Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Boy Erased 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Boy Erased 
Keeping it Light

Post Boy Erased

Quote:
Boy Erased is a 2018 American biographical drama film based on Garrard Conley's 2016 memoir of the same name. It is written for the screen and directed by Joel Edgerton, who also produces with Kerry Kohansky Roberts and Steve Golin. The film stars Lucas Hedges, Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, and Edgerton, and follows the son of Baptist parents who is forced to take part in a gay conversion therapy program.

The film had its world premiere at the Telluride Film Festival on September 1, 2018, its international premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 11, 2018, and was released in the United States on November 2, 2018, by Focus Features.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:21 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Boy Erased
It's solid, although not very memorable besides one particular scene. Maybe I would've liked it more if it didn't make me think of Miseducation of Cameron Post a majority of the time.

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:58 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

A little Oscar baity by default, but the acting is across the board fantastic and the story is timely and effectively told. B+

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:34 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

BOY ERASED

I thought the film was interesting and the whole concept of the conversion therapy presented was meh. I thought Lucas Hedges was okay. It's certainly a good role but I didn't find it all that memorable. I actually liked the performance of Kidman a bit more here especially with her speech near the end of the film. Crowe and Edgerton were okay. Troye was good in his role. I did like Lucas's lines at the end when speaking with his father about him being his son and gay and those things will never change. Will I buy this film, probably not. I would find it difficult to want to see it again.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:53 am
The Dark Knight

I agree with everything everyone has said in this topic! :)

Always be proactive

Animals are gods

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:14 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

This is an affecting movie.

Lucas Hedges plays Jared Eamons, who at 18, after admitting his want for men to his parents, is given an ultimatum by his pastor father to sign up for a conversion program on the advice of seniors from the church. The conversion camp, which is said to be the first phase of the program, is a mix of forced religious confession session and military boot camp. Participants are pressured or forced to admit their "sinful" thoughts and correct their "less-than-masculine" posture to "fake it until you make it". We get to see how this program adversely affects the lives of the young participants. We also get to see how Jared's parents (played by Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe) respond differently when Jared's suffering in the program has become unbearable and how they reconcile with Jared's sexuality.

Performance by the cast is mostly good. Casting choices for the program participants are particularly convincing but they do not get a lot of coverage. Lucas Hedges gives a calm performance that displays not a lot of outward emotions but one can feel his internalized fear. Nicole Kidman gives the vibe of a mother angel floating in the clouds, not there helping but always observing and supporting her son.

73/100

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:36 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was a great movie and I am glad that I finally watched it. The performances are great throughout specially Kidman in (what felt like a small role). The endearing parts of the movie are in second half with the father-son relationship and the tension between husband-wife relationship but those aren't explored in depth. The first half was great with the camp but then the second half needed much more than the run-of-the-mill LGBTQ story. The story and actors do the heavy lifting here but screenplay, direction could have been better.

B+

Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]