Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The Lion King (2019) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
F 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9

The Lion King (2019) 
Keeping it Light

Post The Lion King (2019)

Quote:
The Lion King is a 2019 American photorealistic computer-animated musical drama film directed and produced by Jon Favreau, with a screenplay written by Jeff Nathanson, and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. It is a photorealistic computer-animated remake of Disney's traditionally animated 1994 film of the same name. The film stars the voices of Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Alfre Woodard, Billy Eichner, John Kani, John Oliver and Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, as well as James Earl Jones reprising his original role as Mufasa.

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:31 am
Keeping it Light

Post Re: The Lion King (2019)
It's fine, it doesn't capture the magic of the original even though the CGI is quite marvelous. There's nothing really wrong with the film, but it just doesn't manage to make anything besides the visuals worth watching. The voice cast is good, especially nice to hear James Earl Jones as Mufasa, but the songs never land with much impact like they did at the original, they basically don't feel well integrated. There's a bit of the odd animals speaking and their mouths not syncing, though it's not really a detractor. The film doesn't to capture the angst of a young Simba well, and it also gets a bit boring how it goes through the motions in replicating the original. No matter how great it is visually, it can't make up for that. Though it does help that the "good" animals have a nice cuteness factor to it.

C+

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:47 am
Extraordinary

THE LION KING

Visually it's amazing. Wonderful. When you think that everything is just generated it just amazes me. I haven't seen the animated version in forever so this was more fresh to me. I thought it was entertaining and funny. If mufasa's death made folks cry last time, I didn't notice much of that. I liked most of the voice cast except for the two dumb hyenas but I know they weren't too bright in the original either yet it feels more out of place in a live setting. I enjoyed the musical numbers as I really enjoyed the original soundtrack of late. I thought all of them were well done especially with Eichner. I assume that's him singing. He nailed that 100. I don't think I'd watch this again though. I was always more of an Aladdin/BATB fan over TLK.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:06 pm
100% That Bitch

A+
Haters can go suck Scar's dick.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:12 pm
Forum General

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Yeah it's mostly a shot for shot remake and it isn't as emotionally effective as the animated film, but visually it looked gorgeous throughout and I loved pretty much every scene with Seth Rogen's Pumba and Billy Eichner's Timon. I thought Chiwetel Ejiofor was great as Scar as well which kind of surprised me considering I didn't know how I would feel about him based off of that second trailer. He's no Jeremy Irons, but I liked that he brought his own sinister vibe to the movie, and I would even say that his version of Scar felt a bit more visceral at times too compared to Irons. I do wish that they did more with John Kani as Rifiki though because he felt really underused and sadly while I didn't think their vocal performances were bad Donald Glover and Beyonce are easily the weakest parts of this movie along with the hyenas not being given much to do either. I enjoyed all the song numbers though even the one's I know people have been complaining about like Be Prepared and Spirit although I agree that it was somewhat misplaced.

B

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:38 pm
Forum General

Everything in the first half (and climax) pales a great deal in comparison to the highlights from the original film.

The Timon and Pumbaa dynamic was the only improvement.

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:59 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was so bland. And frankly the vocal performances were almost all terrible, with the exception of Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Didn't hate it but it's just such a derivative film. At lesst the other live action films added extra material, this one is literally the animated one but somehow 30 minutes longer. The music is so effective and nostalgic but I can't imagine picking to watch this over the animated version.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:48 pm
The Kramer

The animals look cute when they are doing animal things. They just look weird when they are acting though. The technology wasn’t there yet.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:53 am
Hold the door!

Meh. It was entertaining but not memorable beyond pretty impressive special effects.

C

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:30 am
Devil's Advocate

They did as well as you could hope for in the visuals, the humor worked with Rogan, Eichner and Oliver, and Scar was a good villain, you could feel the delusion and self loathing without making them tell you about it. WIth that said, it still ultimately feels a little too artificial and contrived

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]