Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Robin Hood (2018) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Robin Hood (2018) 
Keeping it Light

Post Robin Hood (2018)

Quote:
Robin Hood is a 2018 American action-adventure film directed by Otto Bathurst and written by Ben Chandler and David James Kelly, from a story by Chandler. It is based on the tale of Robin Hood, and follows his training by John to steal from the Sheriff of Nottingham. The film stars Taron Egerton, Jamie Foxx, Ben Mendelsohn, Eve Hewson, Tim Minchin, and Jamie Dornan.

Robin Hood was released by Lionsgate on November 21, 2018.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:34 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Robin Hood (2018)
Dismal. At its core, it commits a similar sin as Ridley Scott's 2010 film, which is still far more accomplished and satisfying overall. It does not realize Robin Hood's charm is best encapsulated by Errol Flynn, committing acts of daring (yes, in tights) with a heavy dose of mischief, romance, and whimsy.

Scott used Robin as a bizarre Trojan horse to dramatize the origin of the Magna Carta and revisit beats in Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven. This film posits the Sheriff of Nottingham is a war profiteer responsible in large part for the Crusades in the Holy Land, and he forces the Nottingham peasantry to live in and around mines (an industrial wasteland out of Mad Max); it is as overblown as it is preposterous. (The cringe-worthy opening voice-over edgily assures us, "This is no bedtime story.") One longs for a charismatic bandit in the forest instead of a po-faced revolutionary in leather.

Director Otto Bathurst's approach feels schizophrenic, as if he followed a different studio mandate every other day on set. At times the picture plays as a fairly standard Hollywood-style medieval adventure, albeit not a very impressively staged one, but then there are abrupt, bizarre lapses into Moulin Rouge!-style anachronism and badly outdated aesthetics in the vein of 300, including egregious overuse of computer-enhanced slow motion. It never finds a consistent stylistic rhythm; the comics-panel end credits, following a sad tease of a sequel we will never see, suggest perhaps the intention was to pretend Robin Hood is a superhero, the first first Avenger. Who knows?

And though it presumably enjoyed a healthy budget, the production feels cut-rate at points, from obvious use of green-screen to official edicts and wanted posters that appear as if they were created in Microsoft Word by an intern using the most "antique" font he or she could find on the drop-down menu

Everyone in the strong-on-paper cast responds to the void by either appearing adrift (Jamie Foxx has no clue how to play his role, an Arab man trying to avenge his son's death at the hands of English soldiers, and spends his time on screen squinting and changing his accent) or doubling down on what they assume is expected of them (Ben Mendelsohn uses every snide sneer and bellicose growl in his toolbox to play the oddly stationary role of the Sheriff). I was particularly disappointed by how unimpressive Bono's daughter Eve Hewson is as Maid Marian, here conceived as an improbably stylish quasi-social activist. She delivered a sublime performance (at times eerie, at times sensual, at time vulnerable) on Steven Soderbergh's The Knick, one of my favorite television series, but none of the magnetism is on display in her first high-profile on-the-poster film role.

Gasp, Will Scarlet is TWO-FACE! And the Sheriff of Nottingham! THE END.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:44 pm
now we know

Back of the net! Great review

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

This video's point is not revelatory, but I enjoy how it is laid out and argued:

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:12 am
Extraordinary

ROBIN HOOD

First, I thought Taron Edgerton was good in the role and did it well. The problem with this is that it felt cheap. It was like a second rate version of Kevin Costner's film. I did find that early sequence in Arabia interesting. I think there was too much Legolas type action as well. Robin Hood was too video gamey with everyone he was hitting. Mendelson was his usual self complete with a cape again. Marian was meh and reminded me of a cheaper version of Emily Blunt. Music was meh as well. Definitely wouldn't watch this again and never buy it.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:23 am
On autopilot for the summer

Robin has reached that Christmas Carol field, it's just not going to be a solid movie anymore, and even if it is no one will care.. Move to TV at this point. Once Brooks parodies you, and that was 25 years ago, you've pretty much hit the bottom of the well.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm
now we know

In the same way that Peter Jackson is held responsible for the debacle that is Mortal Engines, I see no reason to let Leonardo DiCaprio get a pass with this latest Robin Hood failure. DiCaprio well and truly fucked up here. I hope they never let him produce anything ever again! And this film is a failure in mostly every department. I admit I was somewhat enjoying it for the first hour, in a superficial how-will-this-pan-out way. There were many problems but the film's spine (a soldier back from war and heartbroken that his woman is with another man) had pulled me in. But the problems are hard to ignore.

