Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Highwaymen 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Highwaymen 
Keeping it Light

Post The Highwaymen

Quote:
The Highwaymen is a 2019 American crime film directed by John Lee Hancock and written by John Fusco. The film follows Frank Hamer and Maney Gault (Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson), two Texas Rangers who attempt to track down and apprehend notorious criminals Bonnie and Clyde in the 1930s. Kathy Bates, John Carroll Lynch, Kim Dickens, Thomas Mann and William Sadler also star.

The Highwaymen began a limited theatrical release in the United States on March 15, 2019 and was released digitally on March 29, 2019 on Netflix.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:52 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Highwaymen
I thought this was pretty solid, although I was hoping for something a bit more memorable. It's been a couple of days since I've seen it and honestly I can't remember much about it that actually stood out besides the performances. It's a very well acted, well shot and well made film, but its also a little too long and I have to admit finding it kind of dull at times. I did really appreciate the portrayal of Bonnie and Clyde in this though. They don't try to make them sympathetic at all, and the sequences were they go on an all out killing spree were quite effective and horrifying IMO.

B

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:28 pm
now we know

Post Re: The Highwaymen
I really wanted to love this, but it feels like a TV series condensed into a movie. Quite slow and drawn out, with 90% of the film dedicated to Hamer and Gault following Bonnie & Clyde's tail, showing up at various crime scenes after-the-fact, and we never seen B&C. The shootout at the end is cool but it's not worth seeing the film just for that, and Woody and Costner don't have enough camaraderie in the preceding 2 hours to make this an entertaining enough cops and robbers thriller. The most interesting part was probably the credits photographs and accompanying real-life information.

There is also a strange scene in the middle of the film between Costner and Sadler where they attempt a sort of compare/contrast between Hamer and Clyde. Are they trying to create sympathy for Clyde? What's really the point of that scene? It goes nowhere and is never really touched upon again. Of course, it doesn't help that we only see Clyde for the first time in the film a few seconds before he dies. I'd have removed that scene from the film.

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]