Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Ford v Ferrari 

Rate This Film
A 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Ford v Ferrari 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Ford v Ferrari

Quote:
Ford v Ferrari (titled Le Mans '66 in the UK and other territories)[3] is a 2019 American sports drama film directed by James Mangold, and written by Jez Butterworth, John-Henry Butterworth, and Jason Keller. It stars Matt Damon and Christian Bale, while Jon Bernthal, Caitriona Balfe, Tracy Letts, Josh Lucas, Noah Jupe, Remo Girone, and Ray McKinnon appear in supporting roles.

The plot follows an eccentric, determined team of American engineers and designers, led by automotive visionary Carroll Shelby and his British driver, Ken Miles, who are dispatched by Henry Ford II and Lee Iacocca with the mission of building the Ford GT40, a new racing car with the potential to finally defeat the perennially dominant Ferrari racing team at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans race in France. In early stages of the film's production, Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt were cast in the starring roles, but those plans fell through. Mangold was then hired in February 2018, and Damon, Bale, and the rest of the cast joined that summer. Filming began in July 2018 in California and lasted a little over two months.

Ford v Ferrari had its world premiere at the Telluride Film Festival on August 30, 2019, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on November 15, 2019, by 20th Century Fox. The film received positive reviews from critics, who lauded the performances and racing sequences.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:27 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: Ford v Ferrari
A truly superb film. An old fashioned star driven crowd-pleaser with great racing sequences mixed with personal moments, this is a must see on the big screen. Bale and Damon have great chemistry here and are proof that big stars are still worth the price of admission. The sound, editing and cinematography are all top notch. I cant see this not winning a bunch of tech Oscars.

Grade : A

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:06 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Absolutely loved this as well. Both actors do great but in particular Damon (in a comparatively small role) comes out best for me. The long run-time drove by very fast (pun intended) and I generally don't like race car movies but this really got me involved into racing scenes (though I think it was more about great direction from Mangold). The second best movie for me this year after Parasite.

8/10

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:52 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I agree Damon played Shelby perfectly. Best he's been in a while.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm
Extraordinary

I really enjoyed this too, wasn't really keen to see it but it was pretty entertaining and very well made.

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:23 am
The Kramer

Meh. Despite what the title would suggest, the only real conflict here is between creative, out of the box thinkers and sniveling corporate suits. And this conflict happens over and over and over and over. Then, in a moment of heroic humility, our heroes finally give in to the sniveling suits and are promptly rewarded with defeat and death. Good story bro.

And why so much Greta Van Fleet? Those coca cola endorsements couldn't pay for the rights to real Zeppelin?

Visually, it is a fantastically made movie though. Bale is brilliant as usual (especially with whatever the fuck he was doing with his chin) and Damon adds a southern, blue-collar tweak to his star power.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:16 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Magnus wrote:
. The proper title for the film is Les Man ‘66 as it was titled in many countries.

If the proper title is Less Man '66 it would have a greater chance with the feminist crowd.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:39 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

It would be a better movie.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:25 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I guess if you think Christian Bale has ever driven a car in his life...

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:33 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Females just don't cut it at the highest levels of motor racing. Contrary to popular belief there are a good number in the sport but very few make it to the upper echelons. When one does - it will be a marketing dream.

The film itself is superb. Both sexes love it.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Meh. Despite what the title would suggest, the only real conflict here is between creative, out of the box thinkers and sniveling corporate suits. And this conflict happens over and over and over and over. Then, in a moment of heroic humility, our heroes finally give in to the sniveling suits and are promptly rewarded with defeat and death. Good story bro.

Welcome to the corporate world mixed with 1960s Motorsport (where sadly deaths were an almost weekly occurrence).

