Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shazam! 

Grade?
A 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
C 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Shazam! 
now we know

Post Shazam!

Quote:
Shazam! is an American superhero film based on the DC Comics character of the same name. Directed by David F. Sandberg from a screenplay by Henry Gayden, and a story by Gayden and Darren Lemke, the film stars Asher Angel as Billy Batson, a teenage boy who can transform via the magic word "Shazam" into an adult superhero, played by Zachary Levi. Shazam! also features Mark Strong, Grace Fulton, Jack Dylan Grazer, and Djimon Hounsou as supporting characters.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Shazam!
Has anyone seen this movie yet?

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm
Extraordinary

I'm in line for a screening right now, hope I get in. :|

Edit: welp didn't get in, Saturday it is :pinch:

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 pm
Romosexual!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I'm in line for a screening right now, hope I get in. :|

Edit: welp didn't get in, Saturday it is :pinch:

Yah seeing it Saturday as well. At least we’re seeing it 2 weeks early

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 pm
Veteran

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Has anyone seen this movie yet?

Saw the 4:00 sneak preview or whatever they are calling the shows for Saturday 3/23.

Spoiler: show
It’s basically PG Deadpool, Big, Creepshow (Father’s Day, Something to Tide You Over,) Spider-Man (Rami,) Superman 2 (Lester/Donner,) with a little bit of Harry Potter or Hogwarts added to the mix. I would put it up with the first 2 Spiderman’s (Rami), the first 2 Superman’s (Reeve), the first 2 Nolan Batmans, and Dr. Strange. ATM I would put it behind Dark Knight, However, that is probably euphoria that it didn’t suck, and my wife really enjoyed it. I will see it again in a theater, which I haven’t done since Dark Knight Rises which it didn’t deserve. Current grade: A

I used to watch the CBS show with Isis back in the 1970s every Saturday. I bought a couple of Shazam comics, but I thought it was a bit hokey. I usually bought only Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and whatever horror comic looked good. I am not a big fan of the current Marvel and DC movies. Other than the Spider-Man Homecoming, Dr. Strange, Wonderwoman, Guardians of the Galaxy, and about 2/3’s of Black Panther and the last Avenger, I thought all the others I have seen were really boring. I have not seen a movie in a theater since BlacKkKlansmen last August.

This is a kid’s movie and it is FUCKING FANTASTIC.* In terms of superhero movies, this was the best I have felt leaving a theater since Superman 2. The best I have ever felt was leaving after seeing Blue Velvet. If Dark Knight is The Godfather of Superhero movies, this is the Blue Velvet of kid’s Superhero movies.

*If mdana uses all caps when reviewing a movie, get your ass off the internet and into a seat for the next showing.

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Love this movie. Soo much heart. Take your family with you and see it ASAP.

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 pm
Extraordinary

It was very enjoyable. Levi is awesome and the humor for the most part lands.

I will say [spoiler] Cavill not doing that cameo is pretty infuriating lol like you know how much more that ending would've worked? Oh well

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:07 am
Extraordinary

1. Man of Steel
2. Wonder Woman
3. BvS Ultimate Edition
4. Shazam!
5. Aquaman
6. Justice League
7. Suicide Squad

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:12 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It's a DC movie for sure (they are still unsure how far to blend comedy with serious tones) and while I liked Shazam! better than Aquaman and WW, given the reviews I thought this was overrated. Levi was perfectly cast for this role, his innocent over the top tone from Chuck works perfectly here. The MVP for me was Grazer even when he is annoying at times. Loved the initial build-up of Strong's character which is very rare these days. The villains are formidable as you'd expect from DC but I felt they were treated like black ogres in the final act specially after the twist. I liked the family solution in the end but something felt off; the others weren't as competent.

