Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Donnybrook 

Grade?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Donnybrook 
now we know

Post Donnybrook

Quote:
Donnybrook is a 2018 American-French drama, written and directed by Tim Sutton. It is based upon the novel of the same name by Frank Bill. It stars Jamie Bell, Frank Grillo, James Badge Dale, and Margaret Qualley.

It had its world premiere at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival, in the Platform program. It was released on February 15, 2019, by IFC Films.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Post Re: Donnybrook
This was pretty much awful. Had about 30 minutes of story dragged out to 100 excruciatingly dull minutes. Frank Grillo plays about the most irredeemably awful people you could come up with. He kills people right and left, the last one being his sister (Margaret Qualley).

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:45 pm
Forum General

Yeah its pretty dull, but its also really well shot and I thought Jamie Bell gave a pretty solid performance. After seeing this and the directors last movie Dark Night I still don't know why he feels so inspired to make these bleak and depressing fucking movies with absolutely no likable characters though. I mean Frank Grillo's character is just a mindless psychopath for almost no reason, and the stuff with his sister was super bizarre. I didn't even understand why they used James Badge Dale the way they did, because it felt like his character added absolutely nothing to the story anyways.

C-

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:59 pm
now we know

It's an odd film. On the one hand, the cinematography is sublime and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen, but on the other hand it's far too slow, makes little sense, and the sound mixing is pretty awful.

Why did Grillo kill the kid? I get that he's a drug dealer and that Jarhead Earl's girl was a junkie, but why did Grillo have it in for them so bad? And especially enough to kill a child? Or was he just a psycho and that's all the explanation we should need?

The violence was well done and nicely choreographed, the little there was of it - and the final kill is off-screen which just ruins the whole thing. I guess the highlight of the film is seeing a full frontal Margaret Qualley. The overall tone of the film suggested that something more important was taking place. And "Donnybrook" was over fairly quickly. I was expecting a tournament or something. This is no Bloodsport. I'm a bit disappointed now, sitting here thinking about the film.

Sun May 05, 2019 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]