I think the best example of "Ford v Ferrari" in the film (outside of the final race) was Enzo using Ford to up his price with the Agnelli family (FIAT). Ferrari was in a deep hole at the time and Enzo used Ford to sell his company but retain leadership of the racing team. It plays out beautifully in the film.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:46 pm
The Kramer

That scene is good. I liked most of the first half of this movie, through the "I want you to go to war scene." I was fired up. Like fuck yeah let's see what these boys can do and if they can really beat a Ferrari now. But like two scenes later, Dawn of the Dead guy is back, once again trying to kick Bale off the team. Then we get to Daytona, with additional huge stakes and fuck yeah let's find out if Bale and Damon really can beat the best of the best. But nope, their only competition is Dawn of the Dead stacking the odds against them. But they still win and that's awesome and now we can find out if Bale and Damon can beat the Ferrari once and for all - fuck yeah. But nope, there's never any doubt that they'll beat the Ferrari and once again the only thing standing in their way is Dawn of the Dead trying to sabotage them, until he eventually figures out an idea that works.

It'd be like if Michael Myers ran out onto the live aid stage at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody and shouted NO STOP SAYING DAYO THAT'S NOT THE WAY WE DO THINGS. And then Freddy dies of vocal stress two days later.

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:35 pm
Veteran

Well done both in the technical categories and powerhouse performances from Damon and Bale. A movie I would buy on blu-ray.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:44 am
On autopilot for the summer

I like that Josh Lucas came out of retirement to play a dick again oh so effortlessly. I thought he was going to be doing Home Depot ads til the end of time.

Good movie. It needed one more edit as it does feel dry at times. I's good with great performances but doesn't quite hit the 7rpm spot the film talks about so much, but it's slickly made. Probably the best racing movie made for quite some time. Mangold remains probably the most reliable director of his generation. Everyone always brings their A game, and the end result always stays in the good to fantastic.

Aftermath is so rushed though, I think the more interesting movie lies there. I tend to dislike movies that gloss over the most interesting parts. They could have trimmed 45 minutes to allow that, but the story it told was solid

Seriously though, after this, Knives Out, and the Irishman, I am ready for a 90 minute comedy. Or just Food Network or SVU binge.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:27 am
Forum General

This was pretty damn great. Just a good old fashioned sports drama with a big budget and a awesome cast. I really loved all the racing scenes in this, especially the entire third act that takes place at Le Mans '66. Damon and Bale were fantastic in their roles, and I really enjoyed their chemistry throughout, but man I think this will really clean up at the Oscars with a whole bunch of tech noms. Like MadGez said the sound, cinematography and editing are all very top notch and kudos to Josh Lucas for being in this and playing one of the most unlikable, smug, corporate douche bags ever, because the man is still great at it.

A-

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:58 pm
Hold the door!

Good racing scenes. Story was good but way too slow and long and drawn out. Felt it could have been far shorter.

B

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:04 am

That scene is good. I liked most of the first half of this movie, through the "I want you to go to war scene." I was fired up. Like fuck yeah let's see what these boys can do and if they can really beat a Ferrari now. But like two scenes later, Dawn of the Dead guy is back, once again trying to kick Bale off the team. Then we get to Daytona, with additional huge stakes and fuck yeah let's find out if Bale and Damon really can beat the best of the best. But nope, their only competition is Dawn of the Dead stacking the odds against them. But they still win and that's awesome and now we can find out if Bale and Damon can beat the Ferrari once and for all - fuck yeah. But nope, there's never any doubt that they'll beat the Ferrari and once again the only thing standing in their way is Dawn of the Dead trying to sabotage them, until he eventually figures out an idea that works.

It'd be like if Michael Myers ran out onto the live aid stage at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody and shouted NO STOP SAYING DAYO THAT'S NOT THE WAY WE DO THINGS. And then Freddy dies of vocal stress two days later.

Lol, the Dawn of the Dead guy was on their side. Josh Lucas was the dickhead.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:14 am
The Kramer

Thegun wrote:

Lol, the Dawn of the Dead guy was on their side. Josh Lucas was the dickhead.
I forgot that Josh Lucas and Jake Weber were different people. :P

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:33 am

A lot of it is fictional so it's not too big a deal. But it all does play out nicely.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:43 am
Keeping it Light

One of the very solid dramas of last year, it's very good in the first half, but especially the depiction of the LeMans race is when it gets very excellent and thrilling to watch. Bale, Damon and Balfe are great and the film throws an emotional punch around with how it ends as well. The additional history lesson it offers is a fascinating bonus. I'm glad for the recognition it received.

A-

Tue May 05, 2020 4:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]