Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Midway (2019) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Midway (2019) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Midway (2019)

Quote:
Midway is a 2019 American war film based on the story of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the subsequent Battle of Midway during World War II. Directed by Roland Emmerich, who produced the film with Harald Kloser, and written by Wes Tooke, the film features an ensemble cast, including Ed Skrein, Patrick Wilson, Luke Evans, Aaron Eckhart, Nick Jonas, Mandy Moore, Dennis Quaid and Woody Harrelson.

A passion project of Emmerich's, he had trouble getting financial support for the film before finally fundraising most of the budget and officially announcing it in 2017. Much of the cast joined in summer 2018 and filming began in Hawaii that September, also taking place in Montreal.

Midway was theatrically released by Lionsgate in the United States on November 8, 2019.

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:27 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Midway (2019)
It isn't too bad, but doesn't compare well to more dramatic and better executed Pearl Harbor. Midway makes use of shaky CGI and most of the cast are those that are known but just quite not stars. I liked it for it's historical story and with that educative angle and the dogfighting between planes is exciting enough. But the story just feels better made for a documentary as the film is just too unimpressive overall and the bloated budget was not worth it I feel.

C+

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:01 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah I remember not being impressed by it as much because we are supposed to care for characters that we haven't invested before or they are not written very well. By the time action scenes start you are already exhausted and want the movie to end. There are no surprises/twists or anything memorable along with dialogues or speeches. I think this would have worked if some of the side stories might have been cut to bring focus to events that mattered OR they could have made a REALLY long 4+ hours movie (I wouldn't have been able to sit through that either because its Emmerich after all).

Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:38 am
Superfreak

This makes me appreciate Michael Bay's incredible special effects in Pearl Harbor even more. This looks like a video game compared that almost 20 year old film. The production values with PEARL are just 100x better than this despite the age difference. That said, the story here ids way better than PEARL. Making Nimitz, Yamamoto, Best etc actual characters was an excellent decision and makes PEARLs decision to go go with fictional people all the more bizarre considering the very compelling people that were a part of this.

Jack Sparrow's idea of a mega-budgeted, 4 hour film - or 2 2-hour films - is actually a very interesting idea.

Film 1:
-Build up to PEARL establishing naive USA
-PH attack
-Aftermath and initial attacks
-End with USA struggling but about to discover plan to invade Midway

Film 2:
-Begin with massive intelligence success with crack that Japanese were planning to raid MIDWAY
-Focus on build up and actual execution of MIDWAY battle
-End with rousing AMERICAN victory

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]