Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Dumbo (2019) 

Grade?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Dumbo (2019) 
now we know

Post Dumbo (2019)

Quote:
Dumbo is a 2019 American fantasy adventure directed by Tim Burton, with a screenplay written by Ehren Kruger. It is inspired by Walt Disney's 1941 animated film of the same name, itself based on the novel by Helen Aberson and Harold Pearl. The film stars Colin Farrell, Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Eva Green, and Alan Arkin.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Dumbo (2019)
I enjoyed it. To be honest, my childhood memories of the original are vague, and I have not watched it in around 25 years, so I entered with no significant preconceived notions or comparison-based expectations. It plays within a very safe sandbox and won't blow anyone's mind, but it delivers the expected beats—a family overcoming tragedy, camaraderie among outsiders at the circus, elephant-flying set pieces—with a swift pace, a modest sense of humor, and stylistic aplomb. It may be Tim Burton at his least adventurous, but his direction feels more confident than in the forgettable Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and the dreadful, the-disappointment-still-stings Dark Shadows. He has his general Disney mission statement (a few tears, a lot of uplift and whimsy) and a milieu primed for lavish production design, and he rises to the occasion. And the cast is strong: Colin Farrell is brooding, dashing, and rides a horse while Eva Green smoulders and long-time Burton collaborators Danny DeVito and Michael Keaton deliciously devour the scenery. Keaton in particular is a joy, doubling down on every old-school "Michael Keaton" tic to play a sneeringly dandified impresario.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:28 pm
Hold the door!

This was ok but disappointing. It was very pretty to look at but the story lacked substance. The elephants are the only characters you care about

B-

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:49 pm
Extraordinary

Visually gorgeous but the story itself is rather uninvolving.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:45 pm
now we know

This is up there with the likes of The Jungle Book in terms of Disney’s live-action remakes. I suppose the fact that it’s a perfectly created CGI main character helps. The other remakes such as Cinderella and Beauty and The Beast were hideous recreations of classic character imagery which meant I had to invest in a modern-day actor – and I couldn’t do it. So Dumbo is a good film, and you’d expect nothing less with Burton at the helm. It’s dark and a bit flamboyant, but again it is Tim Burton. With this one, though, there’s no Helena Bonham-Carter, so yay! The biggest loser of the entire project is Colin Farrell. Poor old Colin Farrell. He is completely out of touch with this film. He’s just lost in a film that should’ve gone to a Matt Damon type or a Jon Hamm type. At least an American. Such poor casting, and not even a triumphant attempt. Nothing particularly impressed me in Dumbo. I liked the flying scenes, but I’ve learned nothing more about the character or story than I already more-or-less knew already. I guess it is just one of the best examples of a Disney live-action remake where the production has taken fewer liberties. It feels purer than the rest. More safe. Less risky. However you want to paint it up or down, I appreciated that about it. Anyway, it passed the time. My son fell asleep half-way through.

The little girl in it is not only beautiful but an exact likeness for a teenage, white version of Thandie Newton.

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

This was actually quite a joy to watch.

It's just well made and a return to form for Burton.CGI is good and kept to a minimum.

Worth watching.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:21 am
Forum General

Dumbo is the most adorable CGI creation in ages.

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:25 pm
Forum General

I actually enjoyed this quite a bit as well. I really liked the cast in particular Colin Farrell, Michael Keaton, Danny Devito and Eva Green, but the kids were on the weaker side IMO. Dumbo was really cute though and I thought the CGI, especially during the flying scenes looked great. It did feel a little safe for a Tim Burton film though, but man did the set designs in this movie look amazing. The Dreamland setpieces were fantastic and you could definitely see the budget on the screen which makes me feel a bit sadder that it flopped so badly at the BO, especially since I think its one of Burton's better films.

B

Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]