Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Mulan 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Mulan 
College Boy Z

Post Mulan
Mulan

Quote:
Mulan is a 1998 American animated film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation, and released by Walt Disney Pictures on June 19, 1998. The thirty-sixth animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics, and a part of the Disney Renaissance, the film is based on the Chinese legend of Hua Mulan. Mulan was the first of three features produced primarily at the Disney animation studio at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida. It was directed by Tony Bancroft and Barry Cook, with story and screenplay by Robert D. San Souci, Rita Hsiao, Philip LaZebnik, Chris Sanders, Eugenia Bostwick-Singer, and Raymond Singer. Development for the film began in 1994, when a number of artistic supervisors were sent to China to receive artistic and cultural inspiration. Mulan was well-received by critics and the public, grossing $304 million, earning Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations, and winning several Annie Awards including Best Animated Feature.

Fa Mulan (Ming-Na) is the only daughter of aged warrior Fa Zhou (Soon-Tek Oh). She impersonates a man and takes her father's place during a general conscription to counter a fictitious Hun invasion led by Shan Yu (Miguel Ferrer). Along with her guardian dragon Mushu (Eddie Murphy), her captain, Li Shang (B. D. Wong), a lucky cricket, "Cri-kee," and her companions, Yao, Ling, and Chien-Po, she battles the invading Hun army.

Enjoyable. It's not my favorite Disney flick, but I liked it. B

Sun May 01, 2005 3:43 pm
Forum General

Not as good as many other Disney films but still a good film.

7/10 (B)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 01, 2005 4:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
La Bella Vito

I don't really like it. The animation is dazzeling, but I thought the music sucked. One of my least favorite Disney films.

C

Sun May 01, 2005 7:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Heh. One of my favorite Disney movies, actually.

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."

A

Sun May 01, 2005 8:45 pm
Extraordinary

It also is one of my favourites of the Disney oeuvre - strong female central character, great culturally authentic story, and solid comic relief...

5 out of 5.

Sun May 01, 2005 9:27 pm
Extraordinary

I also agree that this is one of Disney's higher quality films. The 90's was really a great decade for Disney. A

Sun May 01, 2005 9:32 pm
Team Kris

"I'll Make A Man Out of You" is what really sold me to this film. Oh, and it's pretty good too.

A-

Sun May 01, 2005 11:22 pm
Forum General

I'm SHOCKED PinkPanther didn't like this :-k

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon May 02, 2005 11:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is easily one of Disney's best films. A crowning achievement that is one of the best films of the '90s

10/10 (A+)

Mon May 02, 2005 10:55 pm
Profile YIM
Christian's #1 Fan

One of Disney's best hand-drawn animated films of the 1990's, second only to Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. A truly amazing film, with great songs and a really great story. Eddie Murphy is utterly hillarious.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:05 am
All Star Poster

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
thompsoncory wrote:
This is easily one of Disney's best films. A crowning achievement that is one of the best films of the '90s

10/10 (A+)

+1

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:39 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Mulan
An old timey callback war film whose main conflict is within itself. No not Mulan’s desire to be a man, which is assumed by everyone but her, but on whether it is a serious social war film or a classic Disney adventure. You can have both at once, but not if your main character has no interest in it. I think if they doubled down on her own individual quirks and held back on the “Kill her for being a woman!!!” parts this could be up there with the greats.

It still has a lot of good stuff though. I was invested in her and Mushu’s personal journeys. And it was nice that the atleast the villain didn’t resort to “How could I be beaten by a girl???” Shen Mu seemed like a pretty good dude outside of the brutal rampaging. So I’d put it a tier higher than stuff like Pocahantas and The Little Mermaid. B+

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This and the recent live-action versions are pretty much good-but-not-classic movies. The story is decent but there are so many stronger aspects that are left unexplored. The animation is amazing but I felt Mulan and Mushu's personal transformation was uneventful. The castle scenes with the king's capture are great and some really decent ideas to beat the villain in the end. B

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 am
Hold the door!

This is pretty good but not one of my favorites. Mulan is a good character but the movie lacks strong supporting characters and the villain is weak. The animation is beautiful, and the songs are still pretty good. But there was definitely more potential here, IMO. Definitely should have gone for a more dramatic tone, the constant comedy takes away from the story.

Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:11 am
Veteran

zwackerm wrote:
This is pretty good but not one of my favorites. Mulan is a good character but the movie lacks strong supporting characters and the villain is weak. The animation is beautiful, and the songs are still pretty good. But there was definitely more potential here, IMO. Definitely should have gone for a more dramatic tone, the constant comedy takes away from the story.

How did you like the live action rendition?

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:24 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

lilmac wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

He hates it because they removed Mushu :P

Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:50 am
Hold the door!

lilmac wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Pretty but lacked substance.

Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]