Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Godzilla: King of the Monsters 

Grade?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 
now we know

Post Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Quote:
Godzilla: King of the Monsters is an American monster film directed and co-written by Michael Dougherty. It is a sequel to Godzilla (2014) and will be the 35th film in the Godzilla franchise, the third film in Legendary's MonsterVerse, and the third Godzilla film to be completely produced by a Hollywood studio. The film stars Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga, Millie Bobby Brown, Bradley Whitford, Sally Hawkins, Charles Dance, Thomas Middleditch, Aisha Hinds, O'Shea Jackson Jr., David Strathairn, Ken Watanabe, and Zhang Ziyi. It is one of Yoshimitsu Banno's last films as executive producer, who died on May 7, 2017.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was released on May 31, 2019, in 2D, 3D, Dolby Cinema, and IMAX.

Mon May 06, 2019 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters
I really enjoy monster movies. I liked the first two in this universe, and I liked this one. The humans are just as inconsequential as in the other films but the monster action is better and there's more of it. It delivered on what I wanted out of it. I recommend seeing it on the biggest screen with the best sound that you can. B+

Thu May 30, 2019 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

D

I love monster movies too, but this was just unwatchable. Terrible dialogues, disastrous characters (Emma Russell above all) - the monster fights were good but nothing exceptional, and everything else is just DTV material. Ishiro's main scene was the best thing of this flick.

My sisters both fell asleep in the second half. Should have picked Aladdin one more time.

Thu May 30, 2019 4:33 pm
Forum General

I guess it's just a matter of managing expectations for me. I don't go in expecting good dialog or human charactors. That's filler between monster fights. If that stuff stands out in a good way, maybe this is a great movie. It's not, but I still enjoyed it.

Thu May 30, 2019 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Studio guy #1: So the problem audiences had with the first was that there was too little action and when it happened it was hard to see. How do we fix this for the sequel?

Studio guy #2: How about we have every big set piece happen during a storm at night?

Studio guy #1: Perfect

Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm
The Kramer

I’ll give props to the sound guys, and the music was good too. The best parts by far were when they used the old themes to sell a big moment. I’m actually enjoying these end credits more than the movie itself. Otherwise this is dreadful. The acting, direction and writing are embarrassing. I facepalmed more than I did at Aquaman, but that movie at least entertained me enough with its spectacle. King of the Monsters couldn’t even give me that.

Thu May 30, 2019 6:31 pm
The Kramer

And where the fuck was King Kong?

Thu May 30, 2019 6:33 pm
Forum General

Well I had a good time with this movie. It has its issues, but overall I ended up enjoying it for the most part, especially when it came to the monster action. Rodan and KG stole the show IMO and had some pretty badass moments. I do wish Mothra got more screen time and more to do in the fights, but you can definitely tell Doughtery is a Godzilla fan, especially the stuff from the Toho era which I recognized immediately. So many cool little easter eggs and references to the past movies and I loved how certain themes were used. The human stuff isn't great, but it didn't ruin or bog the movie down IMO. It was just there and honestly I got such a fun 90's disaster movie vibe from alot of it which I know some people won't consider a good thing, but if you grew up enjoying stuff like the original Independence Day than it shouldn't bother you.I also did actually like some of the characters too like Kyle Chandler, Bradely Whitford and Thomas Middleditch. Ken Watanabe was much better here than in the 2014 Godzilla as well, although Charles Dance, Sally Hawkins and Vera Farmiga to a degree did feel kind of wasted. Millie Bobbie Brown was just ok too, but I didn't get all that invested in her character anyways. Still can't wait for KVG next year either.

B

Thu May 30, 2019 11:44 pm
The Antichrist

SolC9 wrote:
I guess it's just a matter of managing expectations for me. I don't go in expecting good dialog or human charactors.

Me neither. But there's a difference between bland dialogues/characters and embarassing ones. Also, it's hard to just ignore it when this messy sit-com among dull actors covers almost half of the movie.

Fri May 31, 2019 3:47 am
now we know

This film is a turd. The monsters are secondary in their own movie. Everything is shot at night. Godzilla gets his ass kicked .... TWICE! He's not really the king. The only way he wins is because of human intervention. And I have no fucking clue how King Kong is going to match up to him being that he's 20 times smaller. This film is just awful. All the action is obscured or too close or simply cut away from so we can linger at someone's face. The human side to this film is overbearing. Like, I don't give a shit about some girl, SHOW ME THE MONSTERS FIGHTING!!! I couldn't care less about human problems or this Orca box thing, I came to see monsters, and we're just not given what we paid for. And the story is just a rehash of Endgame's exterminate/rebuild plan. Vera Farmiga is essentially Thanos. I feel we're going to get that type of plot a lot in the coming years, especially the more scientists claim we're 10 years then 5 years then 3 years away from it being too late to save the planet.

Anyway, I thought this was going to be a much more carefully crafted blockbuster film. It is nothing like its marketing makes out. The poster campaign is stunning. The actual film is a bore. It film reminds me a lot of Pacific Rim: Uprising and Independence Day: Resurgence in terms of the quality drop-off from the first film. But here it feels gargantuan. The first is a masterpiece compared to this piece of shit.

