Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Dark Phoenix 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Dark Phoenix 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Dark Phoenix

Quote:
Dark Phoenix (also known as X-Men: Dark Phoenix) is a 2019 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics X-Men characters, produced by 20th Century Fox and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is the twelfth installment in the X-Men film series, a direct sequel to X-Men: Apocalypse (2016), and the seventh and final installment in the main X-Men series. The film is written and directed by Simon Kinberg and stars an ensemble cast featuring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, Alexandra Shipp, and Jessica Chastain. In Dark Phoenix, the X-Men must face the full power of the Phoenix after a mission in space goes wrong.

After X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) erased the events of X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) from the series' timeline, Kinberg expressed interest in a new adaptation of Chris Claremont and John Byrne's "The Dark Phoenix Saga" in a future film that would be more faithful than his previous attempt with The Last Stand, which was not well received. The new adaptation was confirmed as a follow-up to Apocalypse in 2016. Kinberg signed on to make his directorial debut in June 2017, when the majority of the cast was set to return from Apocalypse. Filming began later that month in Montreal and was completed in October 2017, with the entire third act being reshot in late 2018 following poor test screenings.

Dark Phoenix was theatrically released in the United States on June 7, 2019. The film received generally mixed to negative reviews from critics, who described it as "boring" and criticized the plot and character development, although the performances (particularly McAvoy and Turner) did receive some praise.[4][5] Many critics viewed the film as a disappointing and anticlimactic conclusion to the Fox X-Men series, and it is the worst-reviewed installment of the franchise, according to Rotten Tomatoes.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:55 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Dark Phoenix
Oy.

So it's not god awful but ironically its up there with The Last Stand as one of the worst entries of the series. Sad to see the franchise go out like this.

Sophie Turner was surprisingly pretty good though. There are some cool moments here and there but it's forgettable and not the scale it should've been.

The whole alien/Jessica Chastain angle was unnecessary. That time could've been used on more of the X-Men as a lot of them barely have any screentime.

And no Quicksilver scene like in the previous two. Whut...

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:06 pm
The Kramer

Agreed with pe#1. Not good, not terrible. The script is rough. The aliens are just there for the final action scene, which would be fine if the rest of the movie hadn’t painted Charles Xavier as the real villain. Which again would be fine if it went anywhere beyond Charles “retiring” leaving Beast as head of the school. Which would be fine if Beast’s personal arc hadn’t been about leaving the school and living his own life. And yeah what happened to Quicksilver? Could have shown up at the end, done a cool bit and then give some nod to Magneto to resolve that arc.

But again, there is enough to like. The big set pieces are mostly indoors, on a train or in space so it almost always looks nice when the X-Folk are using their powers. Sophie Turner need to work on her American accent, but she looks like a star in this movie. Much like in the final two seasons of Thrones, she made the best of some very shaky writing.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:06 pm
Keeping it Light

I'd say I like it more than The Last Stand, and it has some nice action scenes, but it's very much a disappointing X-Men film. The story is just pretty boring and never feels right, there's several factors in play with that, but one that was most persistent is probably that Sophie Turner is just not a very good Jean Grey. The "old timers" Fassbender and McAvoy are still good, and a shame we had to see JLaw go, but really the film wasn't really going anywhere with her still in it either. The nice thing is that a fresh start with a whole new cast seems welcome now. I still somewhat liked this at times, the mutant powers remain entertaining, and really wish there was just more of that, especially Quicksilver. But the main failure is just to be found in that most of the characters are just not as interesting as the original cast. As a franchise film it reminds me of another Fassbender vehicle Alien: Covenant, it just feels run out of gas with its the VFX budget wasted.

C+

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 pm
The Kramer

It’s also funny that Kinberg went into so much detail about what went wrong with the first Dark Phoenix (damn you studio interference!!!!) but fucked it up even worse when he got his chance to make it right.

It hasn’t held up well, but I remember being pumped for The Last Stand back in 2006. The final battle was very exciting and I’m the juggernaut bitch!

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:18 am
Indiana Jones IV

Hell, I liked it. It's a way more satisfying telling of the Dark Phoenix story than the 2006 movie. Low expectations and some cannabis edibles helped the enjoyment factor. Plus, babe alert, Magneto is SO hot, and little Cyclops has become officially deserving of my lustful affections.

I loved seeing the X-team in some relatively low-key action scenes. So satisfying to this 90's child. Also I was crying at some points, maybe not at the intended beats, but for me there's some poignant relevance of the Dark Phoenix's emergence to the emergence of psychosis in a loved one. (although I think poor Jean said at least three tearful times, "I don't know what's happening to me," we get it hun, you said that in the last scene too).

Ummm I saw this last week and don't remember many specifics, no it's not great but it's not awful, group-think with pop culture is a thing, I'm starting to feel like Bradley Witherburryspoon.

B

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:29 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

This was whatever. It was fine. Here's some generic aliens to fight! And we're going to waste Sophie Turner! And we're going to waste Quicksilver! We're just going to waste everything! EVERYTHING WAS WASTED.

What was the point?

ugh

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:10 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its a mess and easily the worst X-Men movie because nothing is allowed to breathe and almost all characters are wasted here. Charles becomes fame hungry (what?), Charles and Mystique fight (ugh), Insert Magneto uselessly (here we go again....), Phoenix makes stupid decision (originality), Phoenix's redemption (in one scene...okay).

This shouldn't have been made at all.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Finally watched this.

Everything about this seems slight, the effects, the action, the story itself is very straightforward and none of the actors stand out here. They just know their roles well enough that they made the best of it. The story and villain are very scaled back and I feel like the scene to snap Jean out of it could have been done in the first time she freaked out. I think it would have worked better as a straight up chase from the villain movie as the only sequence that really worked was the train for me (A ticking clock plot may have worked here.) There's nothing outright embarrassing about the movie, but everything about it seems really low rent. Last Stand may not be the strongest of the series, but it did have real scope, its budget and effects were really felt, had impactful moments (even if rushed) and felt like a real conclusion. And the 30 years difference between 1st and this one is just ridiculous at this point. The 60s and 70s had feels to them, this and the last were totally unnecessary. And Jean, Scott, and Storm were as one note as the last incarnations, and they come across worse because of it. They should have just had gave Fassbender and Quicksilver their own movie with maybe a little X-Men.

C

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:19 am
The Kramer

Knowing that Wanda plucked Quicksilver from this reality to another at least explains one of this movie’s glaring faults. :funny:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:22 am
On autopilot for the summer

I really don't understand the action sequences of this movie. That shuttle scene could have been quite possibly the best sequence ever in a X-Men movie, it was over like a botched bank robbery in like 2 minutes. Even the fight in New York seemed very cheap (And really a guy with fighting braids was like the main bad guy!)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]