Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

Quote:
The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (also known as The Conjuring 3) is a 2021 American supernatural horror film directed by Michael Chaves, with a screenplay by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick from a story by Johnson-McGoldrick and James Wan. The film serves as a sequel to The Conjuring (2013) and The Conjuring 2 (2016), and as the eighth installment in the Conjuring Universe. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga reprise their roles as paranormal investigators and authors Ed and Lorraine Warren, with Ruairi O'Connor, Sarah Catherine Hook, and Julian Hilliard also starring. Wan and Peter Safran return to produce the film, which is based on the trial of Arne Cheyenne Johnson, a murder trial that took place in 1981 Connecticut.

Initial development for a third Conjuring film began in 2016, though Wan stated that he would not be directing another film in the series due to scheduling conflicts with other projects. Safran confirmed that the next film would not be a haunted house film. By June 2017, it was officially announced that a third installment was in development, with David Leslie Johnson hired to write the screenplay. Michael Chaves was announced as the film's director, after previously directing The Curse of La Llorona (2019). Filming took place in Georgia in summer 2019.

Originally slated for a September 2020 release, the film was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It was released by Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema in the United States on June 4, 2021, where it also has a simultaneous month-long release on the HBO Max streaming service. The film received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the performances of Wilson and Farmiga but noted it as weaker than previous Conjuring installments.

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:20 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
This is one of the franchise that gives so much attention to characters and side objects/myths/curses that it makes it interesting but at heart this was a great paranormal movie which part 3 completely fails to conjur. The acting from the two leads is great and they almost carry the entire movie, the cinematography is again aces but then comes in direction from Michael Chaves that keeps the bringing the movie down. The story had merits and some interesting points but the screenplay fails to maintain any conceptual coherence. The haunting and paranormal elements are missing throughout and the worst of all is ending. Its not as bad some some of the spin-offs but its definitely weaker in comparison to previous two main entries of the franchise.

C+

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:26 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I enjoyed this. It's not even close to the first film in terms of quality but about on par with the second for me. The performances were great. B

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:46 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Disappointing. It definitely has quality scares, anything involving the fat demon is very well done, but damn this movie is boring and stupid. James Wan is sorely missed, though at least he was smart enough to bail on this for his own original. Also missed is the haunted house. The demons can strike anywhere the plot requires! Includng different movie franchises as Patrick Stewart travels back in time to his role in Insidious 2!

Then there's the biggest issue of the movie; that since demons, witches and satanic curses don't actually exist, the Warrens basically help a murderer get a severely reduced prison sentence and live a happy life afterwards. This part of the story is actually tue and not only does ithurt this film, but the entire franchise. All their work and development has been leading up to this point - helping people get away with murder. It's completely absurd. I know this is before Raegan, but it eats at me to know that this guy who murdered his landlord got less prison time than people who sold a joint to their friends. Like, these sort of things did bother me before, but it was mostly harmless and necessary for the plot. For instance, in the first movie, Office Space guy says 'we heard some knocking' to which Stewart replies 'three knocks? the father, the son, and the holy ghost. Demons confirmed!" It was silly but it helps the audience along. Actually helping people get away with violent crimes just to prove they were right about demons all along is a step too far though and it has broken my connection with these characters and I don't think I'll be watching anymore of them.

If the Warrens were still around today they'd probably be out there trying to prove that demons were the reason Trump lost the election.

D

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:36 pm
100% That Bitch

As one of the best tv seasons of the pandemic year said "it's not a ghost story, it's a love story"

B+

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]