Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Yesterday 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Yesterday 
Keeping it Light

Post Yesterday

Quote:
Yesterday is a 2019 British musical fantasy comedy drama film directed by Danny Boyle and written by Richard Curtis, from a story by Jack Barth and Curtis. The film stars Himesh Patel as a musician who, after an accident, finds himself as the only person who remembers The Beatles, and becomes famous taking credit for writing and performing their songs. Lily James, Ed Sheeran, and Kate McKinnon also star.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:30 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Yesterday
Really couldn't get into this. It a great premise of everyone's dream of some sort just extremely one note. Who doesn't wish they could just do everything someone great already did? But it's just way too formulaic and never goes for anything, Also the guy isn't the best vocally so that always took me out of his songs (no easy task he did fine) I think it'll be a better conversation film than a film itself. Kind of reminds me a lot of The Invention of Lying. B-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:49 pm
Wallflower

How is Lily James? She's mainly why I want to see it. Also I love Richard Curtis movies.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:30 am
On autopilot for the summer

She didn't really do anything for me. More in that "I always knew people would listen to you" doe eyed enthusiasm, and doesn't understand his reluctance. The more I think about this movie the less I like it. It suffers the same fate a lot of these smaller films unfortunately are relying on these days.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:24 am
Pure Phase

It is a cute, fleeting film in it way, but it definitely ties A Life Less Ordinary as Danny Boyle's most minor film. And I am not sure the high concept entirely won me over or if it is realized properly. What soars: Himesh Patel and Lily James both possess highly charismatic and natural screen presences, and their love story is adorable because of it (though her train-station ultimatum seems a tad unfair). And though this ultimately registers more as a Richard Curtis screenplay than a Boyle film, the legendary Trainspotting director lenses and cuts it with characteristic agility, color, and verve.

In an x-factor sense I cannot entirely put my finger on, I wish the film's Beatles fandom felt more genuine or complex. It frequently amounts to a few recognizable passages of a Beatles song, performed on an acoustic guitar à la street performers or as fast-paced, high-gloss guitar pop, and then a peripheral character, mouth agape, declares what a sensational song it is. It starts to feel superficial. Is any particular Beatles song even important to our hero? Is Paul, John, George, or Ringo his favorite? Is anyone intrigued or confused by out-of-time-in-the-21st-century references in the lyrics? When the plot comes 'round to "Eleanor Rigby," I thought the film might explore this song's unusual (for pop) themes and character sketches: the isolation experienced by an elderly woman and a wary priest. But Yesterday does not have time for this, as a rule.

A few of the beats also just left me cold. The revelation of a nearly-80-year-old John Lennon living quietly by the sea, fulfilled with his long life and decidedly not famous, is an immense and rather strange notion, and this film's bite-sized, sweet-moment treatment of it cannot do it justice. Other staples of British culture, such as Harry Potter or Beatles acolytes Oasis, not existing are clever, playful. Lennon being...un-murdered? Not so sure.

In general, I feel the story loses steam when it transitions from England to L.A. Kate McKinnon is hideously broad and one-note as the avaricious agent.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:52 pm
The Kramer

Great visuals and sound as you’d expect from a Danny Boyle film. I loved any part that didn’t involve talking, except when Kate McKinnon broke the 4th wall and pointed out how bad the writing in this movie was.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:38 pm
Extraordinary

I thought it was entertaining but I think what stopper me from being totally in love with this movie is I didn't buy the romance
I bought Lily James but I felt the dude wasn't interested at all and felt an obligation to declare his love.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:27 am
The Kramer

My last post was too mean, I did enjoy it, but got really frustrated by the end and then started thinking about other parts that could have been better.

An example: I know it's a movie about the Beatles catalog, but they mention the song 'Wonderwall' by Oasis several times. It is the first song she ever saw him sing and fell in love with him at that moment. He later googles the song and finds out that indeed, the Gallagher brothers would have been creatively castrated without the existence of the Beatles. So there he is at the end, confessing to the world that he stole the songs from people in an alternate reality, confessing to his longtime best friend that he loves, confessing that he's not really as talented as Ed Sheran and wouldn't it have just been a perfect time to debut this brand new song no one has ever heard called 'Wonderwall' to make her fall in love with him all over again? Or maybe, if she had never heard him perform that song in the first place she never fully fell in love with him, and its the absence of her love that makes him realize he loved her the entire time. Does any of this happen? Nope! Instead we get her current boyfriend saying "I always knew she'd leave me for you, but hey Obla Di Obla Da life goes on." Come on it was so easy, a hanging curve, but the script was more interested in getting back to the dugout as quick as possible. It's especially frustrating that Yesterday has no interest in exploring the world outside of these two characters other than little side jokes, but then can't even land that.

All that being said, I still liked it. Incredible visual sequences from Boyle and Ross that made all the other nonsense worth it.

As much as I like The Beatles and Harry Potter, that'd be a fair trade for no cigarettes.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 am
Devil's Advocate

Richard Curtis is definitely all over this in a good way. It's a romance at heart, and is very optimistic and positive as one would hope for a band that wrote All You Need Is Love, when with a different writer it could've been a cynical movie about the greed of record companies. The two other people who remember just wanting to thank him for playing the songs again, and meeting old John Lennon both represent the sentimentality of the movie and Curtis. Lily James makes you fall in love with her and making them start the movie at kiss on the cheek level was a little different compared to most best friends fall in love movies, but worked. Himesh Patel was super charismatic. I enjoyed the humor a lot, the awkwardness of Ed Sheeran's acting worked great, Kate McKinnon's one liners worked, and Joel Fry stole a lot of scenes while also having some insight later on. There's a lot of little touches I liked in this script like the first groups of people to hear the songs not really caring (Some people have already made up their mind once they see a loser-like guy at an open mic, not to mention don't have taste), Sheeran's 10 minute song being kind of good but also about a silly penguins metaphor he came up with while half buzzed, or the girls chasing after the Beatles thing still happens somehow. As weird a fit Boyle's style is with the sentimentality of the script, I thought it worked well and didn't overwhelm the movie with style over substance, and it is overall one of his best films.

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:05 am
100% That Bitch

It's cute enough
B-

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 pm
Wallflower

It's pleasant. Nothing special though.

6/10 (B-)

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:06 pm
Keeping it Light

It's a nice feel good film, but it's also just as generic. I was expecting more from it, and Himesh Patel is just not the convincing lead the film needs. Lily James is nice but she's played better roles as well and it just never feels Danny Boyle took this film very seriously. The Beatles songs lift the film to a pleasant state wherever the story is lacking any immersion. The relations in the film feel pretty cold and Ed Sheeran's presence doesn't add anything to the story either aside from celeb appeal.

B-

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:04 am
Forum General

This was a great concept that really wasn't executed very well. It was cute and fluffy but it had so much potential. The acting was decent across the board and it was never boring but it definitely could have been so much more.

B-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was OK. Fairly light but also predictable and kind of lame. Loved Lily James though. C+

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

thompsoncory just had to break the film's B- streak

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]