The discovery of superpowers became very repetitive and annoying "oh hey I can fly" in one scene when he did that in a scene before or when we have seen those trailers with a serious face. Also what the hell was he doing with that music box on the street? Earning money? Seriously? I can understand people watching it but why would they call him a superhero? Because he wore a dress and cape? He even racks a bus before few people get seriously injured while he is joking down with a bed. This part specially reminded me of DC/Snyder's superhero movies where these characters consider hero-work as a job and not responsibility. The much needed sense of fear/dread and rewards from initial build-up of Strong's villain were dealt by rushing story to push it in direction of the finale. And I know it's trying to be a family movie but the final fight was a small scale MoS ripoff (no reaping benefits of family/teamwork). All they did was fly in the end without much of a challenge to each other. The fight in the mall was choreographed much better than the finale.

I believe the sting from BvS and JL is still so fresh that critics have low expectations from DC movies but this is no where close to the sense of discovering powers theme we saw in just last year's Spiderman into the Spider-verse movie. The best way to summarize it is that it's a perfect Deadpool PG version and does what it intends to do in a fun way.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:17 pm
now we know

Eh, it's fun. Feels very small in scale and a bit of a wasted opportunity with a stop in the action for a gag every few minutes. It's unable to build any momentum. But I guess it's just aiming much lower than most other superhero movies. Levi is fine, I guess. Honestly I was bit bored by the time I realised nothing much was really going to happen. The first half is more enjoyable than the second because by half-way it has plateaued and doesn't raise the stakes or gags or anything. And multiple Shazams is a bit lame. Is that going to happen in every movie now?

It's better than Wonder Woman and Justice League and Aquaman but nowhere near Man of Steel or even BvS. DC still can't touch that masterpiece. It's serviceable entertainment, nothing more.

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:14 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

All of the stuff with the kids is great.

All of the stuff with Mark Strong is not great.

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:45 am
Keeping it Light

I liked it, there's some good fun in the film. I don't think it was really deep, both the family drama and the scope of being a superhero in this day and age of films were small scale, but the former was decently done for a comic book adaption. The film excels the most at the moment when all the kids become Shazam-ed and that was the best part to watch, from scene one I already saw Adam Brody in that other kid. Levi is good as Shazam and it's a much more rounded film than DC's previous films. The villain(s) were just not very interesting and it doesn't scream sequel for me, but at least I'm curious about what DC films are coming next.

B-

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:51 pm
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
It's better than Wonder Woman and Justice League and Aquaman but nowhere near Man of Steel

And yeah that's where I'm feeling with this too. It's finally something that feels capable again, but it still hasn't been able to present something very good since MoS.

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:56 pm
Extraordinary

I give it an A. I thought it was a very funny and the cast was great. It was the best DC movie since Dark Knight.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Saw it again. There are some weak elements in the beginning but when Billy transforms to Shazam the movie is elevated so much thanks to Levi. I think they did a bad job casting Billy tbh but Levi (and his chemistry with Jack Dylan Grazer) is so good that it's not a humungous problen.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:57 pm
Extraordinary

SHAZAM!

Um. It was okay, nothing great. I did like the origin business some of it anyway. I think they could have done more with the costume. It didn't have to look like that. Sometimes change is good. The lightning symbol while neat with the motion cloud effects was just too big. Asher Angel and Jack Grazer were good. I liked them in the film. Zach Levi while good some of the time for me. Idk if he was best for this role. Maybe he was too buff for this role. Also, the visuals with the demons was kind of lame and they could afford to make their mouths move when speaking? What's up with that? The villain was also lame. He was really offputting but not in any good acting sort of way. The character was just bad. Mark Strong is just over the top bad for me here. I did like the moment when Billy shared the power with the other kids for a second but when it was all just more children and even that adult who had to act like a 7 year old or whatever. No, that didn't work. Finally, I was slightly perplexed when I heard his mom say she was only 17 when she abandoned him. The kid looked like he was 3...at least 3 to me or that was one big ass child. The end credits were lame too. Get rid of that boring villain.

