Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Favourite 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

The Favourite 
Pure Phase

Post The Favourite

Quote:
The Favourite is a 2018 historical period comedy-drama film directed by Yorgos Lanthimos and written by Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:54 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Favourite
It strangely, rapidly loses steam in its final ten or so minutes, but this is otherwise a delight. It is, in a positive way, what one would expect and hope for: an absurd and savage comedy of ambition and social climbing performed to the hilt by its three central actresses and directed with a characteristic queasy deadpan by director Yorgos Lanthimos. It is another fine achievement for Lanthimos as he carves a Wes Anderson-sized niche for himself and his distinct style and sense of humor in the film industry.

In terms of the Academy Awards as a type of political campaign, which the characters in The Favourite would enjoy, Fox Searchlight definitely made the wrong decision regarding category placements. The three ladies are being nominated regardless, but I believe Olivia Colman would have steamrolled to a victory in Best Supporting Actress. They should have placed her and Rachel Weisz there, with Emma Stone in the lead category.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is fantastic and all three of the leads are great, as is Nicholas Hoult. Emma Stone is perfectly cast here. It's hard to pick a favorite of the three because they're all hilarious and brilliant but for me the MVP is Rachel Weisz.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:31 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I saw this for the second time last night. So good.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:58 pm
Wallflower

I loved it. So fun and witty. All three actresses were excellent. My only issue is the finale which definitely starts to drag and it goes out with a slight whimper rather than a bang. But the majority of the film is excellent.

9/10 (A-)

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:43 am
The Kramer

This was a big risk for me but I didn’t hate it. It is very well shot, and the music is mostly good. And it is very erotic. Very. Though there still is alot of nonsense that keeps it from ever being great.

It also kind of plays as an opposite to Vice. A person uses dastardly means to acquire a ton of political power for themselves. But Emma actually ends a war to get what she wants, potentially saving thousands of lives. I think they should have gone further with this instead of what they did with the rabbit. “See Absolute power corrupts absolutely just like they always say.” Yet it made the world a slightly better place so does it really?

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:18 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I loved this. I tend to find period films a bit tedious, but the trio of actresses had me hooked for this.

A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:59 pm
Devil's Advocate

This is great, mainly cause I couldn't be impressed more by the combination of Colman, Stone and Weisz. I felt Stone's performance was the most complex and best of her career, there is so many layers in how she acts for different people (eg. like in the initial scenes wooing or wrestling her future husband) while motivated by the trauma of losing everything, living on the street and being raped repeatedly, etc. in the past and the need to never go back there. A superb "villain" role - Not to take anything away from Colman who deserved her Oscar for how much is written on Anne's face at all times, and Weisz who is also arguably career best in another complex character. Abigail may have dipped lower than Sara, but Sara always had wealth and a rich husband to fall back on. It's hard to tell how she would react in as desperate a situation.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:51 pm
Keeping it Light

After Poor Things I got excited to watch another YL film and this is very good too. The performances of the actress trio is what to mainly watch it for. And of those I was not that impressed by Stone, but Weisz and Colman are both just fantastic. Other than that, the film is nicely shot, the score is good and the story is interesting enough, but it doesn't quite peak in a certain way. The period setting is not really my thing so that probably plays a part in me not loving it more.

B+

Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]