Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Back to the Future Part II 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

College Boy Z

Post Back to the Future Part II

Quote:
Back to the Future Part II is a 1989 American science fiction comedy film and the second installment of the Back to the Future trilogy. It was directed by Robert Zemeckis, written by Zemeckis and Bob Gale, and starred Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Thomas F. Wilson and Lea Thompson. Part II and the third installment of the trilogy, Back to the Future Part III, were filmed back-to-back, with some of the scenes of Part II and Part III filmed concurrently, and released six months apart. Although released in 1989 and 1990, both films continued to portray 1985 as the present, due to them directly following the events of the first film.

Continuing where Back to the Future left off, Marty McFly and Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown use the DeLorean time machine to travel to 2015. While there, Biff Tannen steals the Delorean to travel back to give his teenage self a sports almanac, creating an alternative, dystopian 1985. McFly and Doc are forced to travel to 1955 to repair the timeline. The film has a cliffhanger ending that is resolved in Part III. Back to the Future Part II was released in the United States on November 22, 1989. The film was a commercial success, earning $331.95 million at the international box office, which (unadjusted) at the time was the 12th highest grossing film worldwide, and it received mixed to positive reviews from film critics.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:40 am
loyalfromlondon

Great images, weak story. Some of the performances are pretty bad too (Shue as Fox's girlfriend). Fox does a great job in three roles though. Good visual effects.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:46 pm
The Incredible Hulk

Yup, weak story, nothing much was wrong with Marty's kids, unfortunately we will not reach that level of technoological sophistication by 2015.

Where can I get me one of those hoverboards?

Great microwave pizza.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
---------

I really love this part of the Back to the Future series, a lot more than Part III. It still does not reach the greatness of the first one, but is still good.

Grade: 88.6 , B+

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:27 pm
I'm Batman

2nd favorite movie of all time. I know most say this isn't as good as the first but I say it's right up there. Great, new, creative way of storytelling seeing the first movie through a different point of view. I love the hoverboards also.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:12 pm
Hot Fuss

Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

B+

Fri May 06, 2005 3:10 am
La Bella Vito

I absolutely loved this movie! Sequels rarely ever get in the same territory as this. The story is great, the performances are great, the special effects are great, everything is great. Also, great homage to Jaws. ;)

A

Fri May 06, 2005 3:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

It does lack the originality of the original, but it's still at least just as much fun. Seriously, I love the entire trilogy. This is summer fun blockbuster at its best and that without any sophisticated visual effects. Just goodhearted, well-made fun. The first two movies of the trilogy are a bit better than the third which seems a little out-of-place. This one just rocks. I loved the way they developed the storyline.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Squee

Not even close to as good as the Original, but I still like it.

:glare:

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:50 am
Extraordinary

It's uneven and has a weird pace about it for the first 40 minutes, but once Doc and Marty return to 1985-A and especially 1955, it picks up and is a hell of a lot of fun.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:39 am
All Star Poster

Its not a classic like the first, but I liked it alot

A

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:12 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Back to the Future Part II
This is a great time travel movie but the first half with future could have been cut short. There is too much stuffed in this so the pace feels inconsistent and the resolution while good is not as great as the original. It was good to see Biff eating manure in terms of final resolution and going back to 1985 again at times felt too much.

B+

Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:22 am
The Kramer

I used to love this movie almost as much as the first. A 2021 rewatch has dropped my opinion down a little bit for one main reason, though I still do enjoy the overall ride.

As soon as they get to the future, Doc basically roofies Jennifer because she is "asking too many questions." OK, that was kinda funny back in the day, but is now totally not cool. Still, it wouldn't be such a big deal if they left her in the car rather than leaving her body by a dumpster. Another red flag, but one that could be forgiven for their purposes.

My main problem, that I just figured out last night, is that this is the catalyst for the entire movie. If Doc Brown just relaxed a bit and let Jennifer join them on their adventure, they never would have had to save her from future Hill Valley and Old Biff would have never had the opportunity to bring the sports almanac back in time. Sidelining Jennifer nearly destroys their reality, and Doc never even takes any responsibility for it, letting Marty blame himself for buying the book in the first place.

Doc deserved to get struck by lightning.

Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:16 pm
On autopilot for the summer

How can this get "me too" for you but the first where they set up Marty molesting his mom, and ultimately has Biff try to rape her" rise in your expectation? And she is not roofied, let's make that perfectly clear. My bigger issue is that futuristic "tranq gun" only works for one person. But I agree, Jennifer is so weak, but they painted themselves into a corner with the ending of the first film. I kind of more or less laugh at the fact that say, yeah that was a bad idea "All right lets just knock her out 5 minutes in and tell her it was a dream" They needed something to give Biff enough time to steal the Delorean (her being confused with her older self is actually a great idea on paper and I like the scene at the McFly house) and they came up with Marty being distracted by a "self dog walker"

From a screenwriting aspect probably the easiest fix would have been to have Doc drop Jennifer off at her house, they then cut to night and find a quiet spot to time travel. (No one tells her it's a time machine until she is in the future) There really was no point to the sense of urgency to since they can arrive 15 minutes ahead at any point. They even could have just ignored the cliffhanger of the first film and just use that as set up as they have gone back in time a few times at that point successfully.

All of the movies have their glaring plot holes. Part III shouldn't even be a film since they could have gone back to the Delorean that he still has in the cave and fix the whole gas issue.

But I love all these movies. Part II works best for me, and more so from the behind the scenes aspect, where they developed so many new special effects and plot devices because Crispin Glover refused to be in the sequel. Robert Zemeckis with this and Who Framed Roger Rabbit changed a lot of the big budget movie making practices.

I'd love a super edgy spinoff limited series about the Tannens, lol

Back To the Future Part II A+
Back to the Future A+
Back to the Future Part III A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:57 pm
The Kramer

My problem isn’t just that it is me too, but that none of the unfortunate events that follow were necessary. If she is there, fully awake and conscious, then they just go back to 1985 and say “job well done.” The sidelining of Jennifer ends up being a monumental mistake and its done because “she was asking too many questions.” And then they drop her off by a dumpster lol. These are the people I’m supposed to be rooting for?

Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:52 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I agree with you, but it's all pretty silly.

Why the hell would Doc have Marty meet him at the mall in the first one if he has the letter that tells him he will get got shot by terrorists? First thing I would have done after Doc created Mr. Fusion was go back in time and stop him from having to use Plutonium, thus making the first movie erased from existence, because it is believable Doc could visit himself and he would believe it.

You have a valid complaint, and I agree it's stupid, I was pointing out that a lot of it is pretty stupid, and the roofie (still not a roofie, call it a micky if you want, lol) is is worse than Marty's plan to molest his mom in the first one.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]