Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Crawl 

Rate this film:
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Crawl 
Keeping it Light

Post Crawl

Crawl is a 2019 American disaster horror film directed by Alexandre Aja and written by Michael and Shawn Rasmussen. It stars Kaya Scodelario and Barry Pepper as a daughter and father who get trapped in their home during a Category 5 hurricane and are hunted by alligators.

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:58 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Crawl
I came for the chomping, and while I wish there was a bit more of it, there are enough dumb people that wind up as dinner, and its for the best. Crawl is more of a Descent than a Deep Blue Sea though. The tension built up by the claustrophobia, rising waters and unresolved familial issues is enough for a proper horror movie even before you add the giant alligators. And while both main characters make poor decisions that result in some light, non-fatal chomping, I was rooting for them enough to make all those near misses in the finale Very exciting.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:02 pm
Pure Phase

I enjoyed it a lot. Though it is notably less nihilistic and brutal than High Tension and The Hills Have Eyes, it is much more serious than Alexandre Aja's prior aquatic creature feature, the horror comedy Piranha 3D, which leaned into the bikinis-and-bloodshed grind-house spirit of yesteryear with knowing glee. It almost register as a tonal misstep here when Bill Haley's "See You Later, Alligator" drolly plays over the end credits because the film overall does not play as a gag, but rather as a lean, effective, survival-themed suspense film. It has a genuinely claustrophobic and eerie setting (a rapidly flooding crawlspace) and capable, convincingly emotional lead performances by Barry Pepper and Kaya Scodelario.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:24 am
Forum General

Now, that was awesome. This flick ended up being exactly what I wanted it to be and then some. Just a breezy, summer, popcorn creature feature in the vein of a lot of the monster movies from the 90's and god do I miss films like this. Easily Aja's best since The Hills Have Eyes remake IMO. I also loved the fact that they didn't shy away from the gore either. There were some pretty damn gruesome deaths in this, but what else do you expect with Aja at the helm.

B+

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:49 am
On autopilot for the summer

You don't get this kind of film anymore. Maybe that's why the reviews are so kind, giving it a throwback royalty luster. If you like this type of movie you will enjoy it, never quite hits the level it's going for.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:35 pm
Extraordinary

CRAWL

I enjoyed this movie. When you can make a film with gators and two main actors have that last for 90 minutes that's some good work. I liked the action, the setting, the jump scares. I think there were multiple intense moments from what I recall such as when she had to swim to the boat with three gators on her tail and when she had a gator twisting her arm underwater. It was actually pretty entertaining the more I recall. I might watch it again now. A couple things I didn't like but that's more a horror movie issue where this girl got 5 people killed by either distraction or seeking help. I also wasn't a huge fan of the actress heavy breathing moments. Way too much of that. I think the director probably should have got the girl from Evil Dead or wouldn't it have been more interesting with Zendaya in this role or some other girl of that level. Oh and the dog lives. Praise!

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This still stays as a great movie to watch for some alligator action. The characters still make stupid decision but the dynamic of family trouble, claustrophobia, incoming typhoon make them interesting to see. The herd of alligators manage to chew a lot of people in the process as well along with bits and pieces of the two leads. The movie is brisk and well paced not spending too much time to overstay its welcome. And the dog easily survives ;)

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:29 am
Indiana Jones IV

Great seeing Aja do something, that is on the level of his talents. This is just a really effective, visually superb, nail-biting creature feature. It's very simple and focused, succeeding greatly in all areas where it needs to succeed. One of the best horror movies of recent years.

8/10.

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]