Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Welcome to Marwen 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Welcome to Marwen 
Keeping it Light

Post Welcome to Marwen

Quote:
Welcome to Marwen is a 2018 American drama film directed by Robert Zemeckis, who co-wrote the script with Caroline Thompson. It is inspired by Jeff Malmberg's 2010 documentary Marwencol. The film stars Steve Carell, Leslie Mann, Diane Kruger, Merritt Wever, Janelle Monáe, Eiza González, Gwendoline Christie, Leslie Zemeckis, and Neil Jackson, and follows the true story of Mark Hogancamp, a man struggling with PTSD who, after having his memory erased from being physically assaulted, creates a fictional village to ease his trauma. The film was released in the United States by Universal Pictures on December 21, 2018, and received generally negative reviews from critics.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:06 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Welcome to Marwen
This is a strange movie. Just the whole tone of it is bizarre and it's kind of hard to watch but also kinda fascinating.

I wouldn't say it's terrible but I think the film is just all over the place in terms of tone.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:40 pm
Pure Phase

It is a peculiar film, particularly for a mainstream, studio-financed Christmas release, but I enjoyed it. The most savage reviews are wrong, in my opinion.

There is a certain...schism between the content—an idiosyncratic outsider artist, substance abuse, cross-dressing—and Robert Zemeckis' polished, sentimental, and stylized approach, with around 40 to 50 percent of the running time devoted to motion-capture World War II sequences. It is much easier to imagine, say, Jim Jarmusch, Richard Linklater, or Gus Van Sant at the helm considering the material. But Steve Carell's graceful, sensitive, and wounded performance is a major asset. I also found the aforementioned animated sequences unique and gorgeously executed. The documentary Marwencol is far and away the Mark Hogancamp film to see, but this is a curiously satisfying artifact in its own right, and I doubt Zemeckis will ever create a stranger film.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:38 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agreed with the reviews above, its a strange film anchored by an amazing performance by Steve Carell. I felt the third half goes completely off rails and doesn't neatly tie all the themes it explores before, but the animated sequences are great to look at. I will give it a decent B-

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]