Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Backtrace 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Backtrace 
Keeping it Light

Post Backtrace

Quote:
Backtrace is an American - Canadian action film directed by Brian A. Miller, released in 2018.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:54 am
now we know

Post Re: Backtrace
This is awful. It's as if a rich person that always wanted to make a movie decided to just do it. He got a director that never directed before, a screenwriter that never wrote a script before, an editor that never edited a movie before, a camera crew that never shot anything before, and actors that never acted before, and he said "do it how you think it's done. I believe in you!". The result is a shoddy and amateur piece of crap called Backtrace, that just happens to have star leads. Even the title is uninspired. It's so TV-level it's not even funny. And I don't mean True Detective TV-level, or even TV-movie level. It's like a poor man's Law & Order type of TV-level. It's just shit. Even basic ideas, such as two people walking down a corridor talking, are ruined by being spliced into multiple shots. In the final fight, torches are repeatedly shone into the camera. One of the many techniques that make Backtrace an unpleasant watch. It's so drawn out too. A cop (Colin Egglesfield) arrives at an old mill or warehouse, and the film takes about 10 whole minutes for him to enter. It procrastinates, filling the time with him just waiting outside the building while the people inside and the people back at HQ talk through the plot some more. It's just nonsense.

It is worse than Escape Plan 2: Hades, if you can imagine such a thing. But it's in the same vein of cruddy Emmett Furla productions. It's as crap as The Humanity Bureau. Real bottom-rung stuff. The funny thing is that for being top-billed, Ryan Guzman is not even seen in the advertising!

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Backtrace
This is a bad film, very much feeling like the type of stuff Nic Cage has been starring in of late, and surprising actually considering the director's (Brian A. Miller) work that Cage hasn't starred in one his films yet. Instead Miller worked on probably similar as Backtrace films (this is the first Miller film I'm seeing), with Bruce Willis, Cusack and other action guys of yesteryear. Thus considering the pedigree behind this film, and an awful trailer, I wasn't expecting much and it also really turned out to be close to nothing. Ryan Guzman, whom I've never heard of before, was actually decent in this as the somewhat lead, but Modine, once known as a fairly decent actor just fits right in with the C-cast. Stallone, pretty much leading the marketing of this film, was a good as he could be, but his on-screen time is hardly more than in Guardians 2 and he's expected to work with a awfully poor script and unimaginative dialogue. The film simply doesn't have any highlights, except in a negative way, like those torches Algren mentioned in his review. Christopher McDonald is further fun in a small role, and Lydia Hull looked not bad, but was in literally just one scene. I think calling the film TV-level is even giving it too much credit, especially with TV having gotten better over the years. The concept, or at least the story they want to tell is also just really not suitable for the budget they had at hand, and in the end it just ends up wasted. I hope Stallone invests himself in more worthy work, though this role couldn't have cost him more than a well paid week probably. It's among the worst of the year for sure, but due to managing expectations not yet quite the worst either.

D

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]