Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Under the Silver Lake 

Rate this film:
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Under the Silver Lake 
Keeping it Light

Post Under the Silver Lake

Quote:
Under the Silver Lake is a 2018 American neo-noir film written and directed by David Robert Mitchell and starring Andrew Garfield, Riley Keough, and Topher Grace. It follows a man who sets out on a quest to find the woman he met the night before in his apartment complex's swimming pool after she goes missing.

The film had its world premiere at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival on May 15, 2018.

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:41 pm
Top Poster

Post Re: Under the Silver Lake
This is a truly awesome movie, definitely will stand the test of time as a cult classic.

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was wild. I absolutely loved it. It was so cool.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:45 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

I loved this however unpredictable and ambiguous it may be. It's like a sort of modern noir mystery with a pinch of David Lynch about it. It's an odd, unique, quirky, and occasionally scary tale about subliminal messages and codes in pop culture, which is also linked to unemployment/homelessness, and I'm not quite sure I really get it all yet, but regardless I loved it and did not want it to end. The score, reminiscent of noir thrillers, does not take a break throughout the film, and there are a ton of visual clues related to plot points, folklore, and themes throughout the movie that will undoubtedly keep eagle-eyed theorists busy contemplating the film's messages.

David Robert Mitchell has certainly started his career in stylish fashion. Hope it continues. This could already be contender for best film of 2019.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I just learned one of my favorite bands (Silversun Pickups) has a song in this that is integral to the plot. That's awesome. Makes me want to see it more.

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:57 am
The Kramer

I enjoyed watching it, but I feel there were too many side-plots and thematic elements that were introduced and forgotten. I also don’t like when movies criticize me for choosing to spend my time watching movies instead of doing something more important.

The base of the movie is solid though. This world was a fascinating place to explore, clearly inspired by Kubrick with Hitchcock style camera work to show the anxiety Garfield is feeling at all times. His life isn’t falling apart, it’s shattered and he needs this mystery to solve, though he never seems concerned about what happens after. Is he just chasing after another beautiful woman to take him in, even though he already has a girlfriend and can seem to have sex with anyone at will? This isn’t a character you can really root for (beating up children and old men, even if they deserve it is a bad look, as is as the stalking) but he’s a good avatar to explore the underworld.

So I think this is David Robert Mitchell’s own frustration with Hollywood. People like his work, but he can never have the success he wants because a greedy god-like figure is cranking out all the hits with hidden codes that will help the chosen few rich people achieve immortality. He is special but not special enough and never had the opportunity to be. So there is no point to anything and we all might as well share in this pointless hedonistic lifestyle, locked out of ascension.

It is interesting, but a little too whiny and lacking in focus. It Follows had one strong theme that drove the plot forward and let the little things build off it.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]