Talking of problems, the first and biggest one is the tone of the film. It's in the vein of recent medieval/sword movies like Assassin's Creed - in one ear and out the other! Everything is dark and cheap and there is no care given to any scene or sequence. Every scene is flashy and quick, with glib one-liners given all the time and a score that could've been taken from any number of other period action flicks. It's horrible. There is no sense of grandeur to the nemesis or to the hero. And the pre-title screen forewarning: "forget what you know..", is damn fine advice. You won't see a forest for 1 hour and 41 minutes, which is about 3 minutes before the end credits. Get ready for a fifty shades of dark grey action in grey cobbled streets with everyone wearing grey, and it also stars Jamie Dornan!

The second big problem: Ben Mendelsohn. He's totally out of place as the Sheriff of Nottingham. He tries, but he doesn't have a fucking clue what to do. Maybe he's actively trying not to be Alan Rickman, but this version of the Sheriff feels powerless and weak, and so he becomes utterly forgettable (something that is confirmed with his death scene - DiCaprio forgot to give the villain a big send off!). And whoever thought it would be cool for everyone to look as if they are wearing modern-day attire, they should never work in the business again. I bet DiCaprio forced that decision! Everyone is wearing leather jackets and has neatly-trimmed hair. Maid Marian has a very stylish motorcycle jacket (with cleavage!), with hair so perfectly curled as if she's out for a night on the town. It's fucking ludicrous.

Another creative problem is the action. What the fuck was DiCaprio thinking??! The first scene is so obviously trying to make it look like the Afghan/Iraq war. The sandy uniform, the bulletproof vests, the automatic rifle-esque reloading and shooting of arrows, the tactical team approach, and so on, and it just feels again so out of place. If the bows and arrows were digitally removed, you could slip the scenes into Green Zone and nobody would know.

Another big mistake is Taron Edgerton as Robin of Loxley. He's way too smug and has no charm at all. He's no Kevin Costner, but those are big boots to fill. Sadly, he's not even Russell Crowe! He is small in stature and doesn't resemble a hero. Not his voice or his clothes. He has no presence. He was the same age as Costner in Prince of Thieves, but the two men are on complete opposite ends of what the character should be. Costner was a man. Edgerton is a lad.

Jamie Foxx was passable (though again, nowhere fucking near Morgan Freeman's black sidekick). It's not saying much but he was probably the best part of the film. Though his voice went American every so often. lol. And that ending is laughable. For all the foresight DiCaprio has as an actor, he has equal amounts of not-having-a-damn-clue when it comes to being a producer. He ACTUALLY thought there would be a sequel???? :funny:

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Man was this hard to sit through. Such a misfire on so many levels and what's really sad is that its not even able to be the type of enjoyable trainwreck you might expect, but something that's just completely soulless and boring for the most part. I didn't give a shit about any of the characters including Robin Hood and I definitely didn't care for the poor excuse of a romance he had with Maid Marian in this, although I don't think the actress playing her was very good anyways. Jamie Foxx was the only one I didn't mind, because he seemed to be the only one to bring some kind of energy to this movie even though his horrible inconstant accent was laughable at times. Ben Mendelsohn is just there to chew the scenery like he always does in these generic villain roles and unfortunately I have to agree with Algren that Egerton was really miscast here as Robin Hood. Shame because I've liked the guy a lot in other stuff and while I think he definitely has charisma his Robin Hood is such an uninteresting hero. The only other positives I can think of for this movies is that it is somewhat well made in terms of the production design, but man were the action sequences here repetitive as shit and not exciting in the least. I can kind of see how that Afghanistan style sequence could have worked, but if your trying to do something that gritty your probably better off going all the way by making this a R-rated film, but of course they didn't want to do that. Oh and I absolutely fucking hated the ending as well. I've seen Jamie Dornan be good in other stuff and no matter how shitty those Fifty Shades movies are he didn't even deserve this.

F

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:38 pm
Child Actor

Come on!

I just want to leave in my memory Costner's one... where it's the delete button of my brain?... Jezz!

D

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:17 pm
now we know

Costner's Robin is the best of all-time. End of discussion.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]