Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Sisters Brothers 

Rate this film:
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Sisters Brothers 
Keeping it Light

Post The Sisters Brothers

Quote:
The Sisters Brothers is a 2018 western dark comedy directed by Jacques Audiard from a screenplay he co-wrote with Thomas Bidegain, based on the novel of the same name by Patrick deWitt. The film stars John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix as the two notorious assassin brothers Eli and Charlie Sisters, and together they get caught up in the California Gold Rush. It is Audiard's first English-language film.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:33 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Sisters Brothers
This was a very entertaining film. I am pretty picky when it comes to westerns with only a handful of movies being my favorites, but this is definitely one of the better ones I have seen in a long time. The chemistry between Reilly and Phoenix is great here, and these are two actors I would have never imagined having any kind of on screen chemistry considering they come from such different backgrounds in terms of acting. This is the kind of western I would have expected from the Coen bothers instead of that True Grit remake that came out some years ago which was good, but it didn't feel like a Coen brothers movie to me. This is very much a dark comedy at heart, but when shit gets serious the violence is pretty brutal and even kind of disturbing at times. I just wish they had done a bit more with the Jake Gyllenhaal and Riz Ahmed characters.

B+

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:51 am
now we know

Post Re: The Sisters Brothers
Gripping film. I guess I am just enamoured with this era, this genre, this world. The performances are excellent (especially Joaquin Phoenix and my man Jake Gyllenhaal) but the story is also one-of-a-kind. It's about two bounty hunters called the Sisters Brothers (Phoenix and Reilly), who are sent by the Commodore (Rutger Hauer) to extract a formula from and then kill Mr. Warm (Riz Ahmed); a chemist that knows how to illuminate gold in rivers for easier prospecting. He is first tracked by Commodore employee, John Morris (Gyllenhaal), who befriends him and aids his plan to start a new society in Dallas with their acquired gold. Cool plot and very enjoyable watching it play out. There are some smaller details that also stand out, such as Eli experiencing a toothbrush for the first time, a spider crawling into Eli's mouth when asleep, and seeing cowboys at the beach. And it's brutal like a good western should be. A real gem of a film because it is a balancing act of joviality and camaraderie with regret and solemnity, and it nails it.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]