Fri May 31, 2019 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

"If he's coming, he's coming to feed, to fight, and to f....something more intimate" - cringe-worthy PG-13 dialogue!!!!

Fri May 31, 2019 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This is a pretty sore sight to the eyes, it's really, really too visually dark, I don't remember any film as bad as this one in that aspect. All the human characters are thin and wasted, it's very much blockbuster staple, but they kind of ruin that too with boring hard to see action. The film is just a plethora of effects that have no emotional impact. I can only say that I really wasn't expecting much either, and that therefor I didn't even think it was that bad. But it's obvious that it's cliched and unspectacular in execution. Then again the cliches actually offer some familiar 90s blockbuster comfort as perhaps the only thing enjoyed about it, other than that I can't think of any redeeming qualities to praise it for.

D+

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:12 am
Extraordinary

Heh, so I looked up my old review from the first Godzilla and I guess I enjoy that film more upon later viewings because I only gave it a B at the time. Well, the same issues I complained about the first time are back again in this film somehow. It's like they completely ignored the complaints and just doubled down on what didn't work that left a bad taste in people after they watched it. I kind of want to see this again but knowing I have to sit through all those human interactions feels like such a chore I don't think I have the strength right now. Anyway below is my original review+complaints.

Grade - C

Spoiler: show
GODZILLA

#1. 1998 Godzilla isn't even Godzilla so strike that from your memories.

Godzilla was my most anticipated film this summer and it unfortunately kind of let me down but gave me satisfaction as well. We know that it will get a sequel which will hopefully correct the major issue in this film. In this film, what hurts it most is the overabundance of human characters where an attempt to build some emotional connection is forced upon us. I did enjoy Cranston and Binoche and could have tolerated ATJ alot more if it were left at that. Instead we get this family dynamic with Olsen and child which was flat, boring and a waste of time for her (acting wise) and the viewer. It was such a distraction and break in the flow of the film everytime it cut to one of them. Watanabe was okay but the other female of note Hawkins was a total waste as well. It's like they hired these actors for the sake of filling space. Like there was a quota that had to be met. Now what did work and fantastically so was anything involving Godzilla and the MUTOS. Godzilla was fully realized here and the sound was perfect. I like how he's just this lumbering beast come out of nowhere to set balance to the earth out of instinct. He's this ancient protector of sorts and the earth is his domain. The action between the creatures was exciting and the EMP power of the MUTOS was a cool touch as well. After the first viewing I kind of felt there wasn't enough Godzilla and too much teasing and cutting away from action early on but maybe they had just the right amount. If you have an hour of Godzilla fighting that would get old fast but for the amount given in the film I was greatly satisfied. I look forward to #2 and hope they can reign in the human character count and keep it more focused on 1-2 characters plus Godzilla next time.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:50 am
We had our time together

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Studio guy #1: So the problem audiences had with the first was that there was too little action and when it happened it was hard to see. How do we fix this for the sequel?

Studio guy #2: How about we have every big set piece happen during a storm at night?

Studio guy #1: Perfect

:funny: this sums it up pretty well.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I really enjoyed it. And now I see why the Japanese are giving it strong reviews, with many calling the film the first tribute (a very strong word) to their franchise rather than bashing it like every prior attempt. It's the first American adaptation that felt like it actually cared about its source material for once. B+.

I had little interest in the human story, so any issues there were easily overlooked/ignored. The film delivered in its messaging(*), as well as adapting these classic characters with modern technology (while using proper designs) and offering satisfactory battles as well. Yeah, yeah, most of the action scenes take place at night/during a storm once again, but everyone receives solid screen time (though I wouldn't have minded a little more Mothra). And Bear McCreary's score is aces, and using the original themes by Ifukube and Koseki really, really elevated this adaptation.

*Whereas the original Godzilla (and franchise), was/is an allegory for nuclear testing, this film certainly felt like an allegory in regards to climate change. King Ghidorah being broken free from ice in Antarctica, and then bringing a super-powered hurricane with him everywhere he went is pretty telling (and no better place than DC to show most of it). This was a nice way of staying true to the original series by Dougherty.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Corpse wrote:
I really enjoyed it. And now I see why the Japanese are giving it strong reviews, with many calling the film the first tribute (a very strong word) to their franchise rather than bashing it like every prior attempt. It's the first American adaptation that felt like it actually cared about its source material for once. B+.

Agreed.

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:45 am
Child Actor

I enjoyed it despite the subpar acting. However, I went in with no expectations acting wise. I was hoping this would at least be faithful to the Japanese films in some way. I didn't have any issues seeing the fight scenes. They were dark in parts of the movie, but I wasn't distracted or put off by it.

I thought the cinematography was great, the shots of the monsters solo and in fights were impressive & stunning. I enjoyed the use of colors as well between each monster.

This is better and more enjoyable than the '14 film, for me.

B-

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:21 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It has cool monster action and the designs are REALLY good but overall a big step down from the previous film. I don't know what they could have improved because everything seems decent but missed.

1. Monsters have good design and screentime but their fights have same but bigger issues than the last movie
2. Good actors but they are written too thinly
3. Decent concept but everything is just too rushed to get a faded/darkened/stormy monster fight
4. They build the stakes among monsters but fail to deliver after their fight

A big step down from the 2014 version.

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]