Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Dave 

What grade would you give this film?
A 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Dave 
College Boy Z

Post Dave
Dave

Quote:
Dave is a 1993 comedy-drama movie written by Gary Ross, directed by Ivan Reitman, and starring Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Kevin Dunn, Ving Rhames, Ben Kingsley, Tom Dugan, and Laura Linney. Ross was nominated for an Academy Award for his screenplay which is based on Anthony Hope's novel The Prisoner of Zenda. There are also plot similarities to Mark Twain's 1881 novel The Prince and the Pauper, as well as George M. Cohan's 1932 film The Phantom President, Robert Heinlein's 1956 novel Double Star, Akira Kurosawa's 1980 film Kagemusha and Paul Mazursky's 1988 Richard Dreyfuss/Raul Julia film Moon over Parador. Kline's performance was nominated for a Golden Globe Award.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:28 pm
Mod Team Leader

One of the year's best. And one of the funniest films of the last20 years. Great cast as well.

10/10

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Delightful. Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver are wonderful. A-

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:49 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Ivan Reitman's last great movie, his career got very blah after this with only Six Days Seven nights being the only hit and Super Ex Girlfriend being pretty funny.

After Meatballs, Stripes, The Ghostbuster films, Twins and Kindergarten Cop, this is his more serious comedy side, and it works very well.

A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:58 pm
loyalfromlondon

I don't see how anyone could not like this film. A great mix of sharp satire and lighthearted comedy. Kevin Kline is superb in a dual role and the supporting cast is as good as it gets for comedy. I especially liked Ving Rhames as the secret service agent. The plot is intriguing and it plays out exceptionally well, and it's got ample doses of laugh-out-loud humour and loads of heart. The numerous cameos - both political and celebrity - are just some of the many touches that make this a great film. The clip of Oliver Stone lampooning himself on Larry King is gold. It was definitely deserving of its screenplay nod, something I was surprised it got, given its comedic nature. Fairly lighthearted, but extremely entertaining.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 pm
Veteran

Funny and inspirational with a perfect ensemble headed by Kevin Kline. A-.

Sun May 20, 2007 5:32 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Dave
Truly earns it's label of "Capra-esque."

I don't think it's quite the movie its brother The American President is, but it's still a wonderful bit of high-concept fluff. It's like getting a great big hug.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 am
htm

Yup, this is a fantastic comedy. Incredibly solid acting, a sharp script... not much more to say about it. I really enjoy myself immensely when I watch this - it's got a fantastic repeat value (along with The American President, actually).

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

This is super enjoyable and Kline is perfect in his role. It's a difficult experience watching it for the first time now than people who did in the 90s, since this both type of Hollywood drama (Manufactured wholesomeness but in a good way?) and optimism about politics are totally gone

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]