Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 A Dog's Journey 

Grade?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

A Dog's Journey 
now we know

Post A Dog's Journey

Quote:
A Dog's Journey is an American comedy-drama directed by Gail Mancuso and written by W. Bruce Cameron, Cathryn Michon, Maya Forbes, and Wally Wolodarsky. The film is based on the 2012 novel of the same name by W. Bruce Cameron and a sequel to the 2017 film A Dog's Purpose. The film stars Josh Gad, Dennis Quaid, Marg Helgenberger, Betty Gilpin, Kathryn Prescott Emma Volk and Henry Lau.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:52 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: A Dog's Journey
I like the central idea of this franchise; that a dog travels through many bodies to come full circle or fulfill a promise. The first film is better because it features a lot more Dennis Quaid. He's in this much less, and it shows. I liked it a lot more whenever he's on screen, which is at the start and at the end doing, in my opinion, a commendable old person. But I would have liked it if the idea of a man that believes these dogs he sees are his old pal Bailey was the central plot, and not what actually was. If he went to the papers and tried to tell his story, tried to find proof, seeing his life in the village as the crazed older man, etc. Rather than what we actually got which was just too much to jam into one film - and more-or-less a copy of the first. We have the usual soppy-ness, multiple dead dogs, as well as relationship melodrama, an alcoholic mum, a guy that gets cancer and then gets cured of it, then they get pregnant and have a child...it's packed. And it moves very fast.

And what it's packed with isn't much good. White males do not come off very good in this film. Sure, I get that it was made for the Chinese, but this takes the piss. The only stand up, well-groomed, decent, sensible man in the film is the Chinese man. And he even defeats cancer! Such a hero. The white men? Low-lives or uncaring scumbags.

It's really awkward viewing when CJ (Kathryn Prescott) comes home to her adult male partner. The same actress just played her when she was a teenager, now she's shacked up with a man that could be her father. She looks too young to play a twentysomething. At least make the partner look young.

Sun May 26, 2019 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]