Grade - C

1. BvS Ultimate Edition
2. Man of Steel
3. Wonder Woman
4. Aquaman
5. Suicide Squad
6. Shazam!
7. Justice League

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:43 pm
Forum General

I had an absolute blast with this. Easily my second favorite DCEU film, although that probably isn't saying much considering most of them haven't done in it for me. Yeah its really small in scale, and the action isn't all that memorable, but I had a big smile on my face throughout most of it and I never found it not entertaining. Maybe a bit long considering its over 2 hours and it does feel kind of repetitive at times with the humor/gags, but I loved the overall energetic feel of this movie and Zachary Levi definitely has a lot to do with that. Really solid casting IMO and I also think I enjoyed his banter with Grazer more than Asher Angel. Both are quite good in this, but idk Asher Angel's Billy Batson was kind of a dick at times. I also thought Mark Strong was great here, and honestly I don't understand why he is getting so much flack.

Sure he's a little generic, but I also found him to be pretty damn sinister and scary in some scenes and I liked that he had such a dark edge to his character. The kids getting Shazamed towards the end was a fun sequence too, especially seeing the actors they got to play them like Meagan Good, Adam Brody and D.J. Cotrona.

B+

1. Aquaman
2. Shazam!
3. BvS Ultimate Edition
4. Man of Steel
5. Justice League
6. Suicide Squad
7. Wonder Woman

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:50 pm
Extraordinary

nghtvsn wrote:
SHAZAM!

Um. It was okay, nothing great. I did like the origin business some of it anyway. I think they could have done more with the costume. It didn't have to look like that. Sometimes change is good. The lightning symbol while neat with the motion cloud effects was just too big. Asher Angel and Jack Grazer were good. I liked them in the film. Zach Levi while good some of the time for me. Idk if he was best for this role. Maybe he was too buff for this role. Also, the visuals with the demons was kind of lame and they could afford to make their mouths move when speaking? What's up with that? The villain was also lame. He was really offputting but not in any good acting sort of way. The character was just bad. Mark Strong is just over the top bad for me here. I did like the moment when Billy shared the power with the other kids for a second but when it was all just more children and even that adult who had to act like a 7 year old or whatever. No, that didn't work. Finally, I was slightly perplexed when I heard his mom say she was only 17 when she abandoned him. The kid looked like he was 3...at least 3 to me or that was one big ass child. The end credits were lame too. Get rid of that boring villain.

Grade - C

1. BvS Ultimate Edition
2. Man of Steel
3. Wonder Woman
4. Aquaman
5. Suicide Squad
6. Shazam!
7. Justice League

You thought Levi didn't fit the role for being too buff? :|

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:31 am
Extraordinary

Guys can be too muscled up. It’s possible but that and that hideous suit.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:54 am
Keeping it Light

The mom said she was 17 when she had him, not when she abandoned him.

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:34 am
The Kramer

Levy was good and very funny, I get they are trying to make him the new Pratt. John Cena would have been perfect for the role though since he basically is Shazam in real life.

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:48 pm
now we know

The mum didn't specify. She just said "I was 17..". Could've been talking about the abandonment or the birth. We don't know.

And I'm surprised at the hate for the villain in this. I thought he was fine. Actually better than Shazam. He was already aware of his powers and using them, which I dug more than the stop-start approach to Shazam. And the multiple Shazams, I thought that was used too early. It should have been kept for a sequel where just one Shazam isn't enough to overcome a new type of threat or something. It's been played too soon now, but I guess that's typical of DC.

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It's fine. I'd enjoy a tighter cut closer to a 90 minutes. There are so many repetitive scenes/moments, particularly in the third act.

They used the same "someone standing center frame...beat...something hits them/falls on top of them, etc." set-up like a dozen times.

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I give this a solid B

two problems I had

- The Seven Deadly Sins: Started off pretty menacingly but by the end of the film they were pretty much generic CGI monsters. I am also not sure how they even connected to the seven deadly sins.

- The fight between Billy and Freddy when Freddy accuses Billy of being a "bully". Huh, when did this happen? And wasn't Freddy encouraging his behavior just a little bit ago and enjoying the perks of it  and now because he won't show up at the school to show off for him Billy is now a bad person? This whole part felt like there was something missing. 

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:02 pm
now we know

I just remembered this morning while walking to the office that when the Asian boy turns into his Shazam, the first time he shoots electric bolts from his hands he says "hadouken". That made me chuckle.

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next