Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Beach Bum 

Grade?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Beach Bum 
now we know

Post The Beach Bum

Quote:
The Beach Bum is a 2019 American comedy written and directed by Harmony Korine. The plot follows the misadventures of Moondog (Matthew McConaughey), a rebellious burnout who only knows how to live life by his own rules. Snoop Dogg, Isla Fisher, Zac Efron, Jimmy Buffett, Martin Lawrence and Jonah Hill also star.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Beach Bum
Truly bizarre but I dug it for the most part. You could tell everyone was high out of their mind while filming this, which isn't a bad thing for this. It doesn't go anywhere but it's amusing.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:03 am
Forum General

Such a weird fucking film, but damn did I have a blast watching it. It's really entertaining, and so much better than this directors previous film Spring Breakers. Like Serenity which is another McConaughey film I really enjoyed he once again shows off his talent, although in a different light and just owns the screen from start to finish. It's not the funniest film ever, but there were at least three or four scenes in this were I laughed harder than anything else I have seen this year. I absolutely loved the scenes with Snoop Dogg, Zac Effron and Martin Lawrence in this, although they aren't in it much. Hell I even loved the bits with whatever the hell Jonah Hill was supposed to be lol and honestly wish he was in it more. That dude is truly a chameleon when it comes to acting, but that shouldn't be much of a surprise at this point considering his level of talent.

B+

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:20 pm
Pure Phase

I am not sure what I thought of this film, to be honest. It does what it promises on the surface: Harmony Korine revives the sunset-splendor-meets-neon-sleaze aesthetic of the awesome Spring Breakers, and it certainly pays feature-length homage to the "all right, all right,all right" popular perception of Matthew McConaughey as well-baked (by the sun and otherwise) with a bongo in one hand and a beer or joint in the other. But I struggled mightily to fall under its spell. I constantly felt aware of its machinations: every stunt-casting cameo, every debauched set piece, every archetypal McConaughey tic dialed to eleven. They do not gel and flow so much as...accumulate, certain ones more effective than others, à la an episode of Saturday Night Live hosted by Matthew McConaughey, except he is playing the same character in every sketch. There is this line in the sand separating a groovy, ready-made cult classic from a movie endeavoring, at once skillfully and blatantly, to be a groovy, ready-made cult classic. This seems more the latter, in my opinion. Comparing this to superficially similar films I adore, such as Inherent Vice and Under the Silver Lake or even Spring Breakers, I wonder if it would help if McConaughey's Moondog faced more coherent and/or involving dramatic stakes or encountered a character who pushed more aggressively against his turn-on-tune-in-drop-out ethos. Maybe this is a square notion, and maybe a neo-noir undercurrent would render the film even more derivative of The Big Lebowski, but...who knows?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]