endgame. But then again most movies I saw this year sucked.

A

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:02 pm
Forum General

This was excellent. Very entertaining and compelling from beginning to end, although I do think the payoff could have been just a little bit stronger. Craig and Evans make this so damn enjoyable though and Ana de Armas is really fantastic as the one who does most of the carrying. I know it's technically an ensemble, but it felt like to me that the majority of this movie was really resting on her shoulders which is also the reason why I kind of wish that we got to see more of this amazing cast interact with each other, because their just wasn't enough of it IMO.

A

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:48 pm
Wallflower

The first half hour is a little slow but not so much that it bothered me. It really starts to get interesting once it's revealed what happened. I was a little surprised it was revealed so early but it just got more and more interesting from then on out. Ana de Armas was fantastic. Also very good were Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, and Toni Collette. The whole thing is just a lot of fun. We really don't get enough movies like this. Hopefully after the success of Murder on the Orient Express and this we can get more.

9/10 (A-)

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:22 am
100% That Bitch

A+
Favorite movie of the year.

PERIOD

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:10 pm
Hold the door!

Rewatched Murder on the Orient Express, and this blows it out of the water. Hopefully Death on the Nile is closer to this in quality.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:22 pm
Wallflower

I didn't have much interest in Murder on the Orient Express but after this I'm more interested. Plus I probably should before Nile, which I am looking forward to because of Armie Hammer.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:16 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was excellent. Hugely entertaining with a great ensemble cast at the top of their game. Ana de Armas was really brilliant here in particular.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:02 pm
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

Watching it again and how I'd this not getting any Oscar buzz?.

Literally the best movie or the year
A+

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:59 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Just tremendous.

A+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:03 am
Devil's Advocate

I enjoyed this a lot, but the key is really Craig and Armas. Craig is wildly entertaining and likeable despite absolutely 0 about his character, and the whole movie rests on Armas being an empathetic person.

I echo some of Gamaur's thoughts that it was somewhat refreshing that the most logical person to be a criminal in the family did it, and the restraint to not make the old man alive or throw out a bunch more twists like that Community episode where everyone is double double crossing each other. That you're shown very early that he slit his own throat and it ends up being true, but to still have a murder reveal at the end was a neat way to handle the format.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:23 pm
Keeping it Light

Don't have much to add what hasn't been said yet before in the posts above, it's just a really good and entertaining film. The cast nails it and its a pretty unique story for a who d-unit murder mystery. Rian Johnson shows to a master film maker once again and his future films are one to look out for. It was one of my favorite cinema going experiences last year, I went to see it twice too. I don't love it, but it's fun and re-watchable.

B+

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:12 am
We had our time together

I was a bit disapointed, tbh. It's good, but never as entertaining as I thought it would be. I feel like a second viewing would be a bad idea in this case.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:41 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Riggs wrote:
I was a bit disapointed, tbh. It's good, but never as entertaining as I thought it would be. I feel like a second viewing would be a bad idea in this case.

Yeah I had a good time watching this in theaters, but don’t feel inclined to watch it again. (granted I almost never watch movies multiple times unless I absolutely love them)

Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:44 pm
Where will you be?

Steve wrote:
Riggs wrote:

Yeah I had a good time watching this in theaters, but don’t feel inclined to watch it again. (granted I almost never watch movies multiple times unless I absolutely love them)

Personally I found a second viewing to be hugely rewarding . In particular the non-traditional structure of the central mystery.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agreed. I liked the movie more as I view it again without expectations. I've revisited the movie couple of times after my theatrical views and it enjoy it slightly more everytime.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:04 pm
The Kramer

Much like Parasite, this was good the first time and even better the second. Craig should have won best actor over Joaquin.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]