Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 
Keeping it Light

Post Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

Quote:
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (also known simply as Hobbs & Shaw) is a 2019 American action film directed by David Leitch and written by Chris Morgan and Drew Pearce, from a story by Morgan. It is a spin-off of The Fast and the Furious franchise centered around the titular Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw, characters introduced in the main series. Starring Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham, the film follows the unlikely allies who are forced to team up against a greater threat. Idris Elba, Vanessa Kirby, and Helen Mirren also star.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:29 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
The cameos were both cool and annoying lol

This was alright, forgettable tbh but surprisingly it was kinda refreshing as this feels like a summer movie but we haven't really gotten a non comic book movie action film this summer yet. Idris Elba was kinda wasted tbh. Vanessa Kirby was pretty cool.

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:42 am
Forum General

I had really fun time with this one. The Rock and Jason Statham's chemistry was really on point most of the time even if not all the jokes landed. I really enjoyed the fact that this felt like an action/buddy cop flick straight out of the 80 or 90's. Sure the plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense and all the action sequences are really over the top, but so are the latter F&F movies and I've been enjoying those movies for all those same reasons. I also, really liked how Idris Elba and Vanessa Kirby were utilized in this. The cameos from Helen Mirren and
Spoiler: show
Ryan Reynolds
were pretty fun too. I didn't care too much for the
Spoiler: show
Kevin Hart
cameo though.

B

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:14 pm
100% That Bitch

The best film in all of the F&F franchise. Vin Diesel can GTFO.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:01 pm
We had our time together

Best time I had in a theater this year.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Entertaining in a brain liquefying way but objectively a bad movie with an ending that’s notably goofier than the previous two hours.

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:54 pm
The Kramer

It's a lot of fun, as one would expect. All the actions scenes are crazy entertaining and the banter between the leads is mostly hilarious (The Rock definitely won the movie in this regard.) Vanessa Kirby is also awesome and I love that she is now a big part of two major action franchises, John Wick 4 should be calling her any day now.

The movie is about 20 minutes too long though. The Samoan battle was fun and all, but the time in between that and the escape in Russia was rough. Roman Reigns is more of a distraction than Reynolds and Hart combined and he doesn't even get any lines. :funny: It kind of felt like a Transformers movie near the end, with the action just continuing on and on while the villains try to achieve their ridiculously complex master plan. So they're gonna melt everyone's insides so they have to no choice but to replace their natural organs with nanobots? Righttttttt. I was also hoping they'd reveal the Fast version of Bluto here, but no such luck, I guess Keanu was busy.

So for 3/4ths of the runtime it is at your usual Fast quality standard (as in if you really like 5-8 then you will probably really like this), but it stumbles a bit near the end, when those movies, especially 5 and 6, ended so strong.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:18 pm
Waitress in LA

It's weird watching a feature-length uncut version of a film's trailer. That's literally what this is: one singular schtick, Shaw meeting-up and clashing and buddying-up with Hobbs, masquerading as an action flick. Has the same bombastic star-meets-star marketing tone, that "He's an [BLEEP]" line and Shaw's clapping in the elevator, etc; that self-conscious aesthetic of the trailers, is the tone of the whole first hour. And it doesn't work. The franchise elevated when the Rock joined because it went off-the-chain irreverent with its action set pieces; here it's taken that irreverence for granted, the focus going from heists and car racing to star-hype and character egos.

Idris plays a better adversary than expected, but the transformers shit with the motorbikes was like something from GI Joe, in a bad way. But the weirdest thing happens just after the halfway mark, when for fuck knows what reason, everyone suddenly goes to Samoa. Made as much sense as Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L Jackson jumping off the building at the beginning of The Other Guys; and fuck me was Hobbs' mother a shit actor, something made worse by the fact she looks younger than her son was supposed to be. That whole Samoan thing was like racist propaganda from the 40s, is how culturally superficial and needless it was. Clearly the Rock's own personal plot line he's wanted to have -- could've done a lot better if you ask me.

I dunno, it's watchable, sort of, but those last few Justin Lin-directed F&F entries have some of the best 80s-style action ever filmed, so it was never going to compare well. Would say it's better than Tokyo Drift, but way too lazy an effort to be in the mix with the rest.

D+

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:47 pm
Keeping it Light

It's a pretty good time in the F&F universe. Johnson and Statham continue to play well off each other and the rest of the cast is good, the "celeb" supporting roles I thought worked especially well too. The action is no less than over the top, but I think it clicks with good choreography. The film does on on for too long and I got kind of got less interested in it as it went on. It might end up a bit forgettable, but it's entertaining enough to dub it a successful spin-off.

B

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:20 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Johnson and Statham are great in this and they carry this movie throughout, providing the action as well as comic relief. Their banter is the best thing this series has done in the past. The movie stumbles in the final act with the Samoa arc but before that its on par 5-7 F&F movies.

C